Moya Brennan Honored by Irish General Consul

Memories of shows, dreams of shows to come

Moderators: wonky_eggs, nessieq, mise, Grania, Banba Óir, All Moderators

Moya Brennan Honored by Irish General Consul

Postby gregoing » Sat May 23, 2009 10:49 pm

Hi, everybody. I was surprised and delighted some time back to have received an email from Moya's husband Tim, inviting me to a party/reception held in Moya's honor by the Irish General Consul. The reception was to take place on Tuesday, 19 May, from 7-9pm. I thought this well worth the drive from my home in Syracuse, NY to midtown Manhattan, where the reception was to take place.

When I got out of the shower to attend the event, I was disappointed to discover I had forgotten to pack something very important along with the rest of my things: my suit! Thankfully, my dress socks, shoes, shirt and tie were packed separately, and I had a pair of black jeans which looked nice enough. A friend in NYC let me borrow his suit jacket.

My guest and I arrived at the event shortly after 7pm. The reception was actually held at the the beautiful residence of Mr. Niall Burgess, the Irish Consul General of New York. The residence includes a large rooftop veranda which offers stunning views of Manhattan, as well as Brooklyn, Queens and New Jersey.

Light hors d'œuvre were served, including bite-sized quiche, and smoked salmon on a bread homemade by the Consul General's wife herself, Mrs. Marie Burgess. An open bar was also available. (My selection? Coca-Cola, on the rocks!)

Of course, my guest and I enjoyed lovely socializing. Congratulations to Fionán, and his new bride Shannon, for being married only two short weeks before this event! Fionán is a great guy, and his wife Shannon is such a wonderful lady. Good luck to them! Fionán and Shannon met near Philadelphia some time ago, when they were both playing the same music festival with separate bands. Currently they live in the Philly area, where they perform together in a band (whose name I unfortunately do not know). Ashley Davis was also there, but she was getting over a sickness (bronchitis, I believe she said) and was sadly unable to perform.

Twice, however, Moya and the band (Cormac, Fionán and Shannon) interrupted the festivities with two song sets, the first set being three songs, and the second consisting of four songs. Harry's Game, Mhorag's Na Horo Gheallaidh, I Will Find You, Alasdair Mac Colla, and even a most lovely rendition of Danny Boy were among the songs played. Of course the music was inherently beautiful, but the atmosphere was enhanced all the more by the warm company and the gorgeous views of the sun setting on Manhattan, a cool breeze blowing slightly through the open veranda door.

As the reception was slowing down, Tim assured me he is still in negotiations to have Heart Strings released stateside, although I was blessed to have been given a copy of the Irish release, which includes a gorgeous slipcover. When I told him I sadly wouldn't be able to attend any of the concerts this time around, he told me there is a possibility Moya maaaay be back in the U.S. once again before the end of the year. (Sorry, Tim - I hope you don't mind me sharing that. You're under no pressure!)

Altogether, the night was incredible, and I was absolutely honored to have been invited to come, and blessed to have been able to go. Don't worry; some pictures are coming!

-Greg
"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein
into our prize draw.
gregoing

Postby Ardens » Sun May 24, 2009 7:34 am

It must have been a wonderful evening! It's very nice that you got an invitation there! I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures! :D
Ardens
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Sun May 24, 2009 10:13 am

:lol: Glad to know people know how to appreciate Moya! Thanks for sharing that with us Greg
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby wonky_eggs » Sun May 24, 2009 10:42 am

Wow, thanks for sharing that, Greg. It sounds like you had a great night, and that was such a great treat from Moya & Tim.
wonky_eggs

Postby Hester » Sun May 24, 2009 12:52 pm

So cool! :D Thanks for sharing that Greg!
Love takes off the mask we fear we cannot live without an know we cannot live within - James Baldwin
Hester
Addicted to Moya

Postby cantilena91 » Sun May 24, 2009 3:17 pm

My heartfelt thanks for sharing this precious and heart-warming story with us, Greg!! I'm beyond words already...

Suvi
"Your golden breath took darkness away, if I ask, You won't let me go..."
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Dab051176 » Sun May 24, 2009 8:20 pm

Thanks for sharing, Greg! Oh, and congratulations to Moya for the recognition....of course!!!! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby sarahCat210 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:46 pm

Thanks for sharing your story with us Greg. That is so cool you were able to go. Sounds like you had a great time there. Looking forward to some pictures.
Congrats to Moya for the recognition. :D
sarahCat210
Addicted to Moya

Postby jpanarese » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:37 pm

Congratulations to Moya. And thank you for giving us a taste of the evening, Greg. It sounds like everyone enjoyed themselves.

John
That which we do in life echoes throughout eternity
jpanarese
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Memory of Trees » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:32 pm

Wow, that must have been an absolutly amazing experience! And of course, Congrats to Moya! :D
Moving to the Pagan Sound..... :)
Memory of Trees

Postby Sandy » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:30 am

You lucky duck!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D :D :D

I am SO looking forward to seeing some cool pics :mrgreen:

Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

And good for you Moya!!!! Image

Sandy Image
'When I am an old woman I shall wear purple' - Jenny Joseph

**I am not a has-been - I am a will-be**
Sandy
Addicted to Moya

Postby gregoing » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:15 am

Don't worry - I haven't forgotten to post pics; I'm just waiting to get them from my friend, and then they'll be up.
"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
-Albert Einstein
into our prize draw.
gregoing

Return to Moya live