Annoying things

Your platform. Get to know each other (but don't forget about us!)

Moderator: All Moderators

Annoying things

Postby Eternal_Silence » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:29 pm

I think there used to be a topic like this before? Could be I'm wrong. I just thought it might be a nice little topic where you can tell about things that annoy you =P. In general or what particularly annoyed you today or whatever. Not things that make you unhappy, we have the Unhappy Hill for that ^^.

One thing that generally annoys me is: people whose native language is not English who put up a not very well done poshy English accent, so that their English might sound better o_O. This one particular girl in my year does that and whenever she says something in a lecture, I'm like pleeease stop that fake accent! It just annoys me, I can't really explain why. I sometimes speak poshy English too, but that's only for fun =P.
And the sound of mosquitoes. That's just horrible.
The turn of the day, when all music fools come out to play until the drunk turn of night.
http://www.singingriver.deviantart.com
Eternal_Silence
Addicted to Moya

Postby Cliona23 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:26 pm

I'll join you with the sound of mosquitoes :lol: really annoying especially when there's one in your bedroom at night and you can't get rid of it,and all night it goes bzzz bzzz...no matter how many times you curse at it and throw you arms in the air :lol:

And the commercial on TV,it's so annoying to have your program interrupted like,twelve times with always the same boring ads.

Oh,and my fake Irish accent.I don't mean it but I tend to imitate the way Irish people talk around me and they think it's sooo funny,every time I open my mouth everybody laughs at me these days :lol:
Come to the dark side...we have cookies...
Cliona23

Postby AndyPandy » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:12 pm

I had a phone call today from my internet provider, who shall remain nameless.

Basically they can also provide a land line phone and TV through the same cable as my internet but I choose not to have it ( I don't have a TV and I use my mobile phone ).

Anyway they gave me the whole sales talk about how great and cheap it was before telling me it would cost £30 for installation and the earliest time they could install it would be the 17th of December, to give me time to discuss it with my wife!! :P

Anyway, throughout this whole phone conversation they did not once ask if I actually wanted all this extra stuff ( I didn't ) and it took 3 attempts at telling two different people that I just didn't want it, I even told them I don't have a TV, so what use would the TV package be to me? :P

So today, my annoying thing is pushy sales people. I am stubborn so anyone trying to sell me anything is in for a surprise! I dug my heels in and said "Sorry but I just don't want any of this!!" after 15 minutes on the phone! They could have just asked in the first place. :P
Music is food for the soul.
AndyPandy
Addicted to Moya

Postby Methica » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:14 pm

Listening to a song, and really liking the song, but not knowing the title, nor the artists... :shock:
Imperfect is the new perfect
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby AndyPandy » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:17 pm

Hehe, there is a solution to that problem methica. Over here we have a mobile phone service called 'Shazam'

If you call 2580 and hold your phone up to the music it will text you back the artist and track name! :P
Music is food for the soul.
AndyPandy
Addicted to Moya

Postby Luned » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:48 pm

Methica wrote:Listening to a song, and really liking the song, but not knowing the title, nor the artists... :shock:

writing down some bits of lyrics and then googling them usually works for me in such cases ;) It is possible only with the languages you know, though.

As for Internet providers, here they always have some fantastic offers to attract new customers, in fact, much better than those for long-time customers, such as faster and cheaper connection, etc. :?
Luned
Addicted to Moya

Postby Eternal_Silence » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:54 pm

@ Andy, people like that are so annoying indeed =P. Then they call, you pick up, they ask whether you have time and you say 'well actually I don't' and still they ask you questions anyway =P. I try not to be rude to them, they're only doing their job as well. But sometimes I'm cranky and they're calling at the wrong time.
And Shazam? :P I wish sucha number existed over here.

And I have a neighbour who annoys me everytime I'm trying to sleep in. She thinks she can sing opera. One man once asked her if she has done the conservatorium and since then she sings even more! I seriously wonder if he really meant it though. It's horrible to listen to, really. Every morning she starts screaming around 8.30 (of course I'm not in my bed around that time every day), really loudly and very out of tune. Horrible! :P
The turn of the day, when all music fools come out to play until the drunk turn of night.
http://www.singingriver.deviantart.com
Eternal_Silence
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:06 pm

Talking of cold sales folk, I had one last week which annoyed me intensely. I don't know why I didn't do my usual (see a bit later).

This person (who, of course, spoke extremely broken Engrish) told me that someone in my family had had an accident and did I want to claim compensation?! :shock:

Well, if someone in my family did have an accident, I think the family would have contacted me first before some total stranger in India!

My usual is to tell them that they've got the wrong number. An interesting one I had a few weeks ago:

Cold caller: "Hello, can I speak to <name that was not me> please?"
Me: "Sorry, you've got the wrong number."
Cold caller: "Can I speak to the householder please?"
Me: "Sorry, you've got the wrong number" :P
Cold caller: "OK, sorry to trouble you!"

She must have felt like a right idiot after that exchange. Sometimes, I just tell them they've got the wrong number after they've asked for someone who does not live here, and hang up anyway.

Hmmmm, perhaps I should put some Moya Brennan on and hold the phone to the speaker until they hang up? :mrgreen:

Cold sales callers have obliterated words such as "No" and "I'm not interested" from their dictionaries. The only way they can be made to understand is to hang up.

Mozzies! Don't you just HATE it when you hear that BzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ! and you know it's landed somewhere in your ear, and is starting to feed off you :(

But one thing that annoys me is folk who cut me off mid-sentence to give their attention to someone else who has butted in. That's just downright rude. I usually make a snide remark when that happens, or just go elsewhere.

And also folk who cut you off mid-sentence and jump to a conclusion you're not going to arrive at, and then shoot you down for it :roll:
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Dab051176 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:42 am

I've just had the most ridiculous phone call with a certain Irish airline (name withheld!!!).

After speaking to someone who decides he can't help me, I get transferred into a queue - only to end up speaking to the same operator, who then keeps me on hold forever.... :shock:

When I finally get put through to the right person, I explain that I need help with my wheelchair onto the flight. "We may not be able to get a "bridge" to the aircraft, so you might need to climb some stairs, is that OK?", says the nice lady. "Erm....not really... it's not very practical for me", was my response.

"Can't you climb stairs, then?" she asked...... :roll: At this point, I had to restrain myself from unleashing a full torrent of sarcasm at her! :mrgreen:

Deep breath, Dave.... Moya will make the trip worthwhile!!! :wink: :lol:
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:17 pm

Some people really are a few pennies short aren't they? Ah well :lol:

One thing irritating me right now? This essay that I just CAN'T get up to a decent word count! Ideally I need another 99 words or a bit more - how frustrating is that??????? I managed to find another 200 from somewhere already this morning, but I don't think I can any more :? Ah well, it's just going to have to be a short essay I think.
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Luned » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:37 pm

Um... word count... yeah, I know what you mean, G. Well, I can understand the idea behind setting word limits, but then, isn't it sometimes more important to be to the point rather than to keep writing only to reach the number of words that is demanded? :?
Luned
Addicted to Moya

Postby Dab051176 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:52 pm

Grania wrote:Some people really are a few pennies short aren't they? Ah well :lol:

I think she was a full Euro short, to be honest!!!! :mrgreen:

Grania wrote: One thing irritating me right now? This essay that I just CAN'T get up to a decent word count! Ideally I need another 99 words or a bit more - how frustrating is that??????? I managed to find another 200 from somewhere already this morning, but I don't think I can any more :? Ah well, it's just going to have to be a short essay I think.

I can't promise your University will have the same policy, G, but on both my courses (with different Universities!), there was a kind of unwritten rule that, as long as you were no more than 10% above or below the specified word count, that was fine. If you're within those boundaries, I wouldn't worry too much. I used to have the same problem with my essays, but I still got through!
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:40 pm

Yeah, I think my uni has this policy, trouble is I can't figure out if I'm in a safe place :lol: the word limit is 2000-2500 words, and I've got 1916...so if you take it from 2000 I'm ok...if you take it from the other I'm way out :? :? :?

To be frank I've got a feeling it's a rubbish essay anyway, so there's not a lot I can do about it :lol: It is only the second uni essay I've written, I suppose I'll just have to take what I get. *sigh*

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Angoid » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:37 pm

I agree that it's content that counts and not word count .... it's horrible having to search for material just to increase your word count to get it to some arbitrary limit. I'm sure it's not rubbish though G :)

Some people really are a few pennies short aren't they? Ah well :lol:

Wellllll....
One sandwich short of a picnic
A brick short of a load
Not the brightest light in the harbour
Light's on, but nobody's at home
Not the sharpest tool in the shed
.... :mrgreen:
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Grania » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:19 pm

Excuse me while I have a grumble :lol:

I've just got back from our choir rehearsal and I'm feeling really cross. We've got a week or so before we do the carol concert in the university chapel and we just don't seem to be practicing enough. in an hour and a half this evening we did just 3 songs and one of those wasn't for the concert! Does that honestly seem sensible? To top it all though, one of the songs we're singing is the WORST song I think I've ever been forced to sing. Honestly it is so....there's no other word for it...nausiating that I could feel myself pulling a vaguely sickened face while I was singing it! And of course we had to go over and over and over the same, disgusting, bits didn't we? I would PAY not to have to sing that song!
The other song for the concert we rehearsed was the words of 'Away in a Manger' put to a totally different tune by our piano player. It's ok as a song, but the parts we have to sing (especiallly us, the altos) is evilly difficult, and the music and words are all hand written (dare I say scribbled) so it's barely possible to read it!

Sorry to rant, but I didn't want to go today anyway and now I just feel tired and stressed to the point that even Moya and Clannad aren't making me feel any better :(

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Next

Return to Fan space