Perfect Time

Discuss anything about Moya and her music

Moderator: All Moderators

Perfect Time

Postby Calogero » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:31 pm

That's how I got to hear Maíre Brennan's music for the very first time:when I first listened to "Perfect Time" more than 10 years ago.

Don't know much about Irish culture, music, am an Italian born and living in Belgium. Am Christian evangelical.

Didn't know she was Enya's sister, and didn't know anything about her Christian faith.

I had a listen to others albums, but my favorite is Perfect Time. I love that album. It's not only nice but it gives peace as you listen from a track to the other..

Am right now listening to her soundtrack "You're the one", in duet with Shane McGowan... Anybody's ever heard this song or seen the video?
Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHPMmRHauNE

BEAUTIFUL.

There's also another great duet of Maíre Brennan featuring Christian singer Jason Upton: "Peace has broken Eire.." One of the songs where Maíre gives us one of her best vocal performance.

God has really gifted with vocal talents some people that are walking on our earth... How will it be in heaven if they already sing so well here...? :wink:

One of those is Maíre, for sure.

God bless you everybody.

Calogero <><
"Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life." (Proverbs 4:23)
Calogero

Re: Perfect Time

Postby wonky_eggs » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:55 am

Welcome to the forum Calogero! :D

"Perfect Time" is indeed a lovely album of Moya's, one I haven't listened to for a long while, so you've reminded me I should dig it out and have a good listen.

I was surprised when this album was released as I was completely unaware of her renewed Christian beliefs. As a non-Christian myself I was wary about buying the album fearing it may be bland "happy-clappy" music that I'd previously heard under the genre of "Christian" music. However I was pleasantly surprised (I was quite new to Moya's solo work at the time) at how good the music was and how intelligent the lyrics were.

After hearing this album and the follow-up, "Whisper to the Wild Water", I was confident that I could enjoy the "New Irish Hymns" album she worked on. Although a very Christian album, and me having no Christian beliefs whatsoever it was still enjoyable to listen to.

Calogero wrote:There's also another great duet of Maíre Brennan featuring Christian singer Jason Upton: "Peace has broken Eire.." One of the songs where Maíre gives us one of her best vocal performance.

Do you mean "Peace has Broken Out", a duet with Booley? Or is this something I've not heard of? The Booley duet was featured on the "One" compilation several years ago, where did you hear it?

Barry :)
wonky_eggs

Postby kevinkells » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:13 pm

Hello Calogero and welcome to the forum! No I can't say I've heard the song " Your The One " or seen the video, but I enjoyed it very much!...and watching Shane sitting there with those sunglasses on, and that voice in contrast with Moya's was magic...loved it.

Were those other scenes in the video from a movie?
kevinkells
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Dab051176 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:40 pm

kevinkells wrote:Hello Calogero and welcome to the forum! No I can't say I've heard the song " Your The One " or seen the video, but I enjoyed it very much!...and watching Shane sitting there with those sunglasses on, and that voice in contrast with Moya's was magic...loved it.

Were those other scenes in the video from a movie?

Another welcome to the forum, Calogero - Hope you enjoy your time with us. :D

Yes, the clips were from a movie called "Circle of Friends", as far as I know. The song was definitely from the film soundtrack, so although I've never seen the film, it seems a fairly safe assumption! :mrgreen:

Hope that helps
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby gregoing » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:35 pm

Yes, welcome to the forum, Calogero! I hope you enjoy it here.

The others are right - Peace Has Broken Out is a duet Moya did with Booley (...and a song I love). So far Moya hasn't done a duet with Jason Upton, but wouldn't it be interesting if she were to?! I've seen each of them live on a number of occasions, although I must say I enjoy Moya's music much more.

Again, enjoy your stay here at the forum!

-Greg
"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein
into our prize draw.
gregoing

Postby Anya » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:55 pm

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad you discovered Moya's music and the forum. :D
Anything is possible, if you believe.
Anya
Addicted to Moya

Perfect time

Postby Calogero » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:34 pm

Thanks to everybody for your kind welcome!

I didn't know and didn't expect already 5 replies :shock:

Dear Barry,

A shame you had all these stereotyped thoughts on Christian music. Our faith is not about "happy-clappy" even though it gives us joy too, but often about exploring the dephts of life and its meaning. And many Christian artists I know are good at combining their God-given musical talents with this inner gift to talk about things that challenge our life a lot. Not only about romance and down-to-earth topics but also about why we're on this earth. I don't often find that capacity in the secular/commercial music industry.. (to my opinion).

I rarely listen to "happy-clappy" music. I don't know if you've ever heard of STREAMS, it's a Christian concept album about how we, as Christians, face the trials of this life that can sometimes lead us to a very dry and hopeless desert.. Everybody I know, wether Christians or non believers, liked this album. A shame it's not been released with major propaganda back in 1999:

This exceptional album contains duets and trios from very talented artists, among these: Maíre Brennan and Michael Mc Donald with their brilliant cover of "Don't give up". I advice everyone to have a listen to this CD. You won't regret it.

As for Moya's renewed Christian belief, here's what I know of her 'switch' to a more Christian genre:

Some assume Moya Brennan is relatively new to the Christian faith since she's only sung about her beliefs in the last ten years. In reality, she was raised a believer, but at the peak of her success with Irish super-group Clannad in the late '80s, she struggled with drugs and alcohol. It was only when she recommitted her life to Christ that things settled down, bringing peace into her heart. Today she wants to use her life experiences to encourage others, particularly those who find themselves in a place of addiction and uncertainty. (Christianity today)

However I was pleasantly surprised (I was quite new to Moya's solo work at the time) at how good the music was and how intelligent the lyrics were.

Every time I've been listening to artists that have recommitted their life to Christ, I've always been amazed and pleasantly surprised of the results.. :wink:

New Irish Hymns, I love it too. Great music.

After hearing this album and the follow-up, "Whisper to the Wild Water", I was confident that I could enjoy the "New Irish Hymns" album she worked on. Although a very Christian album, and me having no Christian beliefs whatsoever it was still enjoyable to listen to.

You've got that right for "Peace has broken out", I was mistaken, forgive me. It was a duet with Booley and not Upton :oops:

Take care of yourself and God bless,

Calo <><
"Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life." (Proverbs 4:23)
Calogero

Postby Angoid » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:47 am

Welcome, Calogero :) I think you're finding that this is a very friendly little community!

Perfect Time was my introduction to Moya as a solo artist, and this was followed by Whisper and it kind of took off from there :) The title track has always been one of my favourite Moya songs.

Our faith is not about "happy-clappy" even though it gives us joy too, but often about exploring the dephts of life and its meaning.

And I think Christian artists are, by and large, getting better at this. Although Moya is a Christian, not all her music falls into the stereotypical "Christian music" category.

Personally I like songs that have meaning as well as a good tune, harmonies, and rhythm. I was listening to something that someone in the church gave me yesterday and although there was some good stuff on it, in general I found it to be little more than a lot of noise.

You cannot say that about Moya's music :)
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Angoid

Postby Calogero » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:17 am

Thanks for you welcome, Angoid.

What you say about Moya and her music is true. There's too much "noise" around. I respect people who listen to more noisy stuff but still, I can't believe that it's music. :lol: It doesn't necessarily has to be celtic, but still, there must be sumfn able to make you feel good, at peace. I can easily listen to all genres, even rock, but when there's no intelligent and deep lyrics, I can't listen any longer. That's why I mainly listen to Christian artists, even though there are great secular artists too.

Indeed, I enjoy this forum. A shame I haven't had any chance yet to visit your wonderful Ireland. I've always been wondered by your country. I don't know why, maybe because the Irish people have populated America and many others countries during the emigration, just like Italians did.
Maybe due to your inner and strong passion for your identity..

My wife's already been to Ireland few years ago, but it was before we fell in love with each other :cry: She told me that your country is very special and like no other... I agree with her and still haven't put a feet on it! :D

Which church do you attend?

Calo <><
Calogero

Postby Angoid » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:37 am

Hi Calogero, not many of us actually live in Ireland, even though many of us have visited there, especially Donegal :)

I myself live in the UK, near a city called Nottingham (yes, Robin Hood territory!). I go to a small local Assemblies of God church.

Yes, Clannad is definitely not Christian and I enjoy their music very much. I also enjoy a lot of Enya's music, although I do understand your concerns there. Another Celtic group I like is Capercaillie - again not Christian.

If you like Christian Celtic music, then check out Eden's Bridge - you won't be disappointed!

But I'm getting a bit off topic here so I'll shut up and see what others have got to say :mrgreen:
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Hello

Postby Calogero » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:18 pm

Thanks Angoid,

I also attend a local Italian Assembly of God.

Have already been listening to Eden's Bridge.

Why you're saying that you understand my concerns on Enya's music. Do you know sumfn I should know of.??
Calogero

Postby Angoid » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:00 am

Why you're saying that you understand my concerns on Enya's music. Do you know sumfn I should know of.??

No .... you posted something elsewhere, and I was just resonating with that, is all :)
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Angoid

Postby Calogero » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:05 am

No .... you posted something elsewhere, and I was just resonating with that, is all

But still, I'm not yet fixed with it, I'd like to know, I'd really like to know. Don't want to listen to an artist I don't know nothing of... especially on the spiritual field. It's very important to me. I wouldn't like to have wrong ideas on her concern.

So if someone can clear this question out, please lemme know, thanks.

Here in Belgium, Enya has been called several times "la papesse du new age", which means female pope of new age.. Maybe it's a pure "music category" title, maybe it's sumfn else...
Calogero

Postby Methica » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:56 am

Personally, I don't really mind what religion my favourite artists are. To me it's the music I listen to, and if it so happens that their religion 'shines' through their music, so be it. To me it then expresses their love and passion towards religion, something that makes the music even better in my opinion.
And sometimes artists don't always share everything of their life with fans, Moya shares a lot with us, but I am sure there are things she keeps to herself and her family.
Enya is more private, something that creates a mystery, and I think it's that mystery that makes it so lovely to listen to her music. Certain sources say that Enya is Christian, but not practicing. I'll jut stick to that. I think we should just make peace with the fact that Enya is far more private than any other artist or 'celebrity'. As I said, it's part of her mystery.
Imperfect is the new perfect
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Methica

Postby Calogero » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:46 pm

Methica,

Well, it's up to you if your favorite artist's belief is not that important. To me it is, because music is a powerful vehicle to express a message. And behind a message, there can be lots of hidden thoughts and ideologies.
It's important to me. I feel at ease and comfortable with Moya's music because we share the same faith and hope. I don't feel at ease with Enya's music. Voilà..

Calo <><
Calogero

Next

Return to General