Do you love Ireland?

The world's a big place. There's lots going on. Let everyone else know about it.

Moderator: All Moderators

Postby the whistleplayer » Thu May 21, 2009 8:47 pm

O.K. then :)

I was a serious Ireland fan a few years ago and at some point decided that I wanted to go and live there. I chose one of the 'easiest' ways and became an au-pair. That wasn't very successful (I lasted two months) but I did get to know the 'real' Ireland, or the other side of Ireland as you could call it. I lived in Limerick. Not my favourite part of the country.
After that, I went back to Ireland for a few holidays, in Donegal, especially Gweedore, and there I finally found what I had been looking for. I learned a little Irish there, developed a bit of an Irish accent (which I still have apparently, even though I hear Lancashire, Liverpool and London accents every day now ;) ) , got involved in Céili dancing and got to know a few locals. Every time I went back to Donegal, it still felt a bit like home. I don't know why, can't explain it. Maybe because of the music, the space and the slower pace of living.
I've not been there for a couple of years, but I would love to go back again. Maybe for a surf trip :)
I have no hobbies, only obsessions... :mrgreen:
the whistleplayer
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Balor » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:10 am

My latest trip to Ireland was a revelation for me. There is much to love and admire about Ireland, but it is a place like any other. It made me realize there is much to love and admire about my home as well. Not the whole USA, mind you, but the region of Cascadia.

I tried not to stick out as a tourist and went to places tourists usually don't go to. Travelled on my own rather than in a pack of other Yanks, so people didn't really pick up right away where I was from. It was interesting to see every day life that way.

Yes, there were negatives, but these were easily enough turned into memorable experiences. Like the gal in the pub in Galway who wanted to give me a hard time. Of course she was drunk, but I got a laugh out of others present when she demanded to know if I had in relatives in Ireland. I said no, but my great-great grandmother came from Ballydung. She didn't get it.
Who in the valley shed the poison tear?
Balor
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Dubhy63 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:56 am

Balor,did your great-great grandmother live in Ballydung Manor ? :mrgreen:
* No man ever wore a scarf as warm as his daughter’s arm around his neck.*
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:18 pm

:lol: Nice one :lol:
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Balor » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:47 am

Duphy63:

I come from a long line of plastic people. The O'Leprosy's live in Ballydung Manor - always have. My great-great grandmother lived in the servants quarters.
Who in the valley shed the poison tear?
Balor
Enthusiastic Member

Postby dids » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:43 pm

I'd like to visit Ireland, but after having seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk6ThuvDDd4&feature=related

I think I will take more time of reflection... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The real goal should be to permanently progress, to be better than yourself rather than being better than others (Albert Jacquard).
dids

Postby kevinkells » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:19 am

Oh dids! :( :mrgreen:
kevinkells

Postby Methica » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:59 pm

I laughed the entire time watching that clip! Hilarious! 8) :lol:
Imperfect is the new perfect
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Ireland

Postby Calogero » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:48 am

I'm an anthropology student doing a small research project on people who admire other cultures than their own and who long to be part of that other culture.

I love Ireland, but not to the point to forget my own culture and identity. I don't understand those who wanna be part of another culture and not theirs anymore.. :?:

Maybe because I'm an Italian, and proud to be. I don't think an Italian could have reasons to envy Ireland's culture and history as Italy is the heart of Europe's history and civilisation. :mrgreen:

But compared to some countries, it's true that Ireland is a very special place with a rich historical heritage. No doubt about it. :wink:

Calo <><
"Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life." (Proverbs 4:23)
Calogero

Previous

Return to Rattle Bag