Back from Ireland!

Have you been there? Are you going? Share your experience

Moderators: gregoing, mise, Grania, All Moderators

Back from Ireland!

Postby dids » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:42 pm

At last, I did it! I made a trip in Ireland! :D
I went there with my own car, so I travelled by ferry from Roscoff in France, to the port of Cork at Ringaskiddy.
The first day began under the rain, but the sun appeared quickly so my visit of Kinsale and the Old Head of Kinsale was done under sunshine.
After a night near Bandon, I went directly to the Drombeg Stone Circle. It began to rain at midday, as I was leaving the stone circle. I wanted then to go to Mizen Head, but I gave up because of the weather. Two tourists from Paris I met the next day went there and told me that, because of the weather, they did not see anything…
I slept in a B&B in Bantry, where I had a very warm welcome and the next day a huge Irish breakfast. The breakfast itself was very nice, but the table was full of many delicious things…
This is what is nice with the Irish breakfast: you do not need to have a lunch at midday, you can easily wait for the dinner… ;)
The next day, I had to go to a B&B in Waterville. I had the time to drive on a first part of the Ring of Kerry, and I also made a long halt at the Coomakesta pass. Waterville is a pretty nice town, where you can meet Charles Chaplin (I mean, his statue… )
I had then to go to Killarney. I made a halt at Portmagee and the Valencia Island, and the I drove on the Ring of Kerry until Killorglin. Then, I went trough the mountains to Molls Gap. I got suddenly lost and I guess I turned around the Lough Caragh, before finding back the right road…
Because of a lack of time, I did not visit Killarney, the National park and the Gap of Dunloe… Maybe it will be for a next time!
I had the to reach a B&B near Castlegregory, in the Dingle peninsula. The weather was very good. I drove on the Slea Head drive (very beautiful), visited the Gallarus Oratory (where I met a lot of old french people… ;) ) and made a halt in Dingle.
For the second time during my trip, I had a very warm welcome at the B&B: a coffee, a piece of cake and a nice discussion, with other tourists coming from Quebec (they are having a 4 months trip in Europe, they will get back home in December!)
The next day, the weather was bad and it is under wind and rain that I visited the Cliffs of Moher… I got again a very nice welcome at the B&B located near Lisdoonvarna.
The next day, I visited shortly Doolin. From there, I decided to make a walk to the port, but it started to rain and I ended up wet in a few minutes. So I decided to get there by car, and just after arrival, the rain stopped… Rain seems to be as brief as sudden there… :lol:
I went then to Limerick, and Adare, where I slept.
The next day, I headed directly to Cork to take the ferry back home.

I know that I missed a lot of things, because it was a road trip and I had to get from there to there before the end of afternoon. But I know where to go now, the places to visit and the B&Bs to stay for the next time… :roll: 8)
The real goal should be to permanently progress, to be better than yourself rather than being better than others (Albert Jacquard).
dids
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Susann » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:01 am

Hello dids, thanks for your nice report. It sounds you had a good time on the Emerald Isle. :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you have the possibility to go on holidays in May and June you should plan your next trip to Ireland for these month. Especially if you have only a week then it's a big advantage to have long days. In May and June sunset is between 10 and 11 pm.
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. (Oscar Wilde)
Susann
Enthusiastic Member

Postby dids » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:40 pm

OK, I will try for the next time. Thanks :wink:
The real goal should be to permanently progress, to be better than yourself rather than being better than others (Albert Jacquard).
dids

Postby Dubhy63 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:46 pm

Great report dids ,you've still seen quite a bit in a short time.

The long days can be great,you can stay out late and go for a few pints in Leo's ( when you're in Gweedore of course ) :D
* No man ever wore a scarf as warm as his daughter’s arm around his neck.*
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby dids » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:21 am

Dubhy63 wrote:Great report dids ,you've still seen quite a bit in a short time.

Thanks... I also missed a lot of things (Killarney National Park, Gap of Dunloe...)

Dubhy63 wrote:The long days can be great,you can stay out late and go for a few pints in Leo's ( when you're in Gweedore of course ) :D

eh eh... Of course ;) 8)

I am sharing a few samples of the pics I made there:
http://picasaweb.google.com/dsignat/Ire ... directlink
dids

Postby Dubhy63 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:40 pm

You have some fantastic pics in your collection dids,the panoramas in particular. :)
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby dids » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:41 am

Dubhy63 wrote:You have some fantastic pics in your collection dids,the panoramas in particular. :)

thanks, I will probably add some pictures in the collection... ;)

While taking these pictures I thought that only one for a landscape would not be wide enough to reproduce it well, so I tried a wider view... ;)

The most difficult task was to keep straight when shooting, but I ended up with some pics with a leaning view... But the software I used saved me ;) 8)
dids

what does it mean?

Postby dids » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:15 am

hello everyone,

can anyone help with this picture:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/_8 ... directlink

what does it mean :?: :?: :?:
dids

Postby Dubhy63 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:36 am

Failte go Gaeltacht Uibh Rathaigh = Welcome to the Iveragh Gaeltacht :)
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby dids » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:04 pm

big thanks! :D

Merry christmas :wink:
dids

Return to Leos Tavern