Fed up hearing about swine flu?

The world's a big place. There's lots going on. Let everyone else know about it.

Moderator: All Moderators

Postby Grania » Wed May 13, 2009 4:03 pm

Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Ardens » Wed May 13, 2009 6:30 pm

I'm going to have this for dinner tomorrow! :lol:
Ardens
Addicted to Moya

Postby Methica » Mon May 18, 2009 8:20 pm

Ha, nice one! 8)
Imperfect is the new perfect
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:41 pm

"Maximum Media Paranoia Formula" Nice one!

A friend of mine who lives and works abroad is coming home for a few months within the next week or so. She asked me what the situation is like here as the media where she lives is reporting that the UK "is in the grip of the swine flu".

A doctor friend of mine says that the media is hyping this up, and that the fatality rate is actually much lower than that of ordinary flu.

And let's face it - the Government's motto of "Catch it, Bin it, Kill it" is .... what's the word .... plain old-fashioned common sense?
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby wonky_eggs » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:53 pm

Angoid wrote:A doctor friend of mine says that the media is hyping this up, and that the fatality rate is actually much lower than that of ordinary flu.

And let's face it - the Government's motto of "Catch it, Bin it, Kill it" is .... what's the word .... plain old-fashioned common sense?

Quoted for truth.

I'm sick of the media droning on about it. People get sick all of the time. People get flu every year. Yes, people die from ordinary flu - and more so than swine flu, but you just never hear of it because it's taken for granted that frail, elderly and very young people will die of it or at least be very ill.

They should all just be glad they don't have hallucinations like I did last time I had the flu. Joan Rivers was hosting celebrity parties inside my duvet: "Ah, look who's coming down the red carpet now!" AGH!! :shock: :lol:
wonky_eggs

Postby Calogero » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:33 am

Yes! Definitely fed up with :?
"Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life." (Proverbs 4:23)
Calogero

Postby nessieq » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:18 pm

wonky_eggs wrote:They should all just be glad they don't have hallucinations like I did last time I had the flu. Joan Rivers was hosting celebrity parties inside my duvet: "Ah, look who's coming down the red carpet now!" AGH!! :shock: :lol:

LOL. I had one that it was snowing in my room, and that was why I was shivering so much :P Not nearly as fun tho.

As for 'catch it, bin it, kill it' - is this not going to promote mass bin-destruction?
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby Memory of Trees » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:21 pm

I remember having the real flu this past year, I couldn't walk without holding on to something. And for some reason, I saw everything in a very colorful way, if you know what I mean. :lol:
Moving to the Pagan Sound..... :)
Memory of Trees

Postby Dab051176 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:00 pm

nessieq wrote: As for 'catch it, bin it, kill it' - is this not going to promote mass bin-destruction?

:lol: Erm.....never thought of it that way, Ness!!!! :lol:
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:16 pm

As for 'catch it, bin it, kill it' - is this not going to promote mass bin-destruction?

As in Osama bin Laden? :mrgreen:
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Dab051176 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:40 pm

Angoid wrote:

As in Osama bin Laden? :mrgreen:

Angus - I didn't think this was possible, but the puns are getting worse!!! :wink: :lol: :lol:
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Nigel » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:00 am

Turns out that Swine flu is very similar to seasonal flu. It was simply blown out of proportion by the media. Its always the same response when the words 'epidemic', 'pandemic' or 'fatal' are printed in bold large type across the newspapers. :mrgreen:
Nigel
Addicted to Moya

Postby Dubhy63 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:23 am

I agree Nigel,there are genuine cases of course,but the media always has to use some kind of exaggeration. :x
* No man ever wore a scarf as warm as his daughter’s arm around his neck.*
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby Methica » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:03 am

Nigel wrote:Turns out that Swine flu is very similar to seasonal flu. It was simply blown out of proportion by the media. Its always the same response when the words 'epidemic', 'pandemic' or 'fatal' are printed in bold large type across the newspapers. :mrgreen:

Yeah, my mum, dad and sister had it, with me being the only one here in my family who didn't catch it. We couldn't really tell the difference between a seasonal flu or swine flu, much the same, just blown out of proportion...
Imperfect is the new perfect
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:05 pm

And this, of course, really surprises me :roll:

The problem comes when a virus is for real ... nobody will believe them because of instances such as this one.

It's a "Cry wolf" scenario.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Next

Return to Rattle Bag