To End All Wars

Discuss anything about Moya and her music

Moderator: All Moderators

To End All Wars

Postby catch22 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:00 am

I Heard Moya Brennan sing a couple of songs for the music score of the movie, "To End All Wars" According to the credits, the titles are "Mo Mhiann," "Healing Heart," "La na Cruinne "(end of time) "Find the place," and "I will go".

Now, as I speak English with great alacrity, It isn't to difficult to figure out which is which of the English songs: but I have absolutely no idea how to tell the difference between the Gaelic ones. I would like to know which song is which. I'd also like to know if she has ever released a cd with any of those songs on them. (If she didn't, she should. They are positively awesome.{I mean that in the strictest sense. Awe inspiring.}

I Would have to go back and watch the movie again to be sure, but I think one of the Gaelic songs was just before the crucifixion scene, and one was at the credits, . There where probably other instances, But I can't remember at present.

Why in the heck are there so many polls on this forum?
Vegetarians eat vegetables. Humanitarians frighten me.
catch22

Re: To End All Wars

Postby Susann » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:50 am

catch22 wrote:I'd also like to know if she has ever released a cd with any of those songs on them. (If she didn't, she should. They are positively awesome.{I mean that in the strictest sense. Awe inspiring.}

Once I asked Moya after a concert if a CD with the soundtrack of this movie exists. Unfortunately not :(.

On the 22 January the movie was on German TV again. There is a scene with the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders walking out of a castle and I was wondering which castle it is. The next day - the 23 January - I flew to Glasgow to the Celtic Connections Festival for 3 days. Sunday night after the DERVISH concert (morning :wink:) I was in the festival club and there a man told me that it is easy to go from Glasgow to Sterling Castle. So I did just some hours later. But I had no clue about Sterling Castle. I had a guided tour there. When we were in the Inner Close the guide told about the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders and the museum there. I couldn't believe it. This castle was their regimental headquarter and the scene in the movie was filmed at Sterling Castle.

Photos from the castle you can find here http://forums.moyabrennan.com/viewtopic.php?t=3278. When I posted the link in the forum I had no time to write a story to my trip to Scotland. Because to write in English takes a lot of time to me.
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. (Oscar Wilde)
Susann
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Dab051176 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:33 am

Welcome to the forum, Catch22! :D

Many of the polls on the forum go way back, and then get found again from time to time, so as more people post, they become more obvious again. I've been here just under 2 years now, and in that time, not many new ones have popped up! Eventually, they will probably just "fall off" the board - but most of the threads these days are discussions!

Hope you enjoy your time with us!
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Re: To End All Wars

Postby catch22 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:52 pm

Susann wrote:Once I asked Moya after a concert if a CD with the soundtrack of this movie exists. Unfortunately not :(.

Rats.
catch22

Postby catch22 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:54 pm

Dab051176 wrote:Many of the polls on the forum go way back, and then get found again from time to time, so as more people post, they become more obvious again. I've been here just under 2 years now, and in that time, not many new ones have popped up! Eventually, they will probably just "fall off" the board - but most of the threads these days are discussions!

Aha! So that explains it!

Dab051176 wrote:Hope you enjoy your time with us!
Thank you.
catch22

Postby kevinkells » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:37 pm

Welcome to Moya's forum 'catch22', you'll soon get your feel around here!
kevinkells
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby wonky_eggs » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:17 pm

Welcome to the forum!

It is a shame that the soundtrack to this film was never released as there are some truly wonderful songs on it. If I remember correctly the film was due to be released in late 2001, and then we all know what happened that September and as such it was felt that it wouldn't be an appropriate film to be showing in cinemas. I remember it did show in a few places though, but without the widespread showing of the film a soundtrack album wouldn't be very successful.

And as for the polls - until a few weeks ago the forum was set to delete any topics unused for six months. For some reason the forum was very fond of the polls and refused to let them go, and now we have piles of polls! :roll: :lol:

Barry.
wonky_eggs

Postby silmaril » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:58 pm

Good news, everyone!

When I went to see Moya perform here in NYC last April 6th, I was able to get a copy of my DVD insert signed! Here it is:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll141/thebaton/to_end_all_wars.jpg

Just as she was autographing the item, she commented something about people have been asking her about it.

I boldly asked her if its soundtrack would ever be released. Her response was that she has re-recorded TWO of the tracks from the film with Cormac and will be included in the upcoming release. She said nothing more. She sounded very enthusiastic about it, though!
silmaril

Postby wonky_eggs » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:33 pm

Thanks excellent news about the re-recordings - thanks for sharing!
wonky_eggs

Postby Roibeard Óg » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:31 pm

Just throwing the lyrics in quick. The first song I've almost got (I hope!), Go Brách (Mo Mhian), there are a ton of mistakes! I hope I've got the general idea though..

Casadh mo Chroí (The Turning/Pulsing of my Heart)

Rachfaidh mise siar sán áit a bhfuil mo thriall
Is beir liom go deo

I will go west [back] where my trial lies
And hold on to me forever

Ó bhual mé air nuair a casadh mo chroí
Is beir liom go deo

I met him when my heart turned

Fada uaim, ó 'ghrá tabhair dom do lámh, fán liom
Is beir liom go deo

Far from me my love, give my your hand, stay with me

---

Go Brách (Mo Mhian) / Forever (My Love)

____ ___ thrialfas
Go brách mo mhian
Ó rún dílis
Go brách mo mhian

_____ I would journey
Forever my love
O faithful darling
Forever, my love

Saol ____ a féin
Nach mbeidh bearadh air

Life ____ his (his ____ life)
May it not be cut short

Ar aghaidh, do shúl'sa
Arraing mo leiriu

In your face, your eyes,
I see my own worry (pangs)
"Tús maith, leath na hoibre!"
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

Postby hermeyjdi » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:50 am

Both the songs are on the "Harps & Voices" CD right? I know for a fact that one of them is because Moya told me that it would be on there when I saw her live right before the My Match Is A Makin' CD came out.
Jesus said to Peter, "feed my sheep not experiment on my rats" -C S Lewis
hermeyjdi
Addicted to Moya

Postby wonky_eggs » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:46 pm

Thanks for that bit of insight into the lyrics! I do sometimes wish Moya would enunciate her words more :wink: :lol:
wonky_eggs

Return to General