Moya music, do you have to be a christan

Discuss anything about Moya and her music

Moderator: All Moderators

Moya music, do you have to be a christan

Postby RunrigCorvusCoraxFan » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:52 pm

I love Clannad and Moya's voice but this has been bugging me ages. As I love Enya, got Shepherds Moon and love the music, but as some songs are christan, do you think Moya will mind getting her albums but not being a christan; feels I let her down so do hou have to be a christian to appreciate her music? :? :?
RunrigCorvusCoraxFan
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Phantas » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:39 pm

no, not at all. I'm no Christian (by far) but I love her music. (and Enya's and Clannad's too).

At one point, around the time of Perfect Time I didn't like Moya because she was very open about finding her faith again...but I was younger then and I've moved passed that all. Music is music, whatever religion you follow. I actually know someone who doesn't listen to a certain artist because in the lyrics the word Demon is used, and this is because his faith doesn't allow it. Silly, isn't it?

I like and want to appreciate music for what it is, not because some silly religion dictates it :P (Yes, this is an atheistic comment)

Moya's music allows me to relax, and in fact her strenght and refound faith actually allows me to do so at times. Especially when I'm feeling down I'll play some of Moya's songs and I'll see the light at the end of the tunnel again ;)
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby RunrigCorvusCoraxFan » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:41 pm

Ahh thanks ;)
RunrigCorvusCoraxFan
Enthusiastic Member

Postby wonky_eggs » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:17 am

I'm not religious at all, but some of Moya's Christian songs are among my favourites by her. So, as Phantas says, you don't have to be Christian to appreciate Moya's music. Just sit back, and enjoy! :D
wonky_eggs

Postby Hester » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:37 pm

Interesting question!

Just wanted to reply cause I am a christian but I agree with what the boys before me have written. You don't have to be a christian to appreciate and love Moya's music.
I grew up listening to christian music and as I grew older I came to dislike the category "christian music". And with 'christian music' I refer to the artists for whom the preaching seems to be more important than the quality of their music. I think of Moya as a christian who makes music...which to me is a very essential difference. I prefer christians who use their talents to make good quality music to the so-called christian artists who constantly feel the need to preach. Moya doesn't preach, she lives out her christianity by just being the genuine person that she is. And I know from an interview that I did with her years ago that she is thrilled to have all sorts of people coming to her concerts and listening to her music...She would be the last person who wants her audience to consist of christians only! :D Enjoy!!
Love takes off the mask we fear we cannot live without an know we cannot live within - James Baldwin
Hester
Addicted to Moya

Postby RunrigCorvusCoraxFan » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:36 am

True :)

After hearing your thoughts I am no longer worried :) I like all sort of music, Clannad, Enya, Capercaillie, Paul Mounsey, Corvus Corax, Anna Murray, Bi Beo, Runrig, Dario G, Chicane, Donnie Munro etc etc and love all sorts of music :)

There is still music god or no god. :) :)
RunrigCorvusCoraxFan
Enthusiastic Member

Postby SaskiaS » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:58 am

Of course you don't have to be christian. When you like the music, the lyrics appeals to you, what does it matter of what religiion (or non-religion) you are ?

I am an atheist myself, and I listen to all kinds of music, whether from a christian singer, an atheist, a muslim. If I like the music, I'll listen to it.

And I am 100% certain that Moya does not mind!
SaskiaS

Postby Methica » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:15 am

I'm not Christian and I love Moya's music. You know, for me it's quite simple actually. For instance, Moya's music, as said by Phantas is about how she found her faith again, but for the listener it's pretty much open to interpretation I guess. I mean, yes I know the songs are a bit religious, and I understand that, but some songs have gotten another symbolical meaning to me (:
Imperfect is the new perfect
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby Dubhy63 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:54 pm

I am Roman Catholic,but my taste is not limited to the music associated with the faith.There's a wide variety in my collection,almost everything from ABBA to ZZ Top.One can find me listening to Moya one moment and see me enjoying Metallica an hour later.My opinion is that anyone can like any kind of music,there doesn't have to be connection with your faith or what you are. :D
* No man ever wore a scarf as warm as his daughter’s arm around his neck.*
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:33 pm

Another Christian here, but I enjoy Moya's music for what it is. Her vocals are lovely, and the music is enjoyable in its own right.

The fact that a lot of her music (not all) has a Christian ethos does enhance it for me, though.

However, that of Moya's music which could be labelled Christian is not worship music: I doubt we'll be singing her stuff in churches or at Spring Harvest! It's more personal than that: her own story, her own experiences.

And yes, I also love Clannad, Enya, Capercaillie, and some others.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby hermeyjdi » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:18 pm

I'm a Christian who also listens to Moya. In fact, Moya and Clannad are my favorites. At first I had a hard time listening to Clannad since they weren't a "Christian" band but that was my own hang ups. I am so glad that I pushed through that cause there is some awesome music that I would have missed had I not. I was also scared that their music, including Enya's, was New Age but according to Moya none of them are part of the New Age movement. I am so glad that I didn't allow my fears to keep me from this awesome music.
Jesus said to Peter, "feed my sheep not experiment on my rats" -C S Lewis
hermeyjdi
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:35 am

Truth be told, I also avoided Enya for quite some time because of allegations of her and her music being "New Age".

There are some tracks that leave me a little uneasy - such as the one dedicated to a "spirit child" (sorry, forget the name of the track offhand) and this is very much a New Age concept.

As far as "New Age" goes, there is New Age and there is New Age. What I mean is that there is music which is designed for New Age meditation, and this might include groups such as Tangerine Dream (are they still going?). A friend at college one lent me one of their albums, Tangram, and it was just plain weird for the most part.

But other music, such as Enya, Mike Oldfield, some Moya and Enya tend to get categorised New Age because it's musically similar (although not necessarily spiritually so), and falls into a category that ther music indistry has labelled "New Age." Hope that makes some kind of sense!
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Phantas » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:26 pm

Song you refer to, Angus, is Isobella - and it's one of my ultimate favs.

New Age is such a wide label...even some spiritual Christian music can be found under that sometimes...angels and that sort of thing.

One should always try music - regardless of your background - for one might find music that may not be Christian but makes you feel spiritually better?

To take Isobella as an example, I don't really think of the meaning behind it.....I sense a great love in the song, and a love that transcends wordly matters, including religion (for I still believe that is a man-made thing).

One song that some may think of as non-christian by Enya is Water Shows the Hidden Heart from the Amarantine album. But for me, it is the most spiritual transcending song she has ever recorded. Whenever I listen to it I feel utter bliss. And that can never be a bad thing IMHO.

But I must say this - neither Moya, nor Enya nor the familyband Clannad has ever made it a point of only making music for a certain type of person/religion or people. Their music is universal, to be taken to heart and to let it nourish a flourishing garden :) For that is where we will find our own Edens :)

*hands out barfbags*
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby A_S » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:54 pm

Thought I'd chime in, too, as this issue also bothered me when I first started listening to Moya. I'm an atheist and I just don't like Christian music most of the time. I put off buying Moya's Christian albums for a while because of that. But really there is nothing in them that is automatically off-putting for a non-Christian. As Angus said, her Christian music is very personal. It's very easy to view it as a woman singing about her life and her faith (because that is what it is). She's not preaching, she's just expressing her own feelings. Reading her book elucidates a lot of this if you are interested. So, while I don't listen to her Christian songs as often as some of her other music, just because of my personal preferences, I enjoy those albums as well.
A_S
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Dubhy63 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:37 pm

Phantas wrote: But I must say this - neither Moya, nor Enya nor the familyband Clannad has ever made it a point of only making music for a certain type of person/religion or people. Their music is universal, to be taken to heart and to let it nourish a flourishing garden :) For that is where we will find our own Edens :)

I couldn't say it any better :)
* No man ever wore a scarf as warm as his daughter’s arm around his neck.*
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Next

Return to General