One thing I learnt today

Got a forum-game you'd like to play or a story you'd like to create or share? This is the place for it! Please do check to make sure we're not already playing the game you have in mind before starting a new thread for it.

Moderator: All Moderators

Postby Dubhy63 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:48 am

I learned today that all the recent trouble with my computer can be traced back to one file.It has been deleted and I have to do a clean installation of Vista.The good side of the story is that I still have XP. :D
* No man ever wore a scarf as warm as his daughter’s arm around his neck.*
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby Eternal_Silence » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:49 pm

I just figured out that the word 'august' doesn't only mean 'the 7th month of the year', but also 'elevated/grand/magnificent'. Dunno if that's something commonly known, but I kept reading it in sentences like e.g "he pulled with all of his august might" and I was like, what...? :P
The turn of the day, when all music fools come out to play until the drunk turn of night.
http://www.singingriver.deviantart.com
Eternal_Silence
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:01 am

Yes, 'August' means regal, royal, that sort of thing. The month name comes (I believe) from Augustus Caesar - how many emperors have got months named after them? Also, it's the eighth month - July is the seventh, being named after another Roman emperor (no prizes for guessing which one!).

On months, they've all got out of sequence anyway. September shold be the seventh month, right? It's thr ninth! Same with October - should be the eighth, but it's the tenth.

Something I learnt the other day is that the tune to What Shall We Do With A Drunken Sailor is based on the Irish tune, Oró Sé do Bheatha 'Bhaile. After I read that, I played both tunes in my head and the penny dropped! Aside from the metre of the songs, they're pretty much identical.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Eternal_Silence » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:33 pm

Ah, yes of course, I meant the 8th month :P.

I just learned today that the little creatures from the movie Princess Mononoke called 'Kodamas' are actually spirits of the old Japanese folklore believed to inhabit certain trees. Little tree-spirits, how cool =D.
I could have figured that out myself, but I always thought Hayao Miyazaki had made them up.
The turn of the day, when all music fools come out to play until the drunk turn of night.
Eternal_Silence
Addicted to Moya

Postby Killiney » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:17 pm

Angoid wrote:
Something I learnt the other day is that the tune to What Shall We Do With A Drunken Sailor is based on the Irish tune, Oró Sé do Bheatha 'Bhaile. After I read that, I played both tunes in my head and the penny dropped! Aside from the metre of the songs, they're pretty much identical.

OMG! Seriously?! Listens to Oró. Yeah, they are pretty much identical.
Behind the innocent,
the last, the least and the lost
will be found in the storm

Northern Skyline - a fansite for Clannad/Moya/Enya get the latest news as soon as we get it
Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Eternal_Silence » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:08 pm

I also found out something about 2 songs. I found out that the intro tune of the song Pest by Wumpscut is exactly the same of the intro of the song Mama by Genesis. Wumpscut's been stealing, I doubt that Genesis gave permission to use that tune =P.
Eternal_Silence
Addicted to Moya

Postby Eternal_Silence » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:47 pm

Today I learnt that there's liceblood in red M&M's, because it gives them a good red colour. o_O (My sister studies nutrituion...science or whatever you call it, and she told me, so it's not nonsense =P)
I will never eat one again. I wonder how you get blood out of a lice anyway...*imagines*.
Eternal_Silence
Addicted to Moya

Postby dids » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:06 pm

I personnaly don't think it's true... :roll:
The real goal should be to permanently progress, to be better than yourself rather than being better than others (Albert Jacquard).
dids
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Ardens » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:21 pm

Eternal_Silence wrote:Today I learnt that there's liceblood in red M&M's, because it gives them a good red colour. o_O (My sister studies nutrituion...science or whatever you call it, and she told me, so it's not nonsense =P)
I will never eat one again. I wonder how you get blood out of a lice anyway...*imagines*.

This could explain why M&Ms are so expensive. :lol:
I just try to imagine a louse-farm were billions of them are bred just to end as red colour on M&Ms. :D
Ardens
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:55 am

also found out something about 2 songs. I found out that the intro tune of the song Pest by Wumpscut is exactly the same of the intro of the song Mama by Genesis. Wumpscut's been stealing, I doubt that Genesis gave permission to use that tune =P.

They probably did, or they'd be facing legal action. I'm not sure how much of someone else's tune you can take before it's considered plagiarism, though. But I don't know .....

A number of pop songs use Pachelbel's Canon as their basis. I heard a song a couple of weeks or so ago that just kept going, "All together now ... all together now ... " (repeat ad nauseam) but it was basically another example of someone taking Pachelbel's highly versatile Canon and shoving another tune over the top..... :roll:
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Eternal_Silence » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:47 am

Ardens wrote:
Eternal_Silence wrote:Today I learnt that there's liceblood in red M&M's, because it gives them a good red colour. o_O (My sister studies nutrituion...science or whatever you call it, and she told me, so it's not nonsense =P)

This could explain why M&Ms are so expensive. :lol:
I just try to imagine a louse-farm were billions of them are bred just to end as red colour on M&Ms. :D

Heheh I got that sort of image in my head too :P.
And dids, I checked it again with my sister, because I thought their blood would be a little weird. It's not their blood used, but some acid called 'Cochinael' produced by cochineal insects (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochineal). According to my sister they're a type of louse. They do look like lice. Yugh =P.
Eternal_Silence
Addicted to Moya

Postby lizzy1e » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:11 pm

I learned that my Wacom Intuos 3 dislikes Windows Vista and I'm trying to make them friends with a new driver. I thought the tablet seemed a littel iffy on my laptop...

I also learned that not saying things because you're afraid of being a bother can do a lot more harm than saying them. Not first-hand today, but someone pointed it out and it made a lot of sense.
Image Amharc tríd na stoirmeacha.

http://lizzy1e.deviantart.com
lizzy1e
Addicted to Moya

Postby Killiney » Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:56 pm

dids wrote:I personnaly don't think it's true... :roll:

Usually, the red colour comes from cochineal beetles, hence 'cochineal' on the ingredients list :lol: see article and this article
Behind the innocent,
the last, the least and the lost
will be found in the storm

Northern Skyline - a fansite for Clannad/Moya/Enya get the latest news as soon as we get it
Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Spiritualized » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:59 pm

Some people think they're being clever by going over my head and speaking to one of my seniors; fortunately they were told the same thing I had by my seniors so it's good to have the last laugh :lol:
Spiritualized

Postby Dubhy63 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:18 am

I learned this morning that one has to be alert on April Fools Day.Determined not to get caught,I went straight for the opposite,it was probably to early in the morning :)
* No man ever wore a scarf as warm as his daughter’s arm around his neck.*
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

PreviousNext

Return to Games and Stories