Introduction

Your platform. Get to know each other (but don't forget about us!)

Moderator: All Moderators

Introduction

Postby SaskiaS » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:41 am

Hi, I am new on this forum, apart from already some messages I sent earlier this week, and would like to introduce myself.

I am Saskia from Doetinchem, the Netherlands. I am 34 (nearly 35) years old. I live together with my first love (which he is for over 17 years now). No children unfortunately, and in somewhat bad health, but happy still. I work parttime at an office, accounts department.

I have been a Clannad fan from age 17 or so. Although my first introduction to them was at age 12 with Theme from Harry's game during a relaxation exersice, well that worked as a charm! I still play Clannad in general but that song in particular when I am nervous about something, or when I am just feeling stressed out. Because of that, at age 17 my boyfriend gave me their cd Sirius. And that got me hooked, even though now I think that is one of their lesser cd's.
After collecting all of Clannad's original albums, no compilations, I bought one cd from Máire, and that was it. I hardly listened to it. :oops:

Untill a week ago she got me hooked ...again :D. I went to her concert in Doetinchem and it was absolutely wonderful. I really enjoyed myself, bought some more cd's from her and from Cormac.

I am not a hard-core fan going to all her concerts and stuff, but I do absolutely love her music and her voice. And that's what it is all about, isn't it?

From sunny Netherlands, I whish you all a wonderful day !

Saskia
SaskiaS

Postby SaskiaS » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:46 am

p.s.: at her concert in Doetinchem, there were...well how do I put this...uhm let's say we were 2 of the happy few under age 35.
I know it's not pop, but how come so very few young people know/like her/their music??
SaskiaS

Postby Phantas » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:14 am

SaskiaS wrote:p.s.: at her concert in Doetinchem, there were...well how do I put this...uhm let's say we were 2 of the happy few under age 35.
I know it's not pop, but how come so very few young people know/like her/their music??

hehehe...Maybe it's just a regional thing? I know that at her concerts in Rotterdam over the years there has been a very mixed bag of attenders (I'm turning 32 this year so I'm one of the younger ones!).

And ofcourse, one has to be open to such music and let it in. Like you I was a Clannad fan for many years, and an Enya fan as well. When I learned that Moya was making solo albums, naturally I had to give her a chance!

But it's not music that's broadcasted on the radio a lot, nor given a lot of attention. Primarily people find out either through Enya or (though somewhat in a lesser way) Clannad, or through other new age like channels....but for the rest I think it's primarily word of mouth and having friends that let you listen to it, or gifts....you get the idea ;)

Trust me, on here there are a lot of young people that like her (and Clannad's) music! :)

Love,
Phantas
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby SaskiaS » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:28 am

Well that's good to hear !
SaskiaS

Postby mise » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:46 am

But I know exactly what you mean Saskia, young people always stand out in the crowd that visits her. I believe that a lot of people who go and see Moya don't know her music but do like going to the theatre. My experience is that theathre crowds are usually a bit older.

I think many people here on the forum can confirm though that they are young (at heart if nothing else :wink: )
Cherish all your happy moments: They make a fine cushion for old age
mise

Postby Dubhy63 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:30 pm

Personally I believe that it's around 50/50 when it comes to people who visit Moya's and Clannad's concerts.50% knows the music and comes from almost every age group,the other 50% are usually a bit older and like going to the theatre as mise has said.I have based this on the most recent concerts in Dublin and Dún Laoghaire and what I remember of all the previous gigs.
As has been said in another thread,Moya's music is for everyone,but I also believe that the musical taste of the parents can have some influence on their children.The latter still have their own favourites of course,but when they hear Moya's or similar music on a regular basis,they could show some interest or even more. :D
* No man ever wore a scarf as warm as his daughter’s arm around his neck.*
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby mise » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:38 pm

Perhaps it's the Dutch Saskia, which means we'll have to do lots of promoting Moya to the younger audience :lol:
Cherish all your happy moments: They make a fine cushion for old age
mise

Postby SaskiaS » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:09 am

ah Mise, well than I made a double mistake... :mrgreen:

I was e-mailing with Yvonne of this forum and accidently sent it to my aunt Yvonne, not exactly the age we are looking for... :wink:
SaskiaS

Postby wonky_eggs » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:29 pm

Welcome to the forum Saskia!

As a Clannad/Moya fan since I was 14, and now slipping over the edge of my 20s and into my 30s, I like to think we're all young at heart. Meeting up with some forumers in Dublin in January, it felt like I was 17 all over again - ah, drunken forum gatherings... I do love them... *sigh*
wonky_eggs

Postby Hester » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:43 pm

I welcomed you in your other topic,
but nice to read a bit more about you!
I am 30 myself...I've been a fan since my 18th.

Enjoy wandering around here on the forum!
Love takes off the mask we fear we cannot live without an know we cannot live within - James Baldwin
Hester
Addicted to Moya

Postby Dubhy63 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:30 pm

We only had a few pints on that night in January :mrgreen:
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby Armand » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:58 am

Hello my name is Armand.

I am 42 years old and a Clannad/Moya/Maire fan since 1985. Since In a Lifetime. At that time I was a big fan of U2 and became involved in the Clannad world.

I am married (have no children ''yet'') and living in a small village in the south of The Netherlands.

This year I visited my 5th Moya concert ever.

Cheers,
Live you own life !
The only one responsable for it is you !
Armand

Postby Dab051176 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:51 am

Dubhy63 wrote:We only had a few pints on that night in January :mrgreen:

......and as Moya & co. had been so generous in having the concert in a venue opposite not one, but two pubs (at least - I was starting to lose count!), it would have been extremely rude not to make the most of it..... :wink::P::lol::lol:

Welcome (again) to the forum, Armand - enjoy your time with us. It sounds as though you're a frequent visitor to Moya's concerts - hope it's not too long before you get to your next one! :)
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:42 pm

And again, welcome to the forum Saskia! Always great to meet new faces, so to speak.

As for not going to all the concerts, well ... join the club! I've only been to a small handful, and the last of those was in Stuttgart, Germany, about 3 years ago now :shock: about time for another one, methinks :lol:
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Dubhy63 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:54 pm

Dab051176 wrote:......and as Moya & co. had been so generous in having the concert in a venue opposite not one, but two pubs (at least - I was starting to lose count!), it would have been extremely rude not to make the most of it..... :wink::P::lol::lol::

We are well-mannered,therefore we took what was offered to us and even made sure that we were in the pubs on the Sunday :mrgreen:

Welcome to the forum Armand,enjoy your time here and don't hesitate to ask questions ! :D
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Next

Return to Fan space