Leo´s Tavern Anniversary 2009...!?

Have you been there? Are you going? Share your experience

Moderators: gregoing, mise, Grania, All Moderators

Leo´s Tavern Anniversary 2009...!?

Postby luis15 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:39 pm

Many of us missed the 2008 celebration. Any chance this year?...
luis15

Postby Dab051176 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:05 pm

Welcome to the forum! :D

Last year was the 40th anniversary of Leo's, and so a "milestone birthday" if you like. I stand to be corrected, but I don't think the anniversary is celebrated every year - at least not with a Clannad set, anyway! :wink:

I haven't heard anything about a celebration this year, but I could yet be proved wrong! If there is, I'll be over to Donegal like a shot! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keep an eye on the forum, as you never know. If not, the details of Moya's concerts in the US and Germany are in the "Moya Live" section if that's practical for you.
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Dubhy63 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:29 am

Dave is right,last year was a 'special' birthday ,this year's won't be as big.Never say never of course,but I believe that having these big parties every year will take away from the milestones. :)
* No man ever wore a scarf as warm as his daughter’s arm around his neck.*
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby Balor » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:40 am

I expect I'll put in an appearance at Leo's next Saturday (May 2) night. I don't expect to see any forumers there, but then they wouldn't recognize me and I wouldn't recognize them.

Hope the weather is fine.
Who in the valley shed the poison tear?
Balor
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Dubhy63 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:03 pm

I won't be there next week and have to wait till August,but I still would love some nice weather .On the other side ,it wouldn't be difficult to recognize me,I'm the person who drinks all the Guinness. :mrgreen:
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby Dab051176 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:09 pm

I'm considering going over in July to see Moya with the Inishowen choir at Letterkenny. If I do go, I might hire a car and go across to Gaoth Dobhair (& Leo's) from there.

I'm having to wait and see at the moment, because things at work aren't as straightforward as they might be - but here's hoping...... *crosses fingers*
Dave

Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Balor » Sat May 02, 2009 9:22 am

Well, here I am in Sligo, waiting for the bus to Bunbeg. Should be at Leo's tonight.
Balor
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Balor » Tue May 05, 2009 9:44 am

Was at Leo's Saturday night and met Leo. We shook hands, but he had other business to tend to, so we didn't do much except say "hello."

Was at Leo's last night. Yesterday was awful with lashing rain all day.

Now I'm in Derry.
Balor
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Memory of Trees » Tue May 05, 2009 7:48 pm

Balor wrote:Was at Leo's Saturday night and met Leo. We shook hands, but he had other business to tend to, so we didn't do much except say "hello."

Was at Leo's last night. Yesterday was awful with lashing rain all day.

Now I'm in Derry.

How was it like while you were at Leo's? Was it festive and fun (like it always is :) ).

And excuse my "ignorance", but how is the weather like in Donegal? I guess it is my fascintion with weather that makes me ask this question. :)
Moving to the Pagan Sound..... :)
Memory of Trees

Postby Balor » Wed May 06, 2009 1:40 pm

Hi MoT.

Festive and fun? Not really. The food is really good, but my advice is to stay away from the burgers - they are huge and should not be eaten unless you are planning a lot of hard work like digging peat all day.

The weather was wet and windy, really lashing rain.
Balor
Enthusiastic Member

Postby luis15 » Wed May 06, 2009 8:16 pm

I know it'd be better to celebrate the 50th anniversary. And also it would be better the 100th... but, life is sligth.
birthdays comes every year (just in case). why not Leo's?.

A cheap humble Celtic Spiral hangs in my neck always... and everyone knows what it means.
luis15

Postby Dab051176 » Wed May 06, 2009 9:22 pm

gsanchez wrote:I know it'd be better to celebrate the 50th anniversary. And also it would be better the 100th... but, life is sligth.
birthdays comes every year (just in case). why not Leo's?.

A cheap humble Celtic Spiral hangs in my neck always... and everyone knows what it means.

Don't get me wrong - I'd love it if it happens, but a party on that scale every year would probably be a bit much. On that basis, as Dubhy says, I wouldn't have thought this year's celebration (if there is one) will be as big as last year. If you haven't been, though, and you get chance to go, Leo's is well worth a visit anyway.

Oh, and if you haven't seen them, there are a few videos on YouTube from last year's party (typing Clannad Leo's Tavern in the search engine does the trick, usually). It's certainly the next best thing to being there.

Keep an eye on the forum, though, as you never know. We could yet be proved hopelessly wrong. For once, I hope I am!!! :mrgreen:
Dave

Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

anniversary 2009

Postby luis15 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:52 am

can anyone tell me the exact date of the anniversary?.

Maybe we should go to the tavern the following weekend.
luis15

Re: anniversary 2009

Postby Dab051176 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:40 pm

gsanchez wrote:can anyone tell me the exact date of the anniversary?.

Maybe we should go to the tavern the following weekend.

We've missed the actual anniversary of Leo's opening by a week! :wink: 16 July 1968.

Unfortunately, nothing was mentioned about a celebration when I was in there last weekend, so it looks as though we'll have to wait for another party! Even so, if you haven't been, and you're ever in Donegal, Leo's is well worth a visit, whatever is going on!
Dave

Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Re: anniversary 2009

Postby Dubhy63 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:57 pm

Dab051176 wrote: Even so, if you haven't been, and you're ever in Donegal, Leo's is well worth a visit, whatever is going on!

Dave,you're absolutely right,I've been in Leo's many times and could fill many pages with all the stories about the great nights.Another few chapters will be added from the end of next week,9 days in Donegal for me and my family :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Next

Return to Leos Tavern