Clannad at Temple Bar TradFest 2011

News, Nostalgia, etc.

Moderators: wonky_eggs, mise, Grania, Banba Óir, All Moderators

Postby Susann » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:15 pm

Dave, thanks for your hugs :). Have you ever flown with a cold? I can tell you that's not nice. I couldn't hear anything and it was painful. Stop moaning! I'm not a sissy! :oops:

Dab051176 wrote:It goes without saying that I wouldn't mind seeing it again....and again....etc! :wink:

Yes, I would like seeing it again as well. And I would very much like to buy the documentary about CLANNAD which was shown in the Irish Film Institute.
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. (Oscar Wilde)
Susann
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Dubhy63 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:36 pm

(((((((Susann))))))),I hope that you'll get better soon,I know from experience that flying when you're not feeling well isn't the funniest thing to do. :)

Dave,I haven't heard or seen anything regarding the recordings,but there will be some decisions about plans in the near future as we could hear during the Q&A session on Saturday,a DVD might be a possibility. :D

Last but not least a treat for everyone :

Two Sisters : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wmoZ9XUNfg

I will Find You: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SP-C5965lw
* No man ever wore a scarf as warm as his daughter’s arm around his neck.*
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby Dab051176 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:41 pm

Susann wrote:Yes, I would like seeing it again as well. And I would very much like to buy the documentary about CLANNAD which was shown in the Irish Film Institute.

I've never flown with a cold, Susann, but I can imagine that's it's not very pleasant - get well soon! Oh, and I've had a good look around the Internet, and I can't find "Clann as Dobhar" on DVD or VHS anywhere. I have looked before, and didn't think I'd seen it - but when she made that reply on Saturday (to the effect of "it must be available somewhere"), I was rather hoping Moya knew something that I didn't! :wink:

It does pop up on TG4 occasionally, so your best bet is probably to check their website, tg4.tv fairly regularly.

Thanks for the reply, Dubhy. You're right, plenty to look forward to by the sound of things - Dave left Dublin one very happy Clannad fan! :mrgreen:
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Lady Ryu » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:06 pm

You got some nice pics there dubhy. i put the ones i like best on fb. but if i'll remember my password at photobucket i'll post them there as well.

i'm hoping of some dvd of the concert. like dave i didn't find anything yet. anybody has more info?

@susann
get well soon. was awfully cold in dublin.

i was to lazy to sort out the bad pics. sorry, feel free to forget them.
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c168/Lady_Ryu81/Clannad/
Matteo - always in my heart

Never ever I wished so much that heaven truly exists, and that you are waiting there for me.
Lady Ryu
Addicted to Moya

Postby Dubhy63 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:35 pm

I haven't seen any bad pics Lady Ryu,it's actually great to see some of te other side of te stage. :)
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby Lady Ryu » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:44 pm

Dubhy63 wrote:I haven't seen any bad pics Lady Ryu,it's actually great to see some of te other side of te stage. :)

Thx, i was thinking the same about yours. The other side - cool! I have a lot of blurred pics. Especially pòl seems unable to stand still while playing. fortunately for me, you have some good pics of him. mine are all crap, in my opinion.
Matteo - always in my heart

Never ever I wished so much that heaven truly exists, and that you are waiting there for me.
Lady Ryu
Addicted to Moya

Postby Dubhy63 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:04 pm

Lady Ryu wrote: Especially pòl seems unable to stand still while playing.

When you look at my pics you'll see quite a few that are a bit blurry in some parts.It's a combination of low light and quick movement,hard to avoid unless you have a really good camera. :)

I've put another video on You Tube,it's a slide show of all the pics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDK7VP1rP-s
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby Susann » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:29 am

Better late than never! Here is my report about the Temple Bar TradFest 2011.

On Tuesday 25 January I flew to Dublin. I stayed in the Harding Hotel opposite Christ Church Cathedral. This was strategically perfect.
Wednesday night I was to the ALTAN concert in Christ Church Cathedral. It was wonderful. After performing the first songs Eddie Reader – a special friend of ALTAN – came on stage. I didn’t know her but I liked her voice and her powerful appearance. They had a lot fun on stage. When they played the last encore I could remember her. I have known her. More than 20 years ago she sang one of my favourite songs and now they performed it on stage. It was the song “Perfect” and Eddie Reader was the singer from the band “Fairground Attraction”. It was a wonderful night.

Thursday I visited some museums for instance Dublin Castle. I was also in the Powerscourt Shopping Centre. There a woman was playing the piano at lunchtime. I think most of the people didn’t realise it. While I was having pasta she played “Hallelujah” by Leonard Cohen. I got goose bumps. Later I said to her “Thank you for the music especially for “Hallelujah”. She was really happy. I turned to leave the shopping centre and then she played it again. I was turning back and she was smiling at me. Such little things I love very much. :) :) :)
At night, before I went to the Button Factory I was at Christ Church. There a pipe band from Nova Scotia was playing for the people who were waiting for the first of CLANNAD’s three concerts there. But I went to see two young Irish traditional bands that night. At first CIORRAS came on stage. CIORRAS - a band of 8 young, very talented musicians - was formed by Dónal Lunny a year ago. Later Dónal Lunny joined the band on stage. You could see that he was very proud of them.
Then BEOGA came. They are live unbelievable especially Eamon Murray. The way he plays the bodhrán I’ve never seen before. I enjoyed that night very much.

Friday morning I went with a colleague of mine (who came Thursday night to Dublin) and some other Germans to “The Cauldron Recording Studios”. One guy of these people has contacts to some Irish musicians and so he could arrange this visit. It was very interesting to hear about producing a CD.
In the afternoon my colleague and I visited the fantastic Chester Beatty Library.
At night we went to Farrington’s Pub to see Eleanor Shanley and Mike Hanrahan. After the gig Eleanor came to talk to us. She is a very nice person.

Saturday at 1 pm a documentary about CLANNAD was shown in the Irish Film Institute. It was a very personal film. I would love to buy a DVD with this documentary. When the film was over Moya, Pól, Ciarán, Noel and Pádraig came to answer questions. They confirmed that a new CD will be released in 2011.

Later I went to the outdoor stage where Eleanor Shanley and Mike Hanrahan were playing again.

Now was time for the highlight of my week there. Of course I wanted to get a good seat and so I was at the entrance of Christ Church Cathedral at 6 pm. But I was not the first one. There were four other forumers. The doors opened around 7.30 pm but the time wasn’t long in this nice company. Then the concert started. I can’t really express my feelings. I think I was smiling the whole time :D :D :D . Thank you so much!!! Brian Kennedy, ANÚNA, Sinéad Madden, Máire Breatnach, Éamonn De Barra, percussionist Robbie Harris and a cellist (I don’t know her name) joined CLANNAD in some songs. It was an overwhelming night not only for the audience but also for CLANNAD, the other musicians and I suppose also for Baba and Leo who were in the church, too.

On Sunday we had to go back to Germany.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Susann177/ ... dFest2011#
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. (Oscar Wilde)
Susann
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Dubhy63 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:05 am

You have some great pics Susann,it's always good see things from a different angle,even when one has been at the concerts.You're right about the Clannad concert,it really was the highlight of the week,it was overwhelming and will remembered for many,many years to come. :)
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby Dab051176 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:32 am

Great report, Susann - and those pics are fantastic! :D
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Previous

Return to Clannad