Moya and Pedal Harps

Discuss anything about Moya and her music

Moderator: All Moderators

Moya and Pedal Harps

Postby Grania » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:38 pm

:lol: Some of you will probably say to yourselves now 'oh what is she going on about', but hopefully not all of you :lol:

I was wondering, does anyone know which songs Moya plays a pedal harp in. I'm sure I've seen her in an interview with one a long while ago (is it the pastpresent video?) but I was just watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkxEFpJQY8I

Hourglass, on youtube, and (harpists, confirm this for me) it looks VERY like Moya is playing a pedal harp (small version, which I've seen quite a few of).

Now aside from being seriously impressed and not a little envious :lol: I'm VERY curious - does Moya often play a pedal harp????
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Turlough » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:35 pm

Oh, what is the Eastern English girl banging on about? :wink:

My real question is, where are the clues that it is a pedal harp? Is the neck really wide, to accommodate the pedal action? I didn't see that in the video. Or is it her posture, or is there a shot of her feet changing key? Should I view this more times?

Have you run this one by the HC forum too?
"We can be children of Paradise" Justin Hayward
Turlough
Addicted to Moya

Postby lilly » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:14 am

Hmm...hard for me to tell. They don't show enough of it. If it is a pedal harp, it is very small!
"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien
lilly
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:12 pm

I'm not certain, that's part of why I'm asking, but I've seen small pedal harps more than once in my teacher's ensemble sessions, and looking along at where the levers should be I couldn't personally see levers, but the set up looked very similar to that on a pedal harp. The pillar also looked a different shape - it's certainly not the same harp as is commonly seen with Moya in other Clannad videos

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Dab051176 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:50 pm

I'm far from an expert on the subject, but the harp in the Hourglass video looks too big to go on a table or stand to me (although the angle of the camera doesn't help you to decide), and it certainly looks quite a bit bigger than than the one Moya plays now.

Whether that automatically makes it pedal harp, I have no idea, but I thought I'd throw that into the mix for our resident harpists to argue over! :mrgreen:
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:24 pm

:lol: OK, G's got nothing better to do so she's going to argue her case.

I will admit, I'm no authority on pedal harps, and you're right, there's not a lot to go on here, but I'm just comparing these stills I've taken of the video:

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/G ... alharp.jpg

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/G ... lharp2.jpg

(thanks by the way to admin for posting this video, it's fantastic)

and I've compared the harp there with the harp that you usually see Moya playing in photos/videos of the period, which is here:

http://www.clannad.ie/gallery/gallery.html?id=0
And the real Brennan anoraks among you may have seen Moya with that harp in more recent videos too...I think it's in the background of her singing with Cormac and Sinead when Cormac interviewed her recently.

(I always knew that clannad.ie would come in useful for something)

I'd say it's definitely not the same harp, but also I don't seen any levers, do you? and the area where the levers should be is very very like pedal harps I've seen. Also in this one http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/G ... lharp2.jpg I'd say personally that Moya's playing it off the floor, so it's got to be bigger than her usual harp. I'm also sure I've seen pictures of Moya with pedal harps before (anyone with the pastpresent video verify that for me? I'm sure it was on there)

:lol: That's my detective work for the day :lol: forgive the slightly random way I've done it, it's been a long day. :roll:

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Turlough » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:45 am

Looks like you're right, G, that could be a pedal harp, or at least a transitional harp. Salvi makes one. How you found those frames is a total miracle to me.
"We can be children of Paradise" Justin Hayward
Turlough
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:55 pm

The stills? Did them myself :lol:

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby A_S » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:45 pm

I think it looks like a pedal harp. There are a couple of seconds where you can see the area where the levers would be on a lever harp, but here it looks like the little discs (which have a proper name that I don't know) of the pedal harp instead. The pillar does look different from most pedal harps, sort of like how the Renaissance style harps look. Except here this could just be a feature for looks. I vote that it's a pedal harp. 8)

And I had forgotten about that video! Thanks for reminding me!
A_S
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby maulwurfinchen » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:55 pm

I'm sure she plays a pedal harp once in a while, on the Pastpresent video there is da pedal harp when Clannad play together and from my experience I'd say that "Lady Marian" is much more comfortable to play on a pedal harp instead of a lever harp. At least I couldn't pull the levers fast enough!
maulwurfinchen

Postby Dab051176 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:29 pm

Grania wrote:: I'm also sure I've seen pictures of Moya with pedal harps before (anyone with the pastpresent video verify that for me? I'm sure it was on there)

Having indulged with the PastPresent video tonight, G, it's almost impossible to tell to this novice!!! Apart from the one in the Hourglass video, only other harp that they show is (I think), the one that's now in residence at Leo's! It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that I'm wrong, though.... :wink:
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Return to General