Pól's solo work

News, Nostalgia, etc.

Moderators: wonky_eggs, mise, Grania, Banba Óir, All Moderators

Pól's solo work

Postby wonky_eggs » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:28 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been having a rummage through what I own of Pól's solo work and was wondering what people's thoughts are of his post-Clannad writing and production.

In addition to working on a number of soundtrack projects Pól spent a number of years working on projects for Peter Gabriel's Real World record label including Trísan and the Guo Brothers, on Eimear Quinn's "Through the Lens of a Tear", and most recently with his current partner on a so-far unreleased album.

I've been flicking between the Trísan and Guo Brothers's albums this week and I must say that I do love both of these records, the combinations of music and and especially the whistles really are just beautiful pieces of music.

I do hope that Pól's most recent work does get a release as it's been a good few years coming (the album with his partner - wife? - was mentioned back at the re-union concert in Letterkenny in 2005).
Last edited by wonky_eggs on Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wonky_eggs

Postby cantilena91 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:33 am

I have Trísan too and love it to bits, it reminds me of the style on Clannad's Atlantic Realm a bit but for me it is much more ear-pleasant somehow. Too bad I have been neglecting the album from listening for some time, it looks obvious that I have too many CDs already! :lol:

Suvi
"Your golden breath took darkness away, if I ask, You won't let me go..."
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:38 am

I've been dying to investigate Pól's solo work...any tips on how to get hold of it? :)
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby wonky_eggs » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:58 pm

Grania wrote:I've been dying to investigate Pól's solo work...any tips on how to get hold of it? :)

Here you go:

Trísan (Pól, Joji Hirota & Guo Yue) "Trísan" : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Trisan/dp/B000025JUN/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1264261769&sr=8-2

Guo Brothers & Shung Tian "Yuan" (Pól credited as producer, keyboards & percussion): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yuan-Guo-Brothers-Shung-Tian/dp/B000000HO7/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1264261943&sr=1-2

A Week in the Realworld (live compilation featuring Trísan and Pól on a number of tracks): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Week-Real-World-Vol-1/dp/B00000AQQA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1264262000&sr=1-2

Eimear Quinn "Through the Lens of a Tear" (Pól as producer and co-writer): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Through-Lens-Tear-Eimear-Quinn/dp/B00005Y30P/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1264262064&sr=1-1

They're the ones I know are available. However I know he has recorded music for some film soundtracks, but I can't remember which ones though.

Both the Trísan and Guo Brothers albums are well worth getting. Eimear's album is very nice, with a very haunting track written by Pól called "White Sail", which appears twice on the album - the acoustic version is just stunning.
wonky_eggs

Re: Pól's solo work

Postby nessieq » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:01 pm

wonky_eggs wrote:
I do hope that Pól's most recent work does get a release as it's been a good few years coming (the album with his partner - wife? - was mentioned back at the re-union concert in Letterkenny in 2005).

Yeah I remember that - it certainly has been a long time coming. Wasn't her name Tara something? I wonder if it ever got off the ground: have to say I wasn't hugely impressed with her performance in Letterkenny but I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong! and very interested to hear what he's been up to.
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Re: Pól's solo work

Postby wonky_eggs » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:13 pm

To be perfectly honest I can't remember weather or not I enjoyed it - I think I was more overjoyed to see Pól back with the gang - and looking rather snazzy I must say! :lol: And yes, I think her name is Tara.

A quick Google search through up the names of the films he's scored:

"When the Sky Falls" (2000) - I did have the opening theme to this somewhere, but I've not heard anything more of it.
    "Puckoon" (2002)
    "Mee-Shee: The Water Giant" (2005)
    "Kings" (2007)
    "Dust" (2009)

Has anyone seen any of these?

Edit: Wiki gives us this for "Mee-Shee": "The end credits of the film feature the song "Do You Find" performed by Dreambard and sung by Tara Ni Bihrion. "Sunday Morning Blues" with lyrics by Barry Authors and music by Roger Spoooer features in the film itself with composed music by Pol Brennan." - Dreambard being the name of Pól's band that he toured Ireland with a few years ago. And indeed Tara Ní Bihrion being the name of his partner/wife.
wonky_eggs

Postby Dab051176 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:40 pm

I've just found this thread, because I've actually got a ticket to see Pól with Guo Yue and others in concert next month.

I've only briefly heard his post-Clannad stuff, so I'm intrigued as to what he'll come up with. I've only heard bits and pieces from Trísan, so it's should be fun! :mrgreen:

Review to follow - of course! :wink: :lol:
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby wonky_eggs » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:56 am

Dab051176 wrote:Review to follow - of course! :wink: :lol:

I can't wait! I hope it's a great concert!
wonky_eggs

Postby Piotr Cú Chulainn » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:27 am

Pól is giving a concert with some guys NeXT Friday in Dun Laoghaire,co.Dublin as a part of festval of cultures, concert is at 8p.m. Adult Tickets are 26euro.I came back ireland and I just found about it by chance while passing The pavilon in Dun Laoghaire where the concert wil take place.More info I'll try to write tomorrow.today I missed Tori Amos concert here in a garden in Dublin.Greetings to all Moya and Clannad fans
"Follow your dreams"
Piotr Cú Chulainn
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Dab051176 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:21 am

Piotr Cú Chulainn wrote:Pól is giving a concert with some guys NeXT Friday in Dun Laoghaire,co.Dublin as a part of festval of cultures, concert is at 8p.m.

The concert is actually next Sunday, Piotr! Don't want you being there two days too early, and wondering what's going on... :wink: :P :mrgreen:

I've got a ticket, so if you're going, I'll see you there! :D
Dave

Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Piotr Cú Chulainn » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:42 am

Yeah Dave.Your're right.It's on Sunday:) I still don't have a job but if I won't be working I'll come to the concert of course and it would be nice to see you again.
"Follow your dreams"
Piotr Cú Chulainn
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Piotr Cú Chulainn » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:15 pm

2morrow I'm going to Dun Laoghaire to the festival and I am going to buy the ticket, so probably we'll see each other Dave on Sunday evening:)
"Follow your dreams"
Piotr Cú Chulainn
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Dab051176 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:25 pm

Piotr Cú Chulainn wrote:2morrow I'm going to Dun Laoghaire to the festival and I am going to buy the ticket, so probably we'll see each other Dave on Sunday evening:)

Hopefully so, Piotr! I'm due to arrive tomorrow lunchtime, and I'm hoping to catch some of the festival events in the afternoon, too - so we may bump into each other then. If not, hopefully see you at the Pavilion. :D
Dave

Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Piotr Cú Chulainn » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:34 pm

I got the ticket B16. This is 3 row at the side. There is no parade this year at the festival this year. There should be some interesting concerts on Sunday among others famous Lunasa...enjoy
"Follow your dreams"
Piotr Cú Chulainn
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Dab051176 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:16 pm

Just got back, Piotr, so I've only just got your message. Just for the future, though, I'd put seat numbers etc. on a PM rather than posting them on the open forum - just a security suggestion, though!!! :wink:

What a great night it was (when it eventually got going. A fire in the car park and gym below the theatre forced the complex to be evacuated, so we got going 75 minutes late! :shock:).

If you liked Trísan, you'll love this. The music of Guo Yue and Ayub Ogada is amazing, and Tara Byrne has got a great voice. The audience also got a bit of a surprise at the end, with Moya and Deirdre coming on stage to sing backing vocals for the final couple of songs (although Piotr & I had already seen Moya and Tim outside briefly beforehand, so it was less of a surprise to us! :)).

According to Pól's website, the show will be touring in Europe next year - and it really is worth our European forummers having a look nearer the time to see where and when the shows will be.
Dave

Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Next

Return to Clannad