Moya's New York dates in April 2010

Memories of shows, dreams of shows to come

Moderators: wonky_eggs, nessieq, mise, Grania, Banba Óir, All Moderators

Moya's New York dates in April 2010

Postby jpanarese » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:10 pm

Is anyone going to make any of the shows in New York in April? Fortunately, I will be at the April 10 show at the Boulton Center for the Performing Arts in Bayshore. It's actually only about twenty or so minutes away from where I live, so I'm looking forward to going. By chance, if anyone from the forum is also going, please let me know.

John
That which we do in life echoes throughout eternity
jpanarese
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Moya's New York dates in April 2010

Postby silmaril » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:26 am

jpanarese wrote:Is anyone going to make any of the shows in New York in April? Fortunately, I will be at the April 10 show at the Boulton Center for the Performing Arts in Bayshore. It's actually only about twenty or so minutes away from where I live, so I'm looking forward to going. By chance, if anyone from the forum is also going, please let me know.

John

Hey, John!

I'm definitely going tomorrow evening, Tuesday April 6th at 8pm at the City Winery in Manhattan. This will be, if I can keep track of my attendance, my sixth time seeing/meeting Moya. She's a sweetie every time I meet her. She loves to chit-chat with audience members after her set. Last time I got to see her was back in 07.

Enjoy the show in your area. Hope you get a chance to chit chat with her afterwards.

sil
silmaril

Postby jpanarese » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:26 pm

Hey, too bad you can't come out for the Saturday one, Sil. One of these days I'll get to meet you in person.

John
jpanarese
Enthusiastic Member

Postby silmaril » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:18 pm

jpanarese wrote:Hey, too bad you can't come out for the Saturday one, Sil. One of these days I'll get to meet you in person.

John

Hey John!

The gig was awesome last night. Got to chitchat with Moya quite a bit before I went home around midnight. She recognizes me EVERY SINGLE TIME! It's like reuniting with a favorite aunt at every family reunion and catching up with familial-like stories. She was actually looking for me on the last 2 or 3 gigs she did in Manhattan of which I wasn't able to attend. The last one I attended was back in December 07—she even remembered the name of the pub! It really warms my heart to know how down-to-earth she is.

sil
silmaril

Postby jpanarese » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:25 pm

I just received a call from tonight's venue. Unfortunately, it seems Moya has fallen ill and the show has been rescheduled until August.

I hope Moya is all right and gets better soon.

All the best
John
jpanarese
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Litsas » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:40 pm

The concert that you are talking about will now take place on Thursday August 5th.
I think that if Moya is ill, she has flown back to Europe by now to be better in time for her Dutch tour, which is supposed to begin @ April 14th in the Stadsgehoorzaal @ Vlaardingen!
Litsas

Postby Dab051176 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:00 pm

jpanarese wrote: I hope Moya is all right and gets better soon.

All the best
John

I've just had a look on moyabrennan.com - Moya has gone down with a throat infection, so has been advised to rest her voice, hence last night having to be postponed.

As John says, I'm sure we all hope it's nothing too serious. Moya, if you get to read this - get well soon!!!!!! ((((((((((((((((((Moya))))))))))))))))))))))))
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Wonderful show!

Postby TheresaF2010 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:40 am

I went to the show at the Boulton Center last night.

Moya and the band were in fine form. It was definitely worth the wait.
I think Moya's voice sounds better than ever (aside from that pesky little frog :wink: ) The song she sang acapella was just mesmerizing.

I was pleasantly surprised by the "meet and greet" afterwards. She's quite personable and I was able to speak with her without getting too nervous. We commiserated about how people mangle the spelling of our first names.

It was quite and enjoyable and memorable night...and the air conditioning wasn't bad either :)
TheresaF2010

Postby Dab051176 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:08 pm

Welcome to the forum, Theresa! Hope you enjoy it here, and if you need anything, feel free to let one of us know :D

Glad to hear you had a great night, and it was worth the wait! :lol:
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby jpanarese » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:23 pm

It was, indeed, a fantastic show. I was a little nervous when I had seen the rescheduled date a few months back, as I thought I might be away on vacation. Then, I forgot about it and it sort of crept up on me. Thank God for the newsletter.

I know many have heard the expression about a band or artist "sounding like they do on an album" when they perform live, and I know the Moya concert veterans will agree that she Definitely fits this description. Her voice is truly impressive, and the musician quality is top notch.

I could have sat there for hours more listening to them play. After they had flown in from Dublin that morning, I really couldn't believe how good they all sounded, and other than that slight "frog" in her throat mentioned before, Moya was spot on.

Then, meeting Moya and the band after the show was more than a treat. Moya is simply a warm and friendly person who you could see yourself sitting down to chat with for hours. I found myself a bit nervous while waiting to meet her, especially being last on the line and having that lengthy wait for the moment. However, within seconds, Moya plainly disarmed me and made me feel quite at ease with her down to earth manner and personality. My brother and his wife were with me, and they were blown away by the concert and the kindness of Moya and the band. It was Definitely an evening I shall not soon forget, and I am truly thankful to Moya for taking the time to chat. Also, a thank you to the band, and, particularly, Sinead for the autograph and the picture as well. For those who don't know, Sinead Madden has her own solo album, "Honey Promises", coming out soon. She has quite an impressive voice of her own.

John
jpanarese
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Susann » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:14 pm

Theresa and John, many thanks for telling about the concert and sharing your feelings :) :) :).
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. (Oscar Wilde)
Susann
Enthusiastic Member

Return to Moya live