Is it possible to change my forum name?

About Moya's forum, for site-related issues. Please start your site-related issue as a new topic and one of us will come along and advise.

Moderator: All Moderators

Is it possible to change my forum name?

Postby Yvonne » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:14 pm

Hello,

If it is possible I would like to change my forum name Suzanne into my real name Yvonne to avoid confusion. I have been planning to ask you this for a long time, but I just forgot every time! Of course it isn't so terrible if it can't be changed, but it would be nice if it could!

I hope you can help me with this.

Thanks! :D

Love,

Yvonne
"Let Your Love surround me. Light my heart to carry on"
Yvonne
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Roibeard Óg » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:34 pm

I'm also wondering about this! xD
"Tús maith, leath na hoibre!"
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

Postby ChrisRLG » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:19 pm

It is possible for admins to change it for you, but not for users to do it by themselves.

Generally it is bad practice to allow the change of usernames unless a very good reason is given.

If/When changes such as these are done it often leads to confusion for other members who do not know of the name change - EG what ever happened to 'name has disappeared', he/she used to post but I cant find any of thier posts anymore.

If you feel you have a good reason give Angoid or myself a PM, giving your reasons for why your username should be changed and we will descuss the issue for the moderator team before we decide yes or no.

IF - (yes IF) - we decide to do so you would be required to have your signature changed to show your previous username so that we could reduce confusion for other members.

EG the bottom of your signature would contain 'Previously known as xxxxx'
MS MVP 2005-6 to 2008-9

Please post the secret code: 'Shakey Lemon
ChrisRLG
Technical Administrator

Postby Yvonne » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:13 pm

Hello Chris,

Thanks for your reply! I have been away for a few days so I couldn't reply earlier.

I understand that it is more difficult to change my username than I thought! I do understand your reasons why it is so difficult though!

The reason why I would like to is really to avoid confusion. I have been signing my messages with my real name for a long time and I always feel it is a bit weird that my username is different , but I don't know if that is a very good reason!

As I said in my earlier post, it is not a disaster if it isn't possible. I would just prefer to use my real name.

Love,

Yvonne
Yvonne
Enthusiastic Member

Postby ChrisRLG » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:07 pm

Name change now done - please leave the additional signature line in your account for a time - say about 6 months - to avoid confusion for other members.
MS MVP 2005-6 to 2008-9

Please post the secret code: 'Shakey Lemon
ChrisRLG
Technical Administrator

Postby Yvonne » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:01 pm

Thank you very much and I will keep the signature this way for a long time!

Love,

Yvonne
Yvonne
Enthusiastic Member

Return to Administrator