Life Updates?

Your platform. Get to know each other (but don't forget about us!)

Moderator: All Moderators

Life Updates?

Postby A_S » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:49 pm

Hey everyone! It's been a bit quiet around here, something I'm guilty of myself, and that usually happens when the members here are quite busy with that little thing called "real life". How is everyone? Anything big going on?

Here's my update:
I just started university this fall, and so my year started with the big move out of my house and into the dorms! While I initially wasn't so sure about the whole thing, now I absolutely love university. I took some hard courses in math and physics and French and a really fun one in Roman history (the likes of which I have been waiting to take since I was about 12!), and I think I learned a lot. At the very least, I learned that I should NOT take a class for which I don't quite have the pre-requisite knowledge! :lol: Next semester I continue on with physics and math and get to start taking geology, which is my potential area of concentration (we call them majors in the US). Hopefully I can fit in a history course somewhere too!

The people at Yale are incredible (and some of them even know Moya/Clannad!). I feel "normal" there, even when I am going on about Moya stuff or using some odd (and probably pretentious and even more probably incorrect :lol: ) speech patterns, because everyone there does that to a greater or lesser extent! I have made some absolutely amazing new friends there, and I can't wait to see them for the Spring semester, though I am glad of the chance to take a break and spend a few weeks at home. So, Yale is hard, but I think that I am also happier than I have been at any other time in my life. Pretty good deal, I'd say!

How about everyone else?
A_S
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Anya » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:22 pm

Welcome back. I'm glad to hear things are going well for you. :D
Anything is possible, if you believe.
Anya
Addicted to Moya

Postby eadgyth » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:26 pm

That's a nice little update, AS, and once again, well done!
I loved my time at university as well, but I definitely didn't learn even half as much as I should have. Looking back, I'd never do it again on an acedemic point of view, but on all the other aspects of student life it was great and I really miss the time and the company of the friends I made there (one of my closest friends luckily lives in the same city, so we see each other quite a lot, but the others are scattered all over the globe).

Apart from that, I've been working for a tour operator for a little over a year and I love my job, even though there are times when I forget that :wink:
Well, that's about it...my life is pretty uneventful at the moment.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional
eadgyth
Addicted to Moya

Postby nessieq » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:09 pm

What a nice thread! I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying uni, AS, and my goodness what diverse subjects you're allowed to take!! I take English literature... and that's it :P With one module in french last year. Crazy, the difference in approaches!

Well, my life has taken a very different turn in the last few days. I have been sick for quite a while now, and yesterday my doctor told me I should take six months off to try and recover. Sooo I am putting my degree on hold for a while, and am going to become a lady of leisure instead! I'm not allowed to any uni work so I am going to join the local library and read everything they have in there instead. :mrgreen: And maybe take a french course, or learn to cook. It's going to be a ridiculous change in lifestyle, but I dont realy have much choice in the matter so while I get the treatment I will just make the most of it!! I am, however, *loving* university still, and am hoping to go on and get a masters degree and a PhD some day, probably in Renaissance and Medieval literature. Sooo... that's the current plan! Looking forward to reading other people's 'life updates'...

xxx
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby Dab051176 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:59 pm

(((((((((((((Ness)))))))))))) If it's any consolation, I had to defer my degree for a year, so welcome to that particular club! :wink: Having said that, I found it was far more enjoyable after that break - hopefully the same will happen for you. In the meantime, look after yourself - your health is the most important thing.

Well, it's been a turbulent year for me! I work for one of the banks who nearly "went to the wall" in the credit crunch, so a fair few people who I work with either lost their jobs, or have taken voluntary redundancy. Thankfully, for the time being at least, I still have a job - so I'm making the most of it! :wink:
I'm also retraining in IT support, in an attempt to give myself the chance of moving if necessary later on.

Here's hoping 2010 will bring a few less upheavals!!! :mrgreen:
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby eadgyth » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:49 pm

Dab051176 wrote:Here's hoping 2010 will bring a few less upheavals!!! :mrgreen:

Same here, even though if things keep going the way they are now, 2010 is going to be hell for the Austrian outgoing tourism....

(((((((((((Ness)))))))))))) get well soon! Even though reading everything in the library does sound challenging, I hope you can make it back to uni soon.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional
eadgyth
Addicted to Moya

Postby Maya85 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:23 pm

It's really nice thread!

Well my life updates...I haven't been here soooo long :( and I really missed you all....

So last year I finished university and became a bachelor (geology) after that I started to study economics but it is not my cup of tea so I decided to chage the uni and I really want to study pharmacy. It is what I want to study and do for my living. I am very interested in it. So please :oops: wish me good luck to be successful with the entrance exams :-) I've already started studying chemistry and I enjoy it :-)

Another update...I had to quit my modeling activities...after three years of hard working on my figure I have chondromalacia in my knees ( becuase of not eating a lot and too much excercising) and thanks to high heels my big toes are deformated :( it is not only ugly but also painful. And it will probably have to go for surgery - hope NOT!!! So if I have a daughter....once in my life....she will not be allowed to be a model or wear highheels till she is 18 :P

Another update - instead of short black hair I am wearing long and light brown (my natural color :-) )

So that should be all my big uodates...well one update will come soon :P I will become - 25 years - I am getting OLD lol
Make my heart a better place
Maya85

Postby Garbo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:58 am

I haven't been on here in ages! It would almost seem ridiculous to update people, but I had a Moya song pop up on my iPod and decided to stop by. :)

Am still alive, still have the pony and the guinea pig (I'm not sure if I ever mentioned them on here??), and am finally graduating!! It's taken forever (literally), but am glad that it will be over. Not sure what I'm going to do from there but the plan is to take some time off.

My health is okay, not great, but for having epilepsy I cannot complain. I am so active it's nuts.

No boys. :( I'm too busy right now and have had to focus on, you know, the pony. ;) She's very important.

*waves*
epic
Garbo

Postby Grania » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:20 am

Hey Garbo! Haven't seen you around for ages, great to see you! Congratulations on graduating :D I'm really glad to hear that things are ok :D
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby A_S » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:09 pm

Garbo! I had wondered what had happened to you! Glad that you are well and that you are graduating.

Maya, I am also studying geology at university, as well as classics. How did you like it?
A_S

Postby nessieq » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:56 pm

GAARBOOOOO!! *So* lovely to see you, it has been forever and ever and ever! Congrats on graduating, that must be a wonderful feeling, and I'm glad your health issues have resolved themselves to something manageable. Take care of yourself!! xxx
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby wonky_eggs » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:43 pm

Hey Garbo, long time no see!

Nice to see you doing well and congratulations on the graduation, and I totally sympathise with the need for obviously well-earned rest (I certainly hope I can get a week or two in once I *fingers crossed* graduate in June!). It's good to have you back, and let's just hope more Moya songs pop on your ipod in the near future :wink: :lol:
wonky_eggs

Postby Dab051176 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:18 pm

Yet another congratulations, Garbo - and welcome back! Keep playing that iPod! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

@Wonky Eggs - Hope all goes well for you later in the year. I'm sure you'll be fine, and you'll graduate without any problem! :wink:
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby wonky_eggs » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:29 pm

Dab051176 wrote:@Wonky Eggs - Hope all goes well for you later in the year. I'm sure you'll be fine, and you'll graduate without any problem! :wink:

Thanks, I'm trying to keep positive, but then I have the odd day like yesterday when I'm flooded with panic/writer's block. Thankfully today is a good day and I can see clearly how I can get this work done on time.
wonky_eggs

Postby Jim » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:15 am

Today I am turning:

THE BIG FIVE-OH!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Cheers,
Jim
http://ezfolk.com/audio/bands/894/index.php

Dieu de service, et Dieu seulement.
Jim

Next

Return to Fan space