do you have to be musical to enjoy Moya's music?

Discuss anything about Moya and her music

Moderator: All Moderators

do you have to be musical to enjoy Moya's work?

yes
5%
no
85%
not sure
10%

Total votes : 41

Postby lothlorien » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:38 pm

I guess you don't have to be musical, like I'm so not musical and I LOVE moya's music, you don't have to play an insturment or something like that, it is just the feeling that music can give you (like Keiko said ;) ), and because of that feeling you like the music, but no need to be musical..
~*Ba Deas Fadó*~
lothlorien
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Wil » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:31 am

Yes indeed.......it has a lot to do with feelings.....
There's music for every state of mind............and music does influence your mood on that moment.....but.......mabey I get a little off-topic.....
if it's so........I'm sorry... :)
Music is my first love, and it will be my last.......
Wil
Enthusiastic Member

Postby irish at heart » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:59 pm

That is a definite no from me. I'm not musical, I don't play any instrument..however, I enjoy many artists. :)
irish at heart
Addicted to Moya

Postby Methica » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:02 pm

I myself, am musical, but don´t play an instument, can read the keys, but only which letter they are...LOL, can´t count them..:L
Imperfect is the new perfect
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby triona » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:58 pm

What an interesting question. I enjoyed reading people's responses. I don't know how I'd vote myself, yet.

I don't think one has to "know" anything in particular to respond to music. Music is so immediate; it can speak to your heart before you even know what's happening. On the other hand, I think that having some knowledge or interest in what you are listening to can help you appreciate it more. For example, I stepdance and I'm very fond of traditional fiddle and pipe music - jigs, reels, strathspeys. For me this is some of the most exciting music on the planet and I cannot sit still while a fiddler or piper is playing. Dancing to a musician "live" and impromptu is one of the greatest natural highs I know; I'll have a skip in my step for days afterward. :-) But some people who don't dance or think they can't dance or aren't as aware of where that music comes from can find it very repetitive, or even anxiety-inducing because of constant rhythmic drive. It's like they don't know how to respond to it and so it drives them a bit crazy :-) I know because I used to be in the category, too. However, once I "educated" myself through dancing, (and that involved acquiring some basic music knowledge of rhythm and tempo) I started listening and enjoying in a whole new way.

Is this relevant to Moya? to me it is, because although her music has as many contemporary influences as traditional Irish, I can still hear and appreciate the traditional influence. Knowing something of the traditional sounds and instruments actually helps me enjoy and appreciate her personalized, contemporary arrangements because they feel so creative and so "right." As an artist, she builds on solid ground. And I like the fact she's not afraid to throw in a fiddle or pipe dance into her songs every now and then. :-)

People will hear different things in Moya's music depending on where they are coming from. We all have an idea of what music "should" sound like whether we are aware of it or not. But I think what Moya does has so much creativity and quality, that wherever you come from, you can find something interesting in it.
triona

Previous

Return to General