Who plays music around the forum ?

A forum for the exchange of musical, lyrical and creative ideas.

Moderators: nessieq, gregoing, All Moderators

Who plays music around the forum ?

Postby Cliona23 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:01 pm

Apologies if there is already a similar topic going on, I haven't seen it :)

I was wondering if there were many musicians on the forum ? and which instrument do you play ?

Or is there musicians in the making who want to learn an instrument ?

I'm only after starting to learn fiddle a little while ago,and my own playing gives me headaches :lol:
Come to the dark side...we have cookies...
Cliona23

Postby Grania » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:31 pm

I've been learning harp for more than three years now...and I'm seriously behind :( Really want to start lessons again!
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby cantilena91 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:38 am

My main instrument is the flute (lessons 1987-1997), but these days I play it as a hobby only. In addition to the flute, I'm self-learned in recorders (have 5 sizes of them), tinwhistles (have 6 sizes of them) and synthesizer, all of them is played as a hobby only though!

Suvi
"Your golden breath took darkness away, if I ask, You won't let me go..."
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Ar Gemenerez » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:06 am

I've been playing the harp for 8 years, and I started to learn violin in February !
It's really hard (I admire people who play well !), so when I'm desperate I'm happy to know that at least I can play nice tunes on the harp! :D
An(ne-)g(a)el(le) ou démon ? Ou alors un mél(ange) ?!
Ar Gemenerez
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Turlough » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:48 am

Mostly I play keyboards, but I can play some recorder, some guitar, some harp (both lever and cross-strung) and get clear notes from brasses (including some meant for decorations!).
"We can be children of Paradise" Justin Hayward
Turlough
Addicted to Moya

Postby dids » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:07 pm

I play piano and synths and I've recorded some music, and I also play keys and bass guitar in a local rock band...
But I consider myself as an absolute beginner in bass guitar and just a bit better in keyboards...
I have already tried to play Gone are the days by ear and I am happy to have found the main theme, trying now the break... :wink:
I also own all the published songbooks from Enya and play (badly, of course :wink: ) many of her songs.
There is also a bodhran in my intruments collection, but I have still not learned to play it.
The real goal should be to permanently progress, to be better than yourself rather than being better than others (Albert Jacquard).
dids

Postby Cliona23 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:22 pm

wow, there's a lot of musicians around,we could form a band :) I also really want to learn bodhran,but I don't own one yet.

recorders are a bit like whistles aren't they cantilena ? I'd be interested to hear what they sound.I do a bit of whistle as well, but I only have your basic generation D whistle,what kind of whistle do you own ?

how come you'e stopped taking lessons, Grania ?
Cliona23

Postby cantilena91 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:59 am

Recorders are far too often associated with "force playing" at school, you know that "Hot Cross Buns" 3-tone syndrome!! Obviously plastic recorders can be quite squeaky if not played correctly, but if you listen to the music by real recorder virtuosi who mainly use wooden instruments, it is much more ear-pleasant indeed! I just wanted to self-learn some more after discovering some real recorder virtuosos such as Pamela Thorby, Dan Laurin, Michala Petri and the like, so at the moment I have got 2 wooden ones (soprano & alto, both Yamaha maplewood) and 5 plastic Yamahas (sopranino, soprano, alto, tenor and bass). I just can't afford those wooden tenor and bass ones, they are too pricey for me who only play these as a hobby! I think you can find some audio clips from the web about real recorder playing if you do e.g. a Google search with those people names I listed.

As for tinwhistles, I have 6 sizes of them, all by Generation (Bb, C, the most common D, Eb, F and G) and all of them are nickel ones. I have also the brass D one, but that does not sound as good as the nickel ones.

Suvi
"Your golden breath took darkness away, if I ask, You won't let me go..."
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:39 pm

Cliona23 wrote:

Well, hopefully I haven't quite. First of all I went to University which meant I couldn't have my weekly lessons, but I'd been hoping to during my holidays, but my teacher also had a baby in October, so she's been rather tied up! The one time we attempted a session, baby didn't appreciate it :lol: He lay on the floor blowing raspberries at us until we gave up :roll:
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Jim » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:04 pm

Both a musician and a writer here. :wink:

Here is a link to my site on MacJams:

http://www.macjams.com/artist/Ren-Tin-10

Here's another MacJammer I'm sure most of you would like:

http://www.macjams.com/artist/Rebsie

Don't have any writings online yet. I need to get some out there. :roll:
http://ezfolk.com/audio/bands/894/index.php

Dieu de service, et Dieu seulement.
Jim

Postby Cliona23 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:22 pm

cantilena91 wrote:Recorders are far too often associated with "force playing" at school, you know that "Hot Cross Buns" 3-tone syndrome!! Obviously plastic recorders can be quite squeaky if not played correctly, but if you listen to the music by real recorder virtuosi who mainly use wooden instruments, it is much more ear-pleasant indeed! I just wanted to self-learn some more after discovering some real recorder virtuosos such as Pamela Thorby, Dan Laurin, Michala Petri and the like, so at the moment I have got 2 wooden ones (soprano & alto, both Yamaha maplewood) and 5 plastic Yamahas (sopranino, soprano, alto, tenor and bass). I just can't afford those wooden tenor and bass ones, they are too pricey for me who only play these as a hobby! I think you can find some audio clips from the web about real recorder playing if you do e.g. a Google search with those people names I listed.

As for tinwhistles, I have 6 sizes of them, all by Generation (Bb, C, the most common D, Eb, F and G) and all of them are nickel ones. I have also the brass D one, but that does not sound as good as the nickel ones.

Suvi

Ooooh of course I did have a plastic recorder when I was little, at school!didn't know the English word for it :D I'd like t her how it sounds played by an expert!

oh that's infortunate for you Grania :lol: hopefully you can get more lesson when baby grows up :lol:

Thanks for the links Jim :) your music is very interesting,I like it :)

As for myslef I am getting a tiny bit better at my fiddle...doing loads of practicing!Although I'm still not used to play in front of people so I'm never as good when the teacher is there as I am when I'm on my own :roll: it's annoying!
Cliona23

Postby Steph » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:10 pm

hi, i am a new member, so sorry for not being here before.... i am studying violin, i sing and play guitar already, and i also like to compose my own songs, i would like to become a singer soon, but i would like to write a few songs in gaelige, the problem is that i don't speak it. So i am here trying to learn more from Moya and other musicians i found here :)

:) mhaith liom ceol :)
Steph

Postby Steph » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:17 pm

Cliona23 wrote:wow, there's a lot of musicians around,we could form a band :) I also really want to learn bodhran,but I don't own one yet.

recorders are a bit like whistles aren't they cantilena ? I'd be interested to hear what they sound.I do a bit of whistle as well, but I only have your basic generation D whistle,what kind of whistle do you own ?

I also have a bodhran, but a small one and it is almost impossible to play it.... i wish i could own a bigger one because i know a few techniques but i can't apply them in my leprechaun drum

Steph

Postby Angoid » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:41 am

Welcome on board, Steph!

I'm self-taught on the guitar, and use it at church in the worship band.
At one time, I did take up the tenor recorder but the music teacher disappeared on me (music teachers seem to have a way of doing that to me).

At school, I did take up the piano but there was no continuity of music teachers and I totally lost interest.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Steph » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:05 pm

Hi to all Moya's fans, i would like to know if there is any karaoke or instrumental version of Oiche chiuin, because at the end of the year i will sing it for a show here in Panama and i can't find any instrumental version :( i need help i really want to sing this song so many people is going to see the show and they will know who is Moya Brennan, here they luckily know Enya... any kind person who can help me please and thanks. This is a very cool site :)

Steph

Next

Return to Musicians and Writers