what a live show can do to you....

Memories of shows, dreams of shows to come

Moderators: wonky_eggs, nessieq, mise, Grania, Banba Óir, All Moderators

Re: Moya in Alexandria, VA

Postby Hester » Fri May 22, 2009 9:02 am

Steven wrote:I had the pleasure of seeing Moya live at Birchmere in Alexandria this past Sunday. Ashley Davis was to have been the opening act that night and I was excited about seeing her almost as much as I was about seeing Moya.

I am a long-time fan of Clannad and Moya, have every album they ever put out, introduced their music to many people and have long hoped to see at least Moya in concert. I've seen all the photos of Moya in concert and, finally, my chance came. I left home and picked up a friend, who came to enjoy Moya's music because of me, along the way and we drove the 400+ miles to Alexandria, VA. We talked about Moya and Ashley Davis and listened to music and wondered how nice it would be to finally see Moya and band live.

Finally, FINALLY, the time came and we were seated, fed, and waiting. No Ashley Davis though due to 'losing her voice' was the first disappointment. An incomplete band followed next, and songs left off the Heart Strings album followed. A couple of comments by members of the band such as, 'like you people in America say it' and 'what's next - oh, falling asleep' and 'couldn't afford to fly the whole band over' left me feeling slighted and below what fans in Ireland, England, mainland EU, even New York would receive. Any of this intentional? I don't know. I hope not. What I do know is that it left me a little less of a fan than I was, and I was a huge fan. Before this I was considering making the trip to see Moya and Ashley again, possibly in Annapolis or Pennsylvania or maybe Ohio.

Before you condemn me for speaking ill of the lady singer we all love please understand this, that I am a 100% disabled veteran who finds it extremely difficult to travel long distances such as the trip I made to see Moya and Ashley. Not to mention that I'll be paying for this trip for some time to come. As a fan, I'd expected, without even thinking of it, to see and hear exactly what I know happens in other concerts by Moya, just as it is billed. I imagine Ashley Davis will have her voice back in time for the NYC concerts, and the other band members will be there as well. Feel free to tell me differently if this isn't the case.

Given all this, it was still a great pleasure to see and hear Moya sing. Shannon, the other female vocalist and on keyboards, also impressed me, enough so that I bought her album.

Would I do it again knowing what I now know? No. I would have spent the time and money enjoying the other sites of D.C. with my friend. We sure had a good time being tourists and she was just as curious as I was.

Steve

Really sorry to hear your concert experience turned out to be a bit of a disapointment Steven. :| I've been to quite a few concerts myself and have met and talked to Moya on several occasions and I know that she really appreciates the people who love her music and who are coming to see her shows...I am sure these comments may have sounded a bit awkward but I am sure they weren't intentional...

However, I do believe that the comment about not being able to afford to fly the whole band over was very sincere and I also believe that Moya tries everything she can to keep this band together at all costs, and to play with a full set of band members as often as she can. But that (as cliché as it may sound these days) the finincial crisis also has an effect on a singer off her reputation. I've heard from one of her bandmembers (the guitarplayer who stood in for Fionan during the UK tour) who I spoke to recently, that it was quite a disapointment for all of them to see a venue like the Union Chapel in London filled with about 200 people only, while it should have been 4 to 5 times more...When you realize that Moya puts a lot of her own finances into her tours I am sure you can imagine this must not have been easy.

I do understand your disapointment especially since you had such a long way to travel and since you're a huge fan and this was your first time hearing Moya live. I just hope that you won't let it have any effect on how much you enjoy the music and I do hope that whenever you get the chance again to see another show, you will get into your car and drive all the way up, cause it is worth it!
Love takes off the mask we fear we cannot live without an know we cannot live within - James Baldwin
Hester
Addicted to Moya

Postby PierreC » Fri May 22, 2009 3:26 pm

I still dont understand what went wrong at the Birchmere concert. What Moya said that created that kind of deception Stephen ?

Sorry but i dont get it...what is it that you didnt like ? The fact that she said there was band members missing ?

Ok...but now how was the concert ?? You didnt say anything about it ?
PierreC
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Dab051176 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:43 pm

Dubhy63 wrote:It's most likely that the concert will take place in An Grianán Theatre http://www.angrianan.com/index.html . I've also checked the festival website http://www.eaf.ie ,but no info available at this moment. :D

Sorry, Dubhy - I must admit I've just noticed this post! :oops:

You're right, it is at the An Grianán - I'm all sorted and ready to go (well, I've got an Email receipt that I've got to take, so I'm hoping that will be exchanged for a ticket! :?) If you're making the trip north for it, hope to see you there. :)
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby A_S » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:00 pm

I saw Moya at a later concert on this tour and just thought that I'd comment. The show that I saw was a great concert with a fantastic, lively band (yes, those absent were missed, but Shannon was a great addition, as was Isaac on the pipes, and Cormac and Fionan were delightful, as usual). I've seen Moya live three times, and this one was by far my favorite. Ashley Davis was also wonderful, so I can certainly understand your disappointment at being unable to hear her sing. Perhaps the show you attended was an off night for them, and I'm sorry if so, but please be assured that Moya remains on the top of her game. I hope that you do not let this experience tarnish your opinion of Moya and that you have a chance to see a concert in all of its usual glory.
A_S
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby wheel1202 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:17 pm

i saw moya in winchester and it was fantastic i have been a fan of clannad and moya's since around the time of harry's game first came out.
im disabled and realy love my music and at the time that i first heard clanned i was into reggae and soul music so harry's game was so differant to what i was listening too at the time but it just blew me away
i first saw clannad in southampton and at first i though i had made a real mistake couse as the lights went down a spotlight picked out a single harp and i thought what have i done!!! but i was blown away it was one of the best concerts i have ever been too.
the second time again in southampton was just as good so when i saw that Moya was playing at winchester i booked up straight away, again it was a great concert and the last in the series of english dates so there was a party atmosphere to the evening. i saw a post about would we go to a concert if there was no chairs and dance well i dont need a chair as i nring my own lol i always dance and i was dancing at winchester...... i only hope i can see both clanned and moya again couse music is life and its kept me alive at times
:lol:
wheel1202

Postby Grania » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:04 pm

Nice to see you again! That was one amazing concert wasn't it?

If you're into Irish music, the trad band Lúnasa will be in Southampton..I think it's May next year, so keep your eye on that, I know I am!
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby wheel1202 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:29 pm

hi

thanks for that i will keep a look out for that. i will also keep my eye peel here for other nes so thanks again
wheel1202

Previous

Return to Moya live