Do you love Ireland?

The world's a big place. There's lots going on. Let everyone else know about it.

Moderator: All Moderators

Do you love Ireland?

Postby Aduncan » Thu May 07, 2009 6:50 pm

I'm an anthropology student doing a small research project on people who admire other cultures than their own and who long to be part of that other culture.
So I was thinking of examples and it struck me that I have met a number of people who are really into the 'Irish culture' (I live in the Netherlands), mainly due to music in the first place, but also because of the nature and history etc.

That's what eventually brought me to this Moya Brennan forum on my quest to find people who are intersted in Ireland and who somehow feel connected to the country.

So to start off I was wondering if there are people here who have a special fondness for Ireland? If so, I would love to hear about what it is that you love about the country and culture and if you feel like you are really irish at heart!
Aduncan

Postby Grania » Thu May 07, 2009 6:56 pm

:lol: I'm addicted to Ireland, I freely admit it :lol: (and there are many here who will confirm it for you!

Welcome to the forum! Do you also know Moya's music? Or are you here just because of us nutters :lol:
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby A_S » Thu May 07, 2009 7:31 pm

Yes, I'd fall into that category. I'm not Irish by descent but do have an interest in the place. A lot of it is the music, but the history and the folklore is also appealing. When I was in preschool I developed a fascination with Ireland because I was convinced that I would meet leprechauns if I went there. (Keep in mind that I was four at the time!) The landscape is also appealing. It's so barren, and the mountains are majestic... This influences the music and folklore and literature as well, though, so it is all interconnected.
I'd like to say that the in-your-face kelly green shamrocks part of Irish "culture" is less appealing, though. You really have to go back to the roots and inspect the language, music, and literature to get a true picture of Ireland. (And yes, I know that my views are idealized. That's part of the fun).

And I can indeed confirm that Grania is addicted. :lol:
A_S
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Methica » Fri May 08, 2009 10:14 am

I'll second that Grania is addicted... 8)

About myself... I think I've got a fondness for Ireland as well... I absolutly love the music, which is a big part of why I like the country.
Besides that I've always liked the culture and mythology of Ireland, it's great to dream away with...
Imperfect is the new perfect
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby mise » Fri May 08, 2009 4:43 pm

:D I just sent you a long private message with my take on the subject for once I was more than an addict...
Cherish all your happy moments: They make a fine cushion for old age
mise

Postby Dab051176 » Sat May 09, 2009 6:32 pm

Methica wrote:I'll second that Grania is addicted... 8)

And I'll third it *Ducks under flying objects coming from G*!!!! :mrgreen:

I wasn't addicted until last year - I went to Donegal, and I've been a hopeless addict ever since! :lol: I think it's at least in part down to the fact that it's so similar to home. Even though I'm English by birth, Wales is now definitely "home", and the similarity of the landscapes in Wales and Ireland help it to feel more welcoming somehow. I know I haven't explained it brilliantly, but I hope that makes at least some sense!

Of course, it helps that I live so close to Ireland (for example, I can be in Dublin in about 3 hours, including the ferry crossing), so it's an easy addiction to feed, too!
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Sat May 09, 2009 6:43 pm

:lol: *happily hurls cut peat at Dave, to keep in with the Irish theme*

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Niamh » Sun May 10, 2009 6:20 pm

I can't say I'm addicted, but I have been really interested in Ireland since the age of 12. When I first got to visit Ireland, even though that was only for three days, and only Dublin, I felt so happy and excited! That was somewhere in December 2009 and ever since I keep dreaming of returning. I also applied at an Irish university so I think you could say I'm fond of Ireland. Also because I wrote every possible paper I had to write in school whenever it was possible about something Ireland related and I keep watching various programs at tg4 XD.

As for what I like.. I'm not quite sure. I do love a lot of music that comes from Ireland, Moya is a good example and beside that I always liked the mythologie and all.
Ó lá go lá, mo thuras...

Niamh
Addicted to Moya

Re: Do you love Ireland?

Postby Ardens » Sun May 10, 2009 8:58 pm

Aduncan wrote:I'm an anthropology student doing a small research project on people who admire other cultures than their own and who long to be part of that other culture.
So I was thinking of examples and it struck me that I have met a number of people who are really into the 'Irish culture' (I live in the Netherlands), mainly due to music in the first place, but also because of the nature and history etc.

That's what eventually brought me to this Moya Brennan forum on my quest to find people who are intersted in Ireland and who somehow feel connected to the country.

So to start off I was wondering if there are people here who have a special fondness for Ireland? If so, I would love to hear about what it is that you love about the country and culture and if you feel like you are really irish at heart!

Your project seems to be very interesting! Anthropology is part of my studies as well and I read a text by Robert Foster just last week, which mentioned a concept of "imagined cosmopolitanism". I had to think of Ireland immediately! :lol:

I can imagine that the definition of Irish culture depends a lot on the point of view. As a German who has been to Ireland only 4 times, it is not easy to define Irish culture, especially since the connections to other countries are so strong that big parts of Irish culture are part of my own culture, anyway.
What I consider as most interesting about Ireland are things that I don't know from home. I like the unique and varied landscape, I like the Irish language, I like Irish bread and I like the music of many Irish artists. Especially in the language, I can find many interesting ways of looking at the world and of describing things. In a way, Ireland feels like an exotic place to me but at the same time it feels very much like a home.
Ardens
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Sun May 10, 2009 9:03 pm

Ardens wrote:In a way, Ireland feels like an exotic place to me but at the same time it feels very much like a home

That's it for me as well I think...I often feel that it feels more like home than home........ :lol: there's sense in there somewhere I promise!

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Dubhy63 » Sun May 10, 2009 10:02 pm

I love and I don't like Ireland.My love goes out to all the traditions like the music and the culture,but there are also some less positive factors that have to be taken into account.So much has changed over the last 10-15 years,a lot for the good,but also a good bit that could have been done in a different way.I won't go too much into details,this could fill many pages,but I'll give the Hill of Tara as example.A motorway had to be built,quite a few options were available and the worst possible was chosen of course.The area around Tara is beautiful,anyone who has been there can confirm this,but quite a few parts are getting destroyed in favour of the motorway.Similar situations can be found at other locations around the country,it's just one of the reasons to dislike Ireland.Love is stronger and changes can be found in this category when they are done well.
To come back to the traditions,my daughter has done her 1st Holy Communion yesterday,it was fantastic thanks to the fact that it was done without any frills.The latter can turn the day into a 'circus ', getting together with family and friends like it has been done for many years is much better than putting a big show on.
To make a long story short,give me the real Ireland and you'll see my love,give me the wrong changes and you'll see my face turning into thunder. :)
* No man ever wore a scarf as warm as his daughter’s arm around his neck.*
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby Susann » Mon May 11, 2009 9:06 am

I’m extremely addicted to Ireland :) :) :).

In 1993 I was there for the first time and I fell in love with this wonderful country. It captured my heart. And every time when I’m coming back the Irish piece of my heart is getting bigger and bigger. Up to now I have been in Ireland 14 or 15 times.

Often Irish people asked me why I love Ireland so much and sometimes they can’t understand it :o.
At first I love the landscape especially in the north and the west. I like the people – their humour. In Germany I wouldn’t like to go alone to pubs in small villages but in Ireland I prefer such pubs. And I’m very much inspired from the Irish culture and history. I have been three times to Newgrange, once to Knowth and twice to Skellig Michael. I'm deeply impressed by these historic teasures. Last year when I reached the ringfort Cathair Dhuin Irghuis in the Burren or the Kilclooney Dolmen in Donegal it was mystical. I stayed there for more than an hour – only me and Irish history :wink:. And then the amazing cliffs in Ireland – not only the heavily touristed Cliffs of Moher but also the North Mayo Cliffs and the cliffs in Donegal. And on Tory Island I have seen basking sharks and puffins :D. I could tell you so much ...

Every time when I fly to Ireland and see the Irish coast-line I could cry :D and also when I have to leave it :cry:. And when I come to Donegal and see Mount Errigal, Muckish Mountain and the Aghla Mountains I feel home.

Also this summer I will be in Ireland again for 33 days :D :D :D.
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. (Oscar Wilde)
Susann
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Grania » Wed May 13, 2009 12:07 pm

I'd like to meet Dubhy's comments. Much as I love Ireland, I would be ashamed to be blind to the negative points. Everywhere has negatives, that's inevitable. The case of Tara makes my blood boil, and I wish I was in a position to help the protests about it...and the more I learn about Tara the more I struggle to get my head around the mentality of the people are allowing it to happen. But I won't rant because we could be here for years.
It strikes me however as somehow siginificant that almost EXACTLY the same as is happening at Tara happened just down the road from where I'm sitting now a few years ago. The site is called St Catharine's Hill, near Winchester and it has many many similaries to Tara in terms of archaeology....and the fact that they built a motorway right alongside it, despite all the opporsition. So these traversities can and do happen everywhere.
In many respects, although I love Ireland, I do see a lot of failings (I say a lot, I don't mean that badly....I'm sure you know what I mean!!!). I often wonder if I could live there and maintain my feelings about it....and you know, I often think I couldn't, but I just don't know. There are many things I feel are on offer there (culture, music, history etc) which I love that aren't on offer here....and I think that's a seriously important factor.

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Dab051176 » Wed May 13, 2009 3:33 pm

Grania wrote:I often wonder if I could live there and maintain my feelings about it....and you know, I often think I couldn't, but I just don't know. There are many things I feel are on offer there (culture, music, history etc) which I love that aren't on offer here....and I think that's a seriously important factor.

I doubt very much you'd have exactly the same feelings as you do now if you lived over there. Inevitably, your point of view changes if you're in a situation on a daily basis.

I'm not suggesting for a second that you wouldn't still love it if you were there permanently, but "absence makes the heart grow fonder", as the saying goes - so maybe the fact that we're not there all the time stokes up our enthusiasm for the place!

Of course it would be naive to suggest there weren't negative aspects to Ireland, but when you're on holiday, escapism is what it's all about, and Ireland seems to provide that quite nicely!
:mrgreen:
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Aduncan » Sat May 16, 2009 12:59 pm

Thank you everyone! Your answers have been really intersting to read and will definitely help me loads with my research. I really wish I had more time to look into this topic and interview some people in depth about why they love Ireland (for example). But this is only a short project and your help will go a long way, perhaps I can return to this subject in the future and really delve much deeper :)

When I have made some more progress on my final paper I will let you all know!

Thanks again and by all means please continue replying :D
Aduncan

Next

Return to Rattle Bag