Holiday Report 2011

Your platform. Get to know each other (but don't forget about us!)

Moderator: All Moderators

Holiday Report 2011

Postby Susann » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:05 pm

A little report about my holiday in Ireland from 15th May until 17th June - Part 1

First I have to mention that I have never had such bad weather in Ireland as this year :( - but I enjoyed my trip as every year :D.

On Sunday, 15th May I flew to Dublin. I hired a car at the airport and drove to Portmagee (Co. Kerry) where I stayed for three days. Half way to Kerry I stopped at the Rock of Cashel (Co. Tipperary). I was lucky that I could visited this historic site because the next five days it was closed for the public because of the Queen’s visit there. The main reason that I went to Kerry for some days was to visit Skellig Michael. I already was there in 1993 and 2003 and now I wanted to go back with a digital camera. But unfortunately the weather was so bad that the boats couldn’t go to this stunning island. So I drove along the Ring of Kerry, visited some ruins and Derrynane House (Daniel O’Connell lived here). One day I met forum members Simi and Franz in Tralee. There we were in the Kerry County Museum and in the Crag Cave near Castleisland.

Then I was three days in Killarney. One day I walked in the Muckross Estate and the next day in the Gap of Dunloe.

On 21st May I took the Shannon ferry from Tarbert to Killimer. That day it was raining, raining, raining. I found a B&B in Kilkee and - I couldn’t believe it – at about 6 pm the clouds disappeared. I drove to Carrigaholt because I wanted to do a dolphin watching tour the next day from there. But unfortunately this was also cancelled because of the rough sea. When I was at the Loop Head Lighthouse it was very windy and the clouds came back. Later I went to the beach in Kilkee – in the darkness it looked fantastic. The next morning I wanted to see the beach at daylight. The weather had improved and so I walked to the cliffs where it was very stormy. In the afternoon I drove to the Craggaunowen Project near Quin. Here you can see aspects of Ireland’s past for instance a castle, a crannog, a ringfort and a dolmen. On the way back I stopped at Quin Friary and Clare Abbey.

Monday, 23rd May (the day when Barrack Obama came to Ireland) gale-force wind was blowing over Ireland. At Spanish Point and Lehinch I was watching the sea – it was a fascinating natural spectacle. Before I drove north I visited Dunguaire Castle in Kinvara. At about 5 pm I was in Drumcliff. Here I always stop when I go north or south. On the cemetery are many old trees and some of them lost branches. Normally these storms happen in winter times and then the trees don’t have leaves anymore so there is no danger for them. At about 8 pm I arrived my B&B in Annagry. Mary told me that there were also car accidents because of the gale. Yes, it was not easy to drive these 400 km from Kilkee to Annagry. Later I went to Leo’s were I met people I hadn’t seen for a year :) :lol: :).

Here are the photos of part 1 of my report https://picasaweb.google.com/Susann177/ ... 2011_part1
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. (Oscar Wilde)
Susann
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Dubhy63 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:24 pm

The weather wasn't really on your side Susann,but at least you made the best of it.I'm sure that you were disappointed that you couldn't visit Skellig Michael,it's one of the places which hasn't been spoilt by huge crowds.I have been there myself and would love to back again for the same reason,hopefully it will happen in the near future.You know how to pick the nice locations,we can all see this in the photos,many have a familiar look of course.No need to say that I'm looking forward to part 2,you could be a great ambassador for tourism in Ireland. :)
* No man ever wore a scarf as warm as his daughter’s arm around his neck.*
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby Susann » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:21 pm

A little report about my holiday in Ireland from 15th May until 17th June - Part 2

Unfortunately most days of my time in Donegal the weather was bad. But some days it improved in the afternoon :D :D :D. Especially in the mountains it was raining quite often. Because of the bad weather I had more time to visit people I have known for years and of course every night I was at Leo’s Tavern. Only on the 2nd and 3rd June the weather was fine – one of these days I was at Grianán of Aileach and in Derry and the next day I had to stay in bed because of an attack of migraine. It was aching but it was more painful to know that there is beautiful waether but not to be able to go for a walk :cry:.

Some days I didn’t take photos but here are the pics I have taken between 24th May and 3rd June https://picasaweb.google.com/Susann177/ ... 011_part2#
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. (Oscar Wilde)
Susann
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Dubhy63 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:06 pm

You've certainly picked the right moments to take the photos Susann,the clouds and crashing waves make some of them even more dramatic.It's a pitty that you couldn't go out on one of the nice days,it's great to be out and about when the weather in Donegal is on your side. :D
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby Susann » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:37 pm

Many thanks, Dubhy :D. Here comes the last part of my Ireland report.

A little report about my holiday in Ireland from 15th May until 17th June - Part 3

At midday of 4th June I was walking at Carrickfinn beach when the weather improved. So I walked around this small peninsula. Last year I walked also around but I didn’t realize the cross on a grass covered rock. An old man told me that children and sailors were buried there in the past. It’s called „Oilean na Marbh“ (Isle of the dead). At night I was to the Irish Music, Song and Dance Show „Ragús“ in Dungloe.
On Sunday (Bank Holiday Weekend) it was raining the whole day.
Monday I drove to Fanad Head. On the way I stopped at Rathmullan Priory.
Tuesday was the last day of my time in Gweedore. In the morning I spent some hours at the beach and the dunes in Bunbeg and in the afternoon I was at Glebe House and Gallery at Lough Gartan. At night I was at Leao’s like every night in the last 15 days. Unfortunately I couldn’t stay for the weekend to be at Moya’s and Cormac’s concert.
The next two days I stayed in a B&B on Inishowen. But on Wednesday I drove to Giant’s Causeway to meet a colleague and his wife who were on a organised bus tour in Ireland.
On 9th June I spent the whole day on Inishowen. I was at Malin Head, Glenevin Waterfall Park, Greencastle and Inishowen Lighthouse.
The next three days I was with friends in Bangor (near Belfast). On Friday morning I took the ferry from Greencastle to Northern Ireland. I wanted to be in Bangor in the evening so I had time to stop several times. First I was at Benone Beach and then almost four hours at Downhill Demesne and Mussenden Temple.
On 13th June I went to Dublin. Here I spent the last days of my holidays. There I had for instance a “Flight” with the Dublin Wheel, was at Malahide Castle and enjoyed a free opera concert at St. Stephen’s Green. And the best was that I found out that Moya and Cormac would have a concert at Whelan’s while I was in Dublin. I was there together with Joanna. It was a wonderful night.
On 17th June I had to go back to Germany. But just for a few hours because on 18th June at 7 am I took the plane to London. The pictures from the London Feis will follow later.

Here are the photos from my last two weeks in Ireland https://picasaweb.google.com/Susann177/ ... 011_part3#
Susann
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Dubhy63 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:23 am

Susann,I didn't know that you were in Dublin,I would have invited you to my big white house in the Phoenix Park and given you a tour around my yacht in Dublin Port :mrgreen:

On a serious note,you've produced some great pics,even when the weather didn't give you a hand.I love the photo of the Dublin Wheel taken through the gap in the Samuel Beckett Bridge,it's a great idea.I couldn't go to Donegal for the weekend when the workshops were on and only found out about the gig in Whelan's on the night when it was too late to go,no need to say that I wasn't too happy.

Anyway,I'm looking forward to the photos of London Feis, a lot of Irish performers took part in this festival,a few very familiar to us of course. :D
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby Susann » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:07 am

Dubhy63 wrote:Susann,I didn't know that you were in Dublin,I would have invited you to my big white house in the Phoenix Park and given you a tour around my yacht in Dublin Port :mrgreen:

Next time when I'm in Dublin I let you know. I would like to be back in the big white house. 2006 I was walking over the green carpet and I would like to do it again. Maybe you would accept to take photos there!? :lol: :lol: :lol:

At the London Feis it was allowed to take photos and I did a lot especially on Sunday - https://picasaweb.google.com/Susann177/LondonFeis2011#

On Saturday (18th June) the weather was very bad. Many people were wearing wellingtons. So it was almost impossible to sit on the meadow and to relax. Later it was really muddy.
On the festival area were three stages – the big main stage, stage 2 in a tent and the small stage 3. On Saturday I was most of the time in the tent. When De Dannan and Sharon Shannon were playing I was lucky to be in the front row. But later it was impossible to come close to the stages. Unfortunately there were no big screens so it was difficult to see the bands on stage. Twice I left the area and relaxed in a café because I was exhausted. The days before I slept only a few hours. And this wet and cold weather worn me out. Bob Dylan was the last concert and thousands of people came later that evening just to see him. So it was extremely crowded. I’m not a fan of Bob Dylan and he didn’t impress me much so I left the festival before the crowd left.
On Sunday the weather had improved and I couldn’t believe it but the area was dry. When it started I was there – in the front row of the main stage because Clannad should play there. I stayed there until 10:15 pm. So I had the best place for all bands who played here. I wanted to go to see Eddi Reader on stage 2 but I didn’t dare to leave my perfect position.
The bands I liked most were De Dannan, Sharon Shannon, Foy Vance, Hothouse Flowers, Jimmy Cliff, Clannad and Van Morrison.
My flight back to Germany was Monday night so I had time to stroll through London. On Tuesday I was back in the office after five weeks and one day.
Susann
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Dubhy63 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:53 pm

You're welcome to take photos Susann and I'll arrange the carpet of course.You got great pics at the London Feis,a lot of familiar faces for anyone who's interested in Irish music.It must have been strange to walk back in the office after 5 weeks,I always had the feeling after a 3 week holiday. :D
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby Susann » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:07 am

I forgot to tell about a nice story that happened to me in Dublin. On 14th June I was strolling in Phoenix Park. In the afternoon I was hungry and I sat down on the meadow to eat fantastic Irish goat cheese and olives I bought at Sheridans. It was extremely delicious but the olives had stones. This was not good for my teeth. I got a whole in a filling :shock: :( :shock: . What to do now? I must say that I have heard horror stories about Irish dentists. But otherwise I don’t believe everything but I felt unsure. I got an recommendation from a friend. She is a GP and this dentist is close to her surgery but she didn’t know him. So I went there but it was 10 minutes before the surgery closed. The nurse wanted to make an appointment for Wednesday afternoon but I said that I would look for another dentist. Then she said that I should wait. The dentist checked the tooth and said that he would fill the whole now. He was very kind and we had a lot of fun (as long as I could talk :wink: ). All in all it took 20 minutes. I was prepared to pay a lot but the nurse said that I didn’t have to pay. I couldn’t believe it!!!. She smiled and said that it is just a temporary filling. On Wednesday when I was at Whelan’s I bought a bottle of red wine in the off-licence shop there and took it on Thursday to the dentist to say thank you. My friend and everyone I told this story couldn’t believe it. Now I have another nice story about Ireland. And the temporary filling is still in my tooth.
Susann
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Dubhy63 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:22 pm

You were lucky to get the filling sorted on such a short notice,but it proves that the Irish hospitality still exists ! :D
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Return to Fan space