New Clannad album!

News, Nostalgia, etc.

Moderators: wonky_eggs, mise, Grania, Banba Óir, All Moderators

Postby Banba Óir » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:25 pm

webmaster of the Clannad Newsblog at www.clannad.nl
Banba Óir

Postby Gina B » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:34 pm

Thank you everyone! What a warm group of people you are. I wish we could all meet somewhere sometime! Wouldn't that be a hoot! :D

I will check out the google links tonight when I get home. I usually write to you from my job and my work PC is blocking me from them.

Also, I thought I would let you all know that while we wait for a possible new Clannad CD, the Duggans' Rubicon is absolutely fantastic!!! Moya is featured on several tracks, and Bridin and Dierdre sing either lead vocals or backing vocals on most tracks. I ordered it from the Clannad website. The book that is offered there is also fantastic.

One last question for today: How is Bridin pronounced? Is it with a long i sound as in "bride" or a short i sound as in "grid".

Thanks!!! Gina
Peace
Gina B

Postby Hester » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:19 pm

Hi Gina!

A very warm welcome from me as well!
I agree with you that this a lovely and warm place to hang around and yes, we do meet up from time to time on various occasions :D A group of crazy girls even went on holiday together this Summer *whistles innocently*

About Brídín, I heard Moya pronouncing it as Breedgeen...a bit difficult to put it into writing but with the sound of 'to breed' in there and a 'g' sound :D Enjoy the forum!

Hester
Love takes off the mask we fear we cannot live without an know we cannot live within - James Baldwin
Hester
Addicted to Moya

Postby Ardens » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:58 pm

Gina B wrote:Thank you everyone! What a warm group of people you are. I wish we could all meet somewhere sometime! Wouldn't that be a hoot! :D

I will check out the google links tonight when I get home. I usually write to you from my job and my work PC is blocking me from them.

Also, I thought I would let you all know that while we wait for a possible new Clannad CD, the Duggans' Rubicon is absolutely fantastic!!! Moya is featured on several tracks, and Bridin and Dierdre sing either lead vocals or backing vocals on most tracks. I ordered it from the Clannad website. The book that is offered there is also fantastic.

One last question for today: How is Bridin pronounced? Is it with a long i sound as in "bride" or a short i sound as in "grid".

Thanks!!! Gina

I agree with you that "Rubicon" is fantastic. My favourite songs on the album are "The Rubicon" and "Fannan na cnoic". It's wonderful to hear so many great voices and songs on one album!
Ardens
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:19 am

Rubicon is certainly a fantastic album - an album for listening to in Ireland as well :D

As for the pronunciation of Brídín, I've heard a couple of versions. the 'i' with a fada (accent) in Irish like this always means a long sound, like 'ee' (as in 'seen' for example, not short as in 'sin'), the 'd' however seems to change - I've heard it pronunced both as in 'dog' and as a 'g' sound instead, as Hester says - personally I'd be inclinded to make it, as Hester suggests as that seems to be the normal pronunciation, and the one Moya uses :D Making the 'd' a 'g' sound seems to be part of the Donegal dialect I think
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Piotr Cú Chulainn » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:30 pm

any news about the album? Moya told me in December: 'You should talk to my brothers" She's the boss isn't it? They are busy or just lazy :)
"Follow your dreams"
Piotr Cú Chulainn
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Roibeard Óg » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:36 am

Hope this helps!

Brídín
Ulster (Donegal, Antrim, Derry, Armagh, Down, Cavan, Monaghan, Fermanagh, Tyrone): Bree-jeen (flick the 'r')
Galway: Bree-deen (flick the 'r')
Dublin: Bree-deen (don't flick the 'r')!

The 'r' flick's the most important bit. All other regions in Ireland will use the Galway or Dublin variants, Ulster's just special! :lol:

Piotr Cú Chulainn wrote:any news about the album? Moya told me in December: 'You should talk to my brothers" She's the boss isn't it? They are busy or just lazy :)

I hope there's news soon, desperate for a fresh Clannad fix, although I was listening to 'Lore' and 'Banba' all day today, and they still sound so fresh! I've not had a chance to listen to them in a while.

I doubt there'll be any immediate news though, they all seem so busy:

Moya is working on a new album, promoting US documentary & album, working on an album with T with the Ms, touring the US and the Netherlands, doing charitable work for CMB & others, recording collaborations around every three months, showcasing around the world and being a fantastic mum all at once *breathes* :lol:

Pól is (possibly still) recording with Tara Ní Bhroin and works year-round on film and tv soundtracks. - I hope he becomes a member of Clannad again [= I don't know much about the other three, but Noel & Pádraig are with Norland Wind.

I almost feel terrible now for being disappointed with no Clannad news :lol:
"Tús maith, leath na hoibre!"
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

Postby A_S » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:58 am

How does the "r flick" work?
A_S
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Roibeard Óg » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:07 pm

A_S wrote:How does the "r flick" work?

It's not the best example, but say 'Care' in a Scottish accent, that's close enough I think :lol:

Or the name Bree from Desperate Housewives, and add 'jeen' xD
"Tús maith, leath na hoibre!"
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

Re: New Clannad album!

Postby hermeyjdi » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:47 am

Not sure when the new Clannad album will be done or ready but Leon (Moya's Brother) told me that Clannad realized after they got to the USA that they should have had it completed by now as there aren't as many Record stores these days as there once where. When I told him that "Landmarks" was my favorite Clannad album. He told me that the new album is kind of like "Landmarks 2". I can't wait to hear it but have no news of when it will be available.
Jesus said to Peter, "feed my sheep not experiment on my rats" -C S Lewis
hermeyjdi
Addicted to Moya

Postby Yvonne » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:00 am

I am looking forward very much to the new Clannad album. I also love Landmarks, so Landmarks 2 sounds very interesting. :D

Love,

Yvonne
"Let Your Love surround me. Light my heart to carry on"
Yvonne
Enthusiastic Member

Postby kevinkells » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:52 pm

'Landmarks' is a favorite of mine also- looking forward to it when its out.
kevinkells
Really Enthusiastic Member

Previous

Return to Clannad