Annoying things

Your platform. Get to know each other (but don't forget about us!)

Moderator: All Moderators

Postby eadgyth » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:57 pm

:lol: nice point, kevinkells!

You know, Grania, in German dove and pigeon translate to the same thing, which is "Taube", and I doubt that biologically there is a difference, but I could be wrong of course. Please correct me then!
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional
eadgyth
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:07 pm

I didn't know that! Interesting. I'd say there's some difference in appearance between the two, but otherwise I'm not at all sure!
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Methica » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:35 am

eadgyth wrote:You know, Grania, in German dove and pigeon translate to the same thing, which is "Taube", and I doubt that biologically there is a difference, but I could be wrong of course. Please correct me then!

Actually, I just realised that the same goes with the Dutch language. Dove and Pidgeon both translate to ´duif´.
Imperfect is the new perfect
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby Niamh » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:55 pm

I must say I never really thought of that but now I read this it's kinda strange XD. Like Methica said it's the same meaning in Dutch. Could it be that it depends on the sentence which of the two words is used? For me dove sounds really logical as the religious symbol, while pidgeon sounds strange somehow
Ó lá go lá, mo thuras...

Niamh
Addicted to Moya

Postby Luned » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:29 pm

This pigeon/dove question is really interesting! In Polish both translate as 'gołąb'. I was curious about how those two function in English and checked a few places. It looks like it depends on the context - 'pigeon' is usually defined as a grey or white bird with short legs, common in cities/towns and woods, while 'dove' appears as a kind of pigeon, used as a religious symbol / symbol of peace. According to Merriam-Webster the two appear to be used interchangeably though :roll: This reminds me how I once tried to find out the difference between 'clover' and 'shamrock' :lol:
Luned
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:11 pm

You know, the more I think about it, the more I find it hard to understand how pidgeon and dove can be the same word :? To me they're two different species. Doves can be oramental, whereas in many cases pidgeons are seen as pests - the only exception I can think of being where pidgeons are kept for racing.

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Methica » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:16 pm

Doves and pidgeons/pigeons are the same kind of animal according to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbidae
Imperfect is the new perfect
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:33 pm

:lol: I really don't get it, I'm sorry. When I think of doves I think of gentleness, elegance - Dovecotes are quite common in big, elegant gardens and things as an ornament, some friends of mine have some. By contrast, my image of pidgeons is either of town-dwelling birds that make a lot of mess and get in the way (pests basically), or the country-dwelling wood pidgeon (they look slightly different and are a different variety) which make a very irritating noise and gorge themselves silly when they can - my parents have known them to eat so much that they can't take off. I just can't see them being the same bird :lol: Closely related of course..but the same? Nah, sorry :lol:

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Macha » Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:41 pm

Mh... I have to go to an information evening tomorrow and I REALLY don't like to go there. :roll: I hope it'll go fast that I can go home as soon as possible.
Another thing, that annoys me, happened today. One of my colleagues gave me a bag with some sweets from the bakery for some of my colleagues. In the afternoon my colleague, whose bag had been given to me, asked me, wether my friend did get her apple pie. I told him, I didn't know that I should have given it to her and that he should tell me it before the next time. Grrr! Although... Next time I don't want to do that again.
Macha
Addicted to Moya

Previous

Return to Fan space