Irish Spelling Rules

The world's a big place. There's lots going on. Let everyone else know about it.

Moderator: All Moderators

Have you ever heard the Irish Alphabet?

Yes!
47%
Not Sure! Might have!
7%
No!
47%

Total votes : 15

Postby nessieq » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:35 pm

i think moya say she's forgotten her language not because she has but because it sounds like that from the way she speaks. in interviews i've seen in irish, she always seems to be thinking more about what she's going to say, not about how she's going to say it. she thinks about the answers, not about the irish and i think it's a common mistake people make, albeit an unfortunate one.
that's just my opinion, though,i have no evidence.
nq.
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby Grania » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:11 pm

Could anyone do me a favour? I need a word in Irish and it's pronunciation and I can't find it anywhere.

The word is 'friend'

Thanks - Grania
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby the whistleplayer » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:55 pm

It's cara. If you write a letter, you usually start with 'A chara', which is something like 'dear...'
Pronunciation is easy: just as it is written (sort of).
I have no hobbies, only obsessions... :mrgreen:
the whistleplayer
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Grania » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:22 pm

Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby nessieq » Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:52 pm

hey there,
whilst we're on this subject, can i ask all roper irish speakers how you spell the word "fine"? i know how to say it, a long with a whole load of others, cause i got a tape teaching me loads of vocab, but i haven't a clue how you spell any of them. anywho, the word "fine" sounds really cool and i'd love to know the spelling out of interest..
thanks in advance,
nessa.
nessieq

Postby Lady Ryu » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:19 am

nessieq wrote:i think moya say she's forgotten her language not because she has but because it sounds like that from the way she speaks. in interviews i've seen in irish, she always seems to be thinking more about what she's going to say, not about how she's going to say it. she thinks about the answers, not about the irish and i think it's a common mistake people make, albeit an unfortunate one.
that's just my opinion, though,i have no evidence.
nq.

i can tell, that no-one is really forgetting his first language. but when i was for 2 years in geneva, i realized that i had difficulties with some words or speakings in german. i went nearly every weekend at home, i talked swissgerman to the other swissgermans, but still there were some words i wasn't used to anymore. we swissgermans had then a way to mix languages while talking to each other. phrases like "are you d'accord?" or "you have to got to the guichet quattre" just that the english part was in german.
so i think that is what's happening to anyone who talks and hears always a foreign language. you may forget some words but only for an instant. after you thought of it, you'll find it. and if you're some weeks back at home, all the words and so on will become naturally again.

@topic
how come then that you spell máire like moya? only with the alphabet i don't get that...
Matteo - always in my heart

Never ever I wished so much that heaven truly exists, and that you are waiting there for me.
Lady Ryu
Addicted to Moya

Postby nessieq » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:50 pm

hello there,
"maire2 is the irish spelling for a name which, phontecially is spelt "moya". the two names sound the same, but i think moya had some bother with mispronunciations as Gaelic isn't the most widely used language, so it was easier as "moya".
hope that helps!
nq.
nessieq

Postby Lady Ryu » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:09 pm

nessieq wrote:hello there,
"maire2 is the irish spelling for a name which, phontecially is spelt "moya". the two names sound the same, but i think moya had some bother with mispronunciations as Gaelic isn't the most widely used language, so it was easier as "moya".
hope that helps!
nq.

yes, i know this. my question actually was, why it was spelled like this. i mean i know the italian spelling rules. so i know why spaghetti is spelled as (in german writings) spagetti. but only with the gaelic alphabet i do not understand why máire is spelled as moya or why eithne is enya. which is/are the rules? is "áire" always "oya" or is there something else?

Never ever I wished so much that heaven truly exists, and that you are waiting there for me.
Lady Ryu
Addicted to Moya

Postby nessieq » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:13 pm

eeeerm, well i know that TH is silent in irish, hence eithnne becmes enya, but i don't know the rules as to why maire is moya.. i ahevn't got that far on my course yet! :oops: :D
sorry i acn't be of more help.
nq.
nessieq

Postby Lady Ryu » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:16 pm

no prob. when i have more time to spare i'll try out 1 of the links. maybe there i will find my answer.

by the way, i like your dress. great work!

Lady Ryu
Addicted to Moya

Postby Roibeard Óg » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:09 pm

I think that it's because she is in an English speaking area. Máire will neveer loose her Gaeilge. Maybe she will be a bit slow thinking of the word, but it's impossible to learn the language she spoke natively for over thirty years.
"Tús maith, leath na hoibre!"
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

Postby nessieq » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:27 pm

Lady Ryu wrote:no prob. when i have more time to spare i'll try out 1 of the links. maybe there i will find my answer.

by the way, i like your dress. great work!

Hope you find what you're looking for - but i'm sure some of the irish speaking forum members could help you more than i could. and thanks- i'm glad you like the dress!
nq.
nessieq

Postby Roibeard Óg » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:22 pm

hello there,
"maire" is the irish spelling for a name which, phontecially is spelt "moya". the two names sound the same, but i think moya had some bother with mispronunciations as Gaelic isn't the most widely used language, so it was easier as "moya".
hope that helps!
nq.

Máire and Moya sound the same only in Donegal. In the six Counties we pronounce it M-why-ra, in Dublin it's pronounced 'Moira'. It just depends on the area and dialect. There are many different pronouncetions of Máire.
"Tús maith, leath na hoibre!"
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

Postby Phantas » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:29 pm

Roibeard Óg wrote:
hello there,
"maire" is the irish spelling for a name which, phontecially is spelt "moya". the two names sound the same, but i think moya had some bother with mispronunciations as Gaelic isn't the most widely used language, so it was easier as "moya".
hope that helps!
nq.

Máire and Moya sound the same only in Donegal. In the six Counties we pronounce it M-why-ra, in Dublin it's pronounced 'Moira'. It just depends on the area and dialect. There are many different pronouncetions of Máire.

So infact the Scottish "Moira" is the same as the Dublin "Maire" (with or without the á???)

Does the 'á' make a difference for the pronounciation of any word, like for example Máire or Maire? I mean, I know Máire is now pronounced as Moya, but does that mean that Maire is just pronounced as Mary or something like that?

Love,
Phantas
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby Phantas » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:32 pm

nessieq wrote:eeeerm, well i know that TH is silent in irish, hence eithnne becmes enya, but i don't know the rules as to why maire is moya.. i ahevn't got that far on my course yet! :oops: :D
sorry i acn't be of more help.
nq.

Actually, if you want to get it exactly right, Eithne is then pronounced as Eine, or vocally Enûh...(ûh pronounced as in yup, hope this makes sense).
I guess the Irish write that ûh sound as an 'a'. ;)

yes, nitpicking again *slaps forehead*

Love,
Phantas
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

PreviousNext

Return to Rattle Bag