Any suggestions about Ireland??

Your platform. Get to know each other (but don't forget about us!)

Moderator: All Moderators

Any suggestions about Ireland??

Postby Wil_mar » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:10 pm

Next year my husband and i are planning a holiday in Ireland,
It will be the first time and i've heard how beautiful the westcoast is, and especcialy where Moya is born. (Donogal)
I wonder what's the best way to travel through this wonderfull land and are there suggestions about hotels, Bed and Breakfasts or anything we can spent the night.
Our daughter has recently visit Ireland and she made lots and lots of beautiul photo's.

When get more time i will post some of them here.....
Any suggestions about ireland are very welcome.

A dream will come true next year... :lol:
Wil_mar

Postby Susann » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:35 pm

Hello Wil_mar, since 2006 I’ve been every year in Ireland. Most of the time I’ve spent in Donegal. About my trips in 2010 and 2011 I wrote little reports. Last year I was also in Connemara.

If you like here are the links:

2010: http://forums.moyabrennan.com/viewtopic.php?t=3341

2011: http://forums.moyabrennan.com/viewtopic.php?t=3428

Should you have any questions it would be a pleasure for me to answer. I love talking about the Emerald Isle. I've been to some fantastic countries but Ireland is my favourite :D :D :D .
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. (Oscar Wilde)
Susann
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Dab051176 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:06 pm

If you're doing a "tour" of Ireland, Wil, you would probably be just as well to hire a car. Whilst public transport is fine in the towns and cities, it's a much more "hit and miss" affair in rural areas. I admit hiring a car isn't always cheap, but it will save yourself a lot of effort, especially if you're struggling with your health.

Like Susann, I've stayed in a few places up in Gweedore, and as I assume you would be flying into Dublin from the Netherlands, I know of a few tried and tested places in County Dublin as well. If you'd like the information, please send me a PM (private message).
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby mise » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:10 pm

That is wonderful news Wilmar. You are very lucky to go there next year. Donegal is well worth a visit. I would recommend that you spend at least a week there and stay in a few different places to get a proper feel for the area. If you don't have much time, please do be aware that you will spend whole days in the car traveling small distances (well it's not that bad, but be prepared) It's not the same as in the Netherlands. 100 km might take you close to 3 hours!
Cherish all your happy moments: They make a fine cushion for old age
mise

Postby Dubhy63 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:09 pm

I'm lucky to live in the beautiful country called Ireland and can tell you that there's so much to do and see.A major factor in your planning is the length of time you're going to spend here,like mise has said,it can take some time to get from A to B.Donegal is a must in my opinion,but it's not the only great place of course.Feel free to send me a private message,you can can do it in Dutch when it's easier for you. :D
Last edited by Dubhy63 on Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
* No man ever wore a scarf as warm as his daughter’s arm around his neck.*
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby Wil_mar » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:59 am

Thank you all very much..... I 'm really glad to hear from people who are familliar with Ireland and that makes it a lot easier to prepar for our trip to this wonderfull land. :D
Wil_mar

Postby Grania » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:40 am

If touring, I agree with the others, a car is a must, particularly if you want to visit sites in out-of-the-way areas (and some of the best places are very difficult to reach any other way!)
Donegal is of course fantastic, but if you're on the west coast I also suggest county Mayo and county Galway - both are spectacularly beautiful. It is true though that journeys generally take longer in Ireland - for example Dublin-Gweedore (Donegal) and Dublin-Westport (County Mayo) are both about 4 hours.
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby kevinkells » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:57 am

Yes seeing Ireland by car is the best way to see the country- doing a tour on a coach like I did in 04 had its advantages, but it does limit your independence.
kevinkells
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby kevinkells » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:04 am

Would that 4th picture be part of St. Kevins monastry in Co. Wicklow?...I do recall spending a few hours walking around there when in Ireland.
kevinkells
Really Enthusiastic Member

Return to Fan space