Moya on NBC's Today Show

Discuss anything about Moya and her music

Moderator: All Moderators

Postby Anya » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:40 pm

I tried youtube again and it worked. It was awesome to hear Moya do Sally garden. It was short but sweet.
Anything is possible, if you believe.
Anya
Addicted to Moya

Postby Kate » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:04 am

It was a great interview and lovely song in a beautiful setting! Short but sweet. I think Al did a good job in the interview and it was nice to have the focus on Moya and Heart Strings. I noticed he seemed to really enjoy the short performance too. Even though it was short, I thought it was one of the better tv spots I have seen.

I'll have to watch it again to catch the "small Irish town of Donegal" bit Grania.

Thanks Moya and Cormac!
Kate
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Memory of Trees » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:00 pm

Lovley little interview, and a great job of performing on the part of Cormac and Moya. :)

Next time I would like to see Moya featurted a bit more. :roll:

And did anyone else notice that AL Roker said, "the small town of Donegal". :shock: I just felt like screaming, its Gweedore, not Donegal!
Moving to the Pagan Sound..... :)
Memory of Trees

Moya

Postby Calogero » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:22 am

I feel that many interviewers try to validate Moya by mentioning Enya, which is sad and unfortunate.

Still, it's how I heard of Maíre Brennan... even if I don't like Enya's music and her obscure style. Don't know what it really is, but don't feel comfortable at all with Enya's music... Is it because of her new age beliefs?

Calo <><
"Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life." (Proverbs 4:23)
Calogero

Postby Angoid » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:38 am

Can't believe I've just seen this! Yes, a great little interview snippet and as always doesn't Moya sound great singing Down By The Sally Gardens?

I first heard of Moya as "the lead singer of Clannad" and also at that time that she was a Christian. I'd heard of Enya much before Moya.

But yes, many interviewers seem to feel a need to 'justify' talking to Moya by putting in that she's Enya's sister and piggy-backing the whole thing off that. I also find that sad as the two singers are very different, have very diferent styles, and although you can often tell that they are sisters, you couldn't take a Moya song and get it performed by Enya or vice-versa.

And welcome to the forum, Calogero :)
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Re: Moya

Postby Ardens » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Calogero wrote:
I feel that many interviewers try to validate Moya by mentioning Enya, which is sad and unfortunate.

Still, it's how I heard of Maíre Brennan... even if I don't like Enya's music and her obscure style. Don't know what it really is, but don't feel comfortable at all with Enya's music... Is it because of her new age beliefs?

Calo <><

Considering what Enya says in interviews, she doesn't seem to believe in new age things, whatever they might be, at all. I'm also pretty sure that she doesn't perform witchcraft, even if her music videos and some music critics suggest that. :wink:

I don't really like comparing Enya with Moya either, because each of them has her own wonderful style and way of making music, but I must say that it is very challenging to explain music to someone without comparing it to music the person already knows. So I happens that I say something like:" Moya's music is a bit like Enya's but there are different instruments used, she has a band and she also performs live." That's not precise at all, but if I started to compare Moya with U2, the result would be even more confusing. :lol:
Ardens
Addicted to Moya

Postby gregoing » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:44 pm

As far as I know, Enya does not subscribe to any "new age beliefs." I once read online that she described herself as a "non-practicing Catholic," but sadly I can no longer find that article. Wikipedia now says she describes herself as a Roman Catholic Church member.

Remember that music genre titles do not always fit the music and are not always accurate categorizations. Our very own Moya's music is continually placed in the New Age category, and she has won one New Age Grammy (with Clannad) and has been nominated for many more. In interviews, Moya repeatedly says she doesn't necessarily care for the various "labels" put on her music, but has learned to live with it.
"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein
into our prize draw.
gregoing

Postby Ardens » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:46 pm

gregoing wrote:As far as I know, Enya does not subscribe to any "new age beliefs." I once read online that she described herself as a "non-practicing Catholic," but sadly I can no longer find that article. Wikipedia now says she describes herself as a Roman Catholic Church member.

Yes, Enya talked about being Catholic several times. This is from a 1997 magazine article:

"It's difficult when you've been brought up Catholic," Enya says, "to turn completely away from it. What I found in my 20s, was I got more involved with the spiritual side of it. I've been known to go to church when there's nobody else there. It's very therapeutic when it's quite empty. It's so hard in a moment of despair not to say a prayer. Instead of abandoning Catholicism, which is impossible to do, I kind of tried to turn it around and make it work for me. There is this calmness that is absolutely wonderful."
Ardens
Addicted to Moya

Postby dids » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:22 pm

Angoid wrote:But yes, many interviewers seem to feel a need to 'justify' talking to Moya by putting in that she's Enya's sister and piggy-backing the whole thing off that.

they do this to give an idea of who she is, probably... But as you said it would not help as their music are different...

It's some kind of thing that happens here, in France, when some ads about movies says "by the director of..." instead of putting the director's name... Excepted for Steven Spielberg, Brian de Palma, Martin Scorcese and Stanley Kubrick, of course! :mrgreen:
The real goal should be to permanently progress, to be better than yourself rather than being better than others (Albert Jacquard).
dids
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby dids » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:24 pm

gregoing wrote:
Remember that music genre titles do not always fit the music and are not always accurate categorizations. Our very own Moya's music is continually placed in the New Age category, and she has won one New Age Grammy (with Clannad) and has been nominated for many more. In interviews, Moya repeatedly says she doesn't necessarily care for the various "labels" put on her music, but has learned to live with it.

I would say that she plays... Brennan music... :mrgreen:
The real goal should be to permanently progress, to be better than yourself rather than being better than others (Albert Jacquard).
dids
Really Enthusiastic Member

Enya

Postby Calogero » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:47 am

I'm also pretty sure that she doesn't perform witchcraft, even if her music videos and some music critics suggest that. (about Enya)

That's why I'm asking as it's difficult to know from the media what Enya beliefs really are. Moya is clearer on her beliefs, no doubt that she's a Christian, but I still can't figure out who and what Enya does believe in...
There's always been a shadow on it and I don't know why. Her videos and the lyrics of her songs are to me evocative of ancient pagan beliefs, I don't know why. Maybe I'm wrong. The fact that she sometimes enters a Catholic church to find rest doesn't convince me of what she really believes in. And knowing that she said to be non-practicing catholic doesn't help neither, it's even more doubtful to me.

I'm not saying that she's into witchcraft, but I cannot explain myself why she took a stand to get away from her Catholic background. "it's difficult to get completely away of catholicism" --> what is that supposed to mean? why this need to switch from a Christian faith? what happened?

That's what I'd like to know about her.

Calo <><
"Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life." (Proverbs 4:23)
Calogero

Postby gregoing » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:13 am

That may very well be a question which will forever remain unanswered.
"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein
into our prize draw.
gregoing

Postby Turlough » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:25 pm

Maybe "Indie Celtic/World Folk Rock" would sum it up.
"We can be children of Paradise" Justin Hayward
Turlough
Addicted to Moya

Previous

Return to General