Saving Tara

Ancient meeting place of the High Kings

Moderators: wonky_eggs, nessieq, gregoing, Grania, All Moderators

Do you want a motorway built over Tara! - Ar mhaith leatsa Motárbhealach bheith tógtha ar Teamhair?

Yes!
2%
No!
98%
Not Sure??
No votes

Total votes : 61

Postby pietree » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:33 am

It's very sad, that they want to destroy such a beautiful place. A very similar problem is in Poland with Rospuda Park and a new highway that would go through it. :cry: So many people don't realise what they are loosing...
I' ve never been to Ireland (and I want to visit it very much) but I just adore such places like Tara. Maybe the old roads should be wider so it wouldn't be necessary to build a new motorway.
"Forgotten is the race that no one knows"
pietree
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Dubhy63 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:09 am

It's sad that work on the motorway has been started,but there's still hope.There has been some criticism on European level,this can possibly be used when the case comes to court.The Hill of Tara and surrounding area should be left alone,it's a sacred place,disturbing it will only end in trouble.
* No man ever wore a scarf as warm as his daughter’s arm around his neck.*
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby A_S » Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:26 am

Did any of you see the Tara Harpers myspace? It's a petition that Irish harpists have signed to protest the building of the motorway. There are a few familiar names there! http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=239012664 :wink:
A_S
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Killiney » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:07 pm

Níor mhait an motárbhealach ar Teamhair XD

(I hope that's how you say 'I don't want the motorway over Tara' in Gaelige, I've never been good with that language XD)
Behind the innocent,
the last, the least and the lost
will be found in the storm

Northern Skyline - a fansite for Clannad/Moya/Enya get the latest news as soon as we get it
Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Dubhy63 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:28 am

I can't remember where I read the information about the fairies at the Hill of Tara,but the good man said that no good would come the people who were involved in the decision to give the go ahead for the motorway and disturbed the fairies.Dick Roche signed the paperwork at the last day in office as minister for the environment,just follow the link and read what happened to him,is it a coincedence or .... ?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1215/wicklow.html
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby Killiney » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:55 am

Hmmm. I wonder...

A wee bit off topic here, but slightly relative :lol: -
On Billy Connoly's World Tour of England Ireland and Wales, he went around the country and one of the places he talked about had this great big 'fairy thorn' in the middle of the field, and while standing next to it, he described an incident at a quary where they removed a fairy thorn, and then the dynamites went wrong killing several people. One of the things he said was something along the lines of - harm a fairy thorn and something terrible'll happen to you and that's got me thinking - if there's fairy thorns at Tara, and they got removed, what's gonna happen to the person/people that did it, is the legend of the fairies true?
Behind the innocent,
the last, the least and the lost
will be found in the storm

Northern Skyline - a fansite for Clannad/Moya/Enya get the latest news as soon as we get it
Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Luned » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:34 pm

Ominous 8) I think it's not only about removing a fairy thorn, but invading upon any territory or some barrow traditionally belonging to some fairy folk might turn out harmful, and, if I remember correctly, Tara is also the mythical centre of Eire. So, beware of the Tuatha de Danann, those who dare disturb their peace! ;)

http://www.triskelle.eu/history/tuathad ... 15.010.060
Luned
Addicted to Moya

Postby Balor » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:03 pm

Apparently there is no stopping the M3. The road itself isn't the problem so much as the development which follows. Who wants to see a McDonald's within an ass's gallop of Tara? If Ireland has to have a motorway in that area, then there should at least be a ban on any subsequent construction.
Who in the valley shed the poison tear?
Balor
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Grania » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:14 pm

Random piece of trivia that's a bit odd. Where I am at uni, not far away there is a hill that was the site of an Iron Age hill fort, with earthworks etc not entirely dissimilar to Tara, called St Catharine's Hill:

http://www.megalithic.co.uk/a558/a312/g ... hill40.jpg

Strangely enough it also had a motorway built within hearing and seeing distance of it, going through a lot of archaeology, like Tara....and that motorway was the M3

:|
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Balor » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:37 am

On Midsummer's Day this year, as chance would have it, I was up on the Hill of Tara. I thought I'd be impressed. Certainly the lia fail wasn't as big as I imagined. The top of Tor Mor is more interesting in my opinion.
Who in the valley shed the poison tear?
Balor
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Grania » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:08 am

I think it's more the feeling of Tara that is impressive, rather than the visual aspect. Aerial views (in photographs etc) are impressive, but from the ground I think Tara is a place to sense as much as see. Of course, this isn't easy (from my point of view at least) if you go in the middle of the day with hundreds of tourists - I haven't managed dawn yet :lol: but I have managed sunset, when I was the only person up there by the Lia Fáil, and it was a truly incredible experience.

:) Still, I'm very jealous of you being up there on midsummers' day...I was just a few days ahead of you, staying near Newgrange, but because of a mess-up with the ferries we had to leave at 6am to catch the ship and I didn't get any time to go to Tara or Newgrange again :(

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Dubhy63 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:58 am

Tara is a place to sense,the visual aspect doesn't play such a big role but is still part of the whole picture of course.Believe it or not ,I have never managed to go there at dawn,it's usually late in the afternoon,even in the winter.First of all to avoid the big crowds who can kind of 'spoil' one's experience of Tara,it's easier to take in when it's quiet.There's also an advantage from the photographers point of view,the light can be 'magical' when it comes near sunset.The photo below has been taken in December,it was absolutely freezing,but worth every minute I spent in the cold. :D

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa34/Dubhy63/DSCF2685E.jpg
Last edited by Dubhy63 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:37 am

Wow, Dubhy that is really fantastic! Very very Tara :D

This is one of mine, summer sunset (you're lucky, I would love to see it in winter!)

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/ ... CF2248.jpg

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Dubhy63 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:58 am

Great photo G ,Gaoth Dobhair is fantastic and even better at sunset. :D

Regarding Tara in the winter,December of last year was a great time with the amount of snow we got here,but getting there would have been a huge challenge.I only went as far as the Phoenix Park,but seeing the Hill of Tara covered with inches of snow would have been even better. :)
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:06 pm

:lol: Oh yes, forgot about that! The photo IS of Tara, I promise :lol: The album was set up for Gweedore Gathering photos, but ended up with lots of others in as well :roll: :lol:

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Previous

Return to The Hill of Tara