Perfect Time

Discuss anything about Moya and her music

Moderator: All Moderators

Postby Angoid » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:27 pm

Please, let's not go down this route! The religion issue can get very heated unnecessarily, and while many of us have religious beliefs which are iimportant to us, this may not be the case for others.

We know that Moya is a Christian, but we don't officially know what Enya's beliefs are. Enya keeps a lot of things to herself, and this results in a lot of speculation, much of which could well be wrong. Result: we end up arguing over something we don't even know anything concrete about!

Let's try and steer this topic back to Moya and her song / album Perfect Time. There is a thread elsewhere for discussing Enya, but this thread's not it :)
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Phantas » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:36 pm

Angoid wrote:Please, let's not go down this route! The religion issue can get very heated unnecessarily, and while many of us have religious beliefs which are iimportant to us, this may not be the case for others.

We know that Moya is a Christian, but we don't officially know what Enya's beliefs are. Enya keeps a lot of things to herself, and this results in a lot of speculation, much of which could well be wrong. Result: we end up arguing over something we don't even know anything concrete about!

Let's try and steer this topic back to Moya and her song / album Perfect Time. There is a thread elsewhere for discussing Enya, but this thread's not it :)

AFAIK Enya is or was a Catholic, but has never been a practising believer. Her music has influences of her beliefs (I.E. the beautiful Athair Ar Neamh) but I think, like everything else about her music, is that she is aware that many do not share her beliefs and she does not want her form of religion to stand in the way of the listener's listening experience. Her music takes you places, enhances dreams etc.

One thing I would like to correct is that, although she is seen by the media as a "new age" artist, she herself has never stated that she is and that she is simply Enya, and so likewise is her music. I can understand that the way she is being portrayed in the media affects the idea of her, but IMHO that should not interfere with, again, the listening experience.

As a non-believer (but having enough knowledge about it) I feel her music inspires me to write, to dream, to create. Moya's music is indeed very different but has quite the same effects on me.

I do not mean to say that you should listen to Enya's music Calogero, but I'm only stating that it might be good to leave preconceptions behind before engaging in ANY listening experience, whether Christian or non-Christian music is involved.

Again, I think you would enjoy the song Athair Ar Neamh, not only is it almost the only song (Pre- And Winter Came) in which she specifically points to a certain belief/religion, but it is a gorgeous song (in Gaelic).
I don't know how much of Enya's music catalog you know, but it really is worth a try. If only for the sister connection LOL! :D

And if it isn't your cup of tea in the end, then at least you can't say you haven't tried :P

Love,
Phantas
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby nessieq » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:14 pm

The 'new-age' label is something that has been long debated and seems to be a dead-end, unproductive conversation. As for enya's faith... as angus says, I doubt we'll ever know!

I think, however, that the debate about whether or not religious interpretations impinge upon enjoyment of music is an interesting one - and something Moya widely discusses in interviews. Personally, I think it is the mark of a true artist that her audience encompasses both Christians and non-Christians - it's truly remarkable, if you ask me... are there that many other artists who do the same thing, to the same extent? There tends to be a category of music labelled 'religious', with people like Libera or the Choirboys in it, and they stick largely to hymns, and also things like worship CDs. Whilst moya as dabelled in both, her music isn't anywhere near as easily defined, and is really unique in that sense... good on her!
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby Phantas » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:10 pm

nessieq wrote:The 'new-age' label is something that has been long debated and seems to be a dead-end, unproductive conversation. As for enya's faith... as angus says, I doubt we'll ever know!

I think, however, that the debate about whether or not religious interpretations impinge upon enjoyment of music is an interesting one - and something Moya widely discusses in interviews. Personally, I think it is the mark of a true artist that her audience encompasses both Christians and non-Christians - it's truly remarkable, if you ask me... are there that many other artists who do the same thing, to the same extent? There tends to be a category of music labelled 'religious', with people like Libera or the Choirboys in it, and they stick largely to hymns, and also things like worship CDs. Whilst moya as dabelled in both, her music isn't anywhere near as easily defined, and is really unique in that sense... good on her!

well, there's the label "Religious" and there's the label " Religious" ... I mean, Libera may be placed in it but there are two sides. Libera and one of my favourite bands, The Mediaeval Baebes both sing sacred hymns, or choral works. However, the two bands couldn't be further apart!

Libera is a boy choir and relates more to the religous aspect of the sacred hymns. The Mediaeval Baebes however, is a band consisting of six women who sing medieval texts set to music, oftimes Latin as well including songs about the Virgin Mary and such. Yet their music, at least in the beginning was considered Sacral and not religious. IMHO they still aren't but that's a whole different topic lol.

Moya fits into the Christan music scene, but I would not call her music religious. Her music is wide open, and indeed can encompass both Christians of every take and non-Christians. Her lyrics are open and can be viewed in more than one way. I think that is the power she has taken from Clannad onwards.

Clannad's not considered religious even though they share the singer ;) It's the album Perfect Time that put Moya in the Religious box but I think she is still far removed from what is generally called the cheesy Christian Music (you all know what I'm talking about for sure).

Not that I'm saying there's anything wrong with it if you're into that, but I know many aren't - I myself am not keen on it either. It's exactly because of that type of music that i didn't look into Perfect Time at first. I've come to appreciate art for what it is - not for a label which is attached to it. And I think that's the key to any artform - the viewer/listener must appreciate it otherwise the purpose of the art is lost to them.

Love,
Phantas
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:55 am

Just searching through the board, and I rediscovered this thread here:
http://forums.moyabrennan.com/viewtopic.php?t=77

where the whole issue of how Moya's music is categorised (or miscategorised, as the case may be) is discussed. It touches on the New Age issue, and how it seems to be a bit of a non-starter in many cases.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Previous

Return to General