Other Christmas Music

The world's a big place. There's lots going on. Let everyone else know about it.

Moderator: All Moderators

Other Christmas Music

Postby Roibeard Óg » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:48 pm

Apart from Moya's 'An Irish Christmas' what other music are you listening to in the run-up?

Although I'm not really into Christmas music at the minute, I found a 2005 CD up in the attick. It's a charity album called 'Christmas Songs From Nairobi'. A lot of well-known Irish musicians went over and recorded traditional Christmas songs and old Maasai songs in Kenya featuring a Kenyan choir and some soloists along with Irish multi-instrumentalists. I'm not sure if there are any samples online, but I'll have a look. It's really worth it. My favourite track at the minute is 'Ashe Naleng Maasai' (Maasai Thank You). It's just amazing! I'm not a big fan of the English songs on it, but the Kenyan songs are gorgeous!

http://www.concerngifts.org/product.php?sp_p=LL&sp_c=0

EDIT: sample of 'Ashe Naleng Maasai'
"Tús maith, leath na hoibre!"
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

Postby cantilena91 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:43 pm

Obviously the new Enya album, as well as the new album by Loreena McKennitt, though for some reason I prefer her earlier album "To Drive The Cold Winter Away". I have also bought a 3-CD box set "Pure Christmas" which contains all the "oldies goldies" (i.e. singers like Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, etc.) though I have yet to start listening to it. I'll save it for later though...

Suvi
"Your golden breath took darkness away, if I ask, You won't let me go..."
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Methica » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:00 pm

Obviously And Winter Came..., but also the Christmas Secrets EP and some other Enya Christmas songs... Next to that Wintersong from Sarah McLachlan, and some other random songs, such as Carol of the Bells from Emmy Rossum, some Christmas songs from Celtic Woman and some more songs... :P 8)
Imperfect is the new perfect
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby Luned » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:10 pm

I have to admit I still like to listen to some more uptempo Chrismasy songs on the radio once a year ;)

Oh, and have you heard the latest Christmas song from George Michael? And no, I really don't mean Last Christmas :mrgreen: It's called December Song and sounds really nice. I think it will take some time before it wears out.
Luned
Addicted to Moya

Postby Hester » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:20 pm

http://overtherhine.portmerch.com/store ... heyear.jpg

The cover says enough :mrgreen: A great alternative CD with gorgeous alternative Christmas music!
Love takes off the mask we fear we cannot live without an know we cannot live within - James Baldwin
Hester
Addicted to Moya

Postby Balor » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:17 am

Christmas always gives me the blues. Too much artificial cheer and merriment caused by alcohol. It is a still and quiet time of year in the natural world and I think people are afraid to embrace it. They fear the silence and try to fill it with their own noise.
Who in the valley shed the poison tear?
Balor
Enthusiastic Member

Postby wonky_eggs » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:32 am

Balor wrote:Christmas always gives me the blues. Too much artificial cheer and merriment caused by alcohol. It is a still and quiet time of year in the natural world and I think people are afraid to embrace it. They fear the silence and try to fill it with their own noise.

As long as the merry making doesn't go too far and no-one gets hurt then I'm happy for people to enjoy themselves, it's a dark and cold time of the year, and without a few parties everyone would be bleeding miserable - although I do find by the time February hits I REALLY need the weather to brighten up, so I think we should have this as another reason to party!

Before Christianity came to Northern Europe many of the Yuletide traditions Christmas has absorbed were celebrations of the winter solstice - the time when the moon had fatally wounded the old sun and changed its mind, resurrecting it for another year (sound familiar?) - meaning the days began to get longer, slowly the earth warmed again, the spring bulbs began to flower, the plants and trees began to break from their dormancy - life was beginning anew - hence the party.

So, indeed embrace the winter, embrace the cold and dark days, but have fun in the knowledge that despite all of this new life is just around the corner - so light the fires, crack open a bottle, bring out some nibbles and put 'Fairytale of New York' on the record player :wink:
wonky_eggs

Postby Niamh » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:26 pm

I'm not too crazy about christmas music, but I do like Enya's album a lot and Sarah McLachlan's :)
Ó lá go lá, mo thuras...

Niamh
Addicted to Moya

Postby Dubhy63 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:31 pm

My Christmas music can vary from the 3 Tenors to Fairytale of New York.I simply love a lot music,as long as it isn't too heavy on the ears ( house or heavy metal for example ) :)
* No man ever wore a scarf as warm as his daughter’s arm around his neck.*
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby Balor » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:49 am

by the time February hits I REALLY need the weather to brighten up, so I think we should have this as another reason to party!

So do I, wonky_eggs; which is why I celebrate the Feast of Brigit even though I'm not Catholic. It's the old pagan holiday to mark the midpoint between winter solstice and the spring equinox. By then winter starts to decline under the growing light.

It isn't a big commercial holiday, therefore I take refuge in it.
Who in the valley shed the poison tear?
Balor
Enthusiastic Member

Postby kevinkells » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:50 pm

At xmas I never tire of listening to "The Nutcracker ballet", by Tchaikovsky...the complete version.
kevinkells
Really Enthusiastic Member

Return to Rattle Bag