It is time, my friends...

Got a forum-game you'd like to play or a story you'd like to create or share? This is the place for it! Please do check to make sure we're not already playing the game you have in mind before starting a new thread for it.

Moderator: All Moderators

It is time, my friends...

Postby Grania » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:25 pm

...that we had another forum story! :lol:

These used to be something we had all the time, and we haven't had one for ages! Let's give it a try again.
For those who have never come across this unique artform :lol: I will explain. It's simple, I will post the introduction to a story, then someone can follow on with an entry, then someone else. Take it in whatever way you like - that's where the craic is! :lol:

So, let me see if I can still do this...

The sun was burning the mist off the hill of Tara, so that the moon was just faintly visible. As the view cleared, they came into view. They were something of a motley crew, all sizes and shapes and accents.
One of the group was sat on the wet grass with her chin on her knees, which were covered with a skirt about the colour of the rising sun. Around her shoulders was a black shawl with a pattern of roses on it. She was singing quietly
"I hear the sound..."
"G! Can't you at least start from the beginning?"

Off you go! :lol:
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Dab051176 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:46 pm

Said one of the others in the group, but nonetheless joined in.

The group took in the awesome view that was slowly unfolding from beneath the blanket of mist.

Somehow the song was taking on a whole new perspective now. It was amazing how different it felt when looking at the landscape that inspired it.

Now, with the weather improving, it was time for the group to explore......
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Dubhy63 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:57 pm

the area that surrounded the legendary hill.

No matter what,they were spoilt for choice,the remains of a time long gone made sure that boredom wouldn't be able to rear its ugly head.Rath Maeve was a good example of the fact that Tara belonged to a much wider complex of ritual and settlement sites.

Slowly they started to move but the normally easy walk didn't go to plan because ...
* No man ever wore a scarf as warm as his daughter’s arm around his neck.*
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:34 pm

Chris the sheep had been let loose all over the hill :mrgreen: :wink:

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby AndyPandy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:35 pm

Chris was feeling very unhappy as he had just heard about the terrible beast of tara, apprrently it has 6 noses so it can sniff ya out better, and instead of a mouth it has 4 arses.

After Chris had moved from craggy island he was hoping to live a long and relaxed life away from any kind of beast. Alas if the rumours were to be believed this would not be the case.... :(
Music is food for the soul.
AndyPandy
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:04 pm

In desperation, Chris turned to his old and trusted friends, the Moya Brennan Forummers :lol:

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Dubhy63 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:25 pm

Dubhy63 happened to be around as he was a regular visitor of Tara and the other historic sites in Meath.Feeling sorry for Chris ,he wanted to make sure that the terrible beast couldn't get its claws near the poor fella,but this proved to be easier said than done.

Just as he believed to have figured out what the 6 nosed creature was planning,a lot of smoke started to fill the area.Could this be a trick of the beast or was something else causing the trouble ? :?
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:45 am

The group wondered about that .... after all, it could have been that the beast had farted from all 4 arses at once, and then a spark from somewhere caused it to ignite ... talk about firing on all 4!

But then, surely it would scream out as the flame backfired into its aforementioned orifices. But there was no such scream.

Well, that could have been why there was all this smoke....
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Dubhy63 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:52 am

therefore Dubhy was still as surprised as the rest of the group,but there could possibly be some explanation for this inconvenience.A spark could have ignited one of the rubbish bins at the car park,but it was just a theory and had to be investigated by a brave member of the forum.

It happened to be ...
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:46 pm

...nothing as exotic as the aforementioned possible causes. It was merely smoke that had blown across from a nearby bonfire - totally controlled, not unexpected in the least, and thoroughly boring. Oh well.

But then suddenly there was music .... beautiful music, a lovely female voice accompanied by what sounded like a harp...
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Jim » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:31 am

Grania knew who it would be, for she had heard that very voice before, even though it had been a number of years ago. Warning the rest of the group to keep quiet, she sneaked up to a small rise in the land, where she could hide behind a tree.

All of the others followed Grania's lead except Chris, who decided to make a circle and approach the source of the music from the other side.

Peeking from behind a small mound, Chris saw what appeared to be a long brown-and-white wall. At least, he thought it was, until it moved.

"It's a tail!" Chris thought to himself, doing all he could to stifle a bleat.

A few minutes later, Grania and the others heard Chris running up behind them.

"Don't go up there!" said Chris, "I just saw the tail of the six-nosed, four-bummed creature!"

Grania began to laugh. "It's OK, Chris, I know who it is. Follow me."

As the group topped the hill, they could see that the lovely female voice they had heard was not coming from a human at all. It was coming from a huge dragon!

Nessie was overcome with emotion. "Tallulah!" she screamed, running toward the dragon, finally arriving, and laying her head against the dragon's massive flank. "I love you!"

"I love you, too, and I've missed all of you so much!" said the dragon, gently caressing Nessie with her wing.

"I didn't know you could sing like that," said Nessie.

"Well, I have a good teacher," said the dragon, nodding toward the lovely lady playing the harp.
http://ezfolk.com/audio/bands/894/index.php

Dieu de service, et Dieu seulement.
Jim
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Jim » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:31 pm

But before Tallulah could complete her introduction, there came a sound from deep in the woods.

It was the sound of six sneezes and four farts! :shock:

Convinced that this was the sound of the creature they had feared, the entire group clustered around Tallulah for protection.

There was a sound of small limbs breaking, then they could see something approaching.

A pair of horns!

The group clustered even more tightly around the dragon, shaking with terror. Then the creature emerged from the woods.

It was nothing more than a small orange-tabby cat wearing a Viking helmet.

"Jayz, you'd think I'd learn sooner or later never to eat chili with a bad cold!" said the cat.

"Goob! How have you been?" said Grania, turning to introduce her friend to the group, "This is the Gooble Funk, everybody."

"He's the one that I thought was so fearsome before I actually met him," said Nessie, "Makes me wonder just how bad the creature of six noses and four bums really is."

The Gooble Funk patted Grania on the back.

"You've gotta watch him, though," said Nessie, "He's not evil in the least, but he is quite a prankster."

As Grania turned away from the group, they all began to giggle.

"What?" said Grania.

"This," said Dubhy63, peeling a paper note that read "Kick Me" from Grania's back.
Last edited by Jim on Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim

Postby Grania » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:29 pm

Grania turned and glared hard at Goob....but she couldn't help laughing all the same. It was beginning to feel like the old gang were getting back together again.

But they still had a mystery to solve...who was the lady playing the harp? :shock:

(Jim, you're a genius :lol: you should come around here more often!)

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Jim » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:00 am

Yes, who was the lady playing the harp?

They knew for sure it wasn't Moya, since several of the group had left her behind in Dun Laoghaire to come here. The singing voice was quite similar, but the face was very dissimilar. It looked to them to be, you might say, ghostly.

A look of recognition came upon Jim's face, for he had seen that very face in old concert videos by Fairport Convention.

"Sandy Denny!" he said, partially aloud and partially under his breath, "I can't believe it! But you never played the harp before. Who taught you?"

"Him," said Sandy, pointing toward another ghostly figure that had appeared.

It was Turlough O'Carolan.

Jim

Postby Jim » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:07 pm

Added a few hyperlinks above. Enjoy! :mrgreen:

Slainte,
Jim

Jim