Desert Island

Got a forum-game you'd like to play or a story you'd like to create or share? This is the place for it! Please do check to make sure we're not already playing the game you have in mind before starting a new thread for it.

Moderator: All Moderators

Desert Island

Postby Grania » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:14 pm

Hi all.

I don't about other countries, but in the UK on the radio we have a programme called 'Desert Island Discs'...I thought maybe we could try a forum version!

The rules are simple enough. Each person can choose certain items they'd want with them if they were to be stuck on a desert island. You can have 8 SINGLE SONGS (not albums), 1 book and 1 luxury item.

Give it a try! I'll post mine later!
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Phantas » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:30 am

how would you play those songs if you're not carrying a cd player (probably one with headphones and plenty of batteries!)
LOL!
An mp3 player won't be a solution either, as when it runs out of power you need to stick it in somewhere to reload! AFAIRC a desert island doesn't have a plug LOL!

just kidding G, I couldn't for the life of me choose only 8 songs to accompany me in the loneliness! :shock:

Love,
Phantas
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:46 pm

Greg - you could get a solar charger for your MP3 player :)
Being a desert island, there will be sun aplenty :D

As for a possible answer to this though ..... I'd have to think long and hard .... but I think Tara would definitely be on the list of 8 songs .....
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Dab051176 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:48 pm

Angoid wrote: As for a possible answer to this though ..... I'd have to think long and hard .... but I think Tara would definitely be on the list of 8 songs .....

Good choice, Angus! I'm with you, I'll have to think about this, and post a "proper" answer later. I had one thought in particular - Teidhir Abhaile Ríu. The energy in that would be guaranteed to relieve any boredom (well it would for me, anyway. :wink: :lol: )!!!
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:26 pm

Right well, I'll try and put mine first....

Songs:
1 - Na buachaillí álainn trad. arr. Clannad
I don't think I could ever be without this song, it always manages to make me feel good. Comfort song.
2 - Mr O'Connor O'Carolan
Played by Cormac DeBarra of course :D . There is no piece I know that is more beautiful.
3 - Someday soon
From Judy Collins' album 'Amazing Grace. I have this on one of my parents' records, and I absolutely adore it. The lyrics make me think of a hopeful teenage girl...perhaps hoping in vain, but not giving up, and the rest of it is so beautifully 60s :D
4 - Tara Moya Brennan.
Up-lifting, beautiful and packed with some of my best memories!
5 - Dubhdara Shaun Davey, vocals by Rita Connolly
This one I can't explain, it has too many deep personal connections for me, and Rita Connolly's voice is one of the most magnificent there is!
6 - Jerry Holland's (jigs) trad.
Played by Seán Smyth with a massive amount of energy and skill, just brilliant.
7 - Hourglass Clannad
Classic Clannad, always good :lol: Again, uplifting and beautiful
8 - Number 8 is in suspension as I can't decide, and there's so much going on this evening that I can't concentrate on it :lol: I want to choose a male vocal...so watch this space.

Book:
Another tough choice. It's a toss-up between my two favourite books, one, a children's book 'The Ghost of Grania O'Malley' that I'll never tire of and is very comforting. The other 'The Wild Irish' which is sort of the grown-up version....I think I'd probably choose that one :D

Luxury item:
Unlimited paper and ink I think, then I could manage most other things I'd want, like films, in my head. That or my collection of photographs, because I don't think I'd want to be without them :)

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Angoid » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:10 pm

OK, how about this for a luxury item?
An Internet-going computer (with Internet access, of course) powered by the sun using solar rechargeable batteries :D

This means access at any time to your favourite songs and videos, favourite forums, and other things besides :)

Book - The Bible :mrgreen:

8 songs - well, I've already said Tara, but with the luxury item mentioned you could have many more than eight :lol:

OK, I guess I only cheated a little ....... :shock:
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Grania » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:14 pm

Tut tut Angus!

The idea behind this is to hear the reasons behind people's choices of songs - it's curiousity! What do the songs mean to you all?

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Macha » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:13 pm

Nice idea, Grania! Hm, I have to think about what I'd take with me on that island.

Songs:

- "Brian Boru's March" (Clannad):
I love this tune
- "Maymorning" (Runrig):
it's just a "cheer up and smile" track
- "Loch Lomond" (Runrig):
One of the first songs I've heard from the band - it's great!
- "Saber Rider Main Theme" (from the "Saber Rider" soundtrack):
this is the Main Theme of my favourite cartoon series. When I listen to it, then it brings back memories to my childhood, when I was about 11, 12 years old when I watched this series on TV
- "Allein Allein" (Polarkreis 18 ): it's just a great song and the title song to the movie "Krabat", based on the book by Otfried Preußler
- "Never Ending Story" (Limahl) - love the song, the movie and the book. One of my "All time favourites".
- "Run" (Amy MacDonald): Just love the song - it's one of my faves from Amy's debut "This is the Life"
- "L.A." (Amy MacDonald): just love the song - that's all

Books:

"The Neverending Story" by Michael Ende

Luxury item:

my pencils and my sketch book and my coloured pencils
Last edited by Macha on Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Macha
Addicted to Moya

Re: Desert Island

Postby wonky_eggs » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:04 pm

Okay, so it's taken a while to come up with something, but here you go:

Songs:

*Mascagni's "Intermezzo" from Cavelleria Rusticana

The first time this piece stuck out to me was during an episode of the TV series Northern Exposure. The scene that played showed a character performing a movement to the music which was shown to highlight the innocence and beauty of the character's heart and how she inspired the population to name the town, Cicily, after her. Such simple beauty.

*Canteloube's "Baïlero" from Songs Of The Auvergne (performed by Frederica Von Stade)

Another piece I heard on the Northern Exposure soundtrack which just blew me away. Heart-wrenchingly beautiful, I could listen to this opera endlessly and never tire of it.

*Tori Amos "Space Dog"

One of Tori's most sing-alongable songs, I haven't a clue what message she's trying to get across, but I just love wailing along to it, and it just sounds brilliant live.

*Björk "Domestica"

Originally this was going to be the title-track to her 'Vespertine' album, but ended up being a b-side. A gorgeously simple story of Björk losing her house keys, it just makes me grin in a very child-like way.

*Clannad "Éirigh Suas a Stóirín"

The harmonies, oh those harmonies...

*Erasure "Stop!"

A childhood favourite, and still a favourite to this day. A nightclub in my home town always closes with this song no matter if the theme of the night it indie, cheesey pop or hard-core heavy metal - and everytime the dance floor is packed with people going wild to this song. This will be the kicking-out song at the end of my funeral one day, just to cheer everyone up.

*Kate Bush "Babooshka"

A crazy, mad song to sing along to (and dance if you know the video!) with a fun and wise story about deceiving those you love.

*Joni Mitchell "Night in the City"

One of the very few upbeat Joni songs, and one I heard about 10 years ago at a friend's house in the background. As soon as I heard it, the world stopped, up went the volume and I knew I was in love with two minutes and twenty-nine seconds of pure musical joy.

Book:

*Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach

A friend loaned me her copy of this book when I was 18 telling me how she thought I'd like it and how she'd re-read it several times, always found it inspiring and found a new message in it every time. A year later I bought my own copy and have re-read it several times, and like my friend I find it always helps me find a new direction or helps to validate any choices and decisions I have made in my life.

Luxury Item:

*My paint set

After being inspired by my grandad and the covers of several Joni Mitchell covers I decided I wanted to learn how to paint using oils. I showed my grandad the sorts of paintings I like and then over the course of the following months he taught me all I needed to know. I find whenever I'm stressed or feeling I'm at a dead-end life seems to sort itself out at the stroke of a brush on canvas.
wonky_eggs

Return to Games and Stories