How do you rate the music in "Robin of Sherwood?"

News, Nostalgia, etc.

Moderators: wonky_eggs, mise, Grania, Banba Óir, All Moderators

Clannad's best music
50%
Clannad's worst music
17%
It was just a paycheck for Clannad, so what?
33%

Total votes : 12

Postby Balor » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:21 am

What do you think?
Who in the valley shed the poison tear?
Balor
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Turlough » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:28 am

The ROS music was my introduction to Clannad. The Legend album does not stand well by itself, except for a few good tracks. As I have said before, "Now Is Here" is a good example of the angelic quality of Moya's voice, and how it can uplift the combination of the rest of the members singing. Withal, it is background music, and serves the purpose well.
"We can be children of Paradise" Justin Hayward
Turlough
Addicted to Moya

Postby Ardens » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:16 am

It's not my favourite album but there are some very good songs on it like "Lady Marian". I can imagine that the music is most interesting for people who know the series and feel reminded of certain scenes or characters.
Ardens
Addicted to Moya

Postby Phantas » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:00 am

Although it is one of my favourite albums, I have to agree that Legend, by itself, is a rather poor album. Nevertheless, with songs like Herne, Lady Marian, Now is Here and let's not forget the theme track Robin (The Hooded Man), what is there not to love?

Unfortunately, I think this poll has rather meager options, I think Legend is a great album and that the music for the tv series was well made. It's just not their best and also not their worst IMHO.

Love,
Phantas
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:33 pm

I don't fit into any of the Poll categories, but I think I may need to start ducking the flying tomatoes. Legend is my least favourite album of Clannad, I think that in comparison to their other work it is quite weak. I've not seen much of the series itself, but I wasn't all that impressed with that either :oops:

I'm proud that Clannad were used though! People should use them for television and film more often!
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby hermeyjdi » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:55 pm

I didn't choose an option as I don't fit in their either. I think Legend is a good album but not my favorite. My favorite song from the album is Robin (The Hooded Man). I have never seen the TV series. Maybe one of these days.
Jesus said to Peter, "feed my sheep not experiment on my rats" -C S Lewis
hermeyjdi
Addicted to Moya

Postby Luned » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:13 pm

I think the album works in a different way for those who have seen the series. I watched it when I was about six years old and to me that music has always been part of the mood of the series, so I'd say it's a good soundtrack :) I'm not particularly fond of the title track, but I really like "Herne".
Last edited by Luned on Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luned
Addicted to Moya

Postby Anya » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:22 pm

I like the music. It goes well with the theme of the series.
Anything is possible, if you believe.
Anya
Addicted to Moya

Postby nessieq » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:52 pm

hermeyjdi wrote:I didn't choose an option as I don't fit in their either.

Yeah I don't think my opinion fits in there (!) either... I don't think it was the best thing they ever wrote but I don't think it was bad at all either. In fact, it was quite a massive Landmark (hardy har) in their career- even in recent interviews and stage performances you hear them talking about it and how important it was. So whilst it isn't my favourite album, I definitely have a lot of respect for it.
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby the whistleplayer » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:42 pm

I wouldn't say it's their best album, but I like the way they experimented with sound. "Strange Land" is one of my favourite songs, I love the polyphonic sound to it. Actually, I think that as music for Robin of Sherwood, it works really well. It captures the atmosphere of the series, or possibly co-creates it.
Also, I remember reading or hearing somewhere (I think it was an interview with Máire) that Clannad were criticized when Legend came out for not singing in Irish. I thought that was a little strange, as Robin of Sherwood was made in England, so the Irish language would be out of place.
I have no hobbies, only obsessions... :mrgreen:
the whistleplayer
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Grania » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:16 pm

Yes, I do like the vocal performances on 'Strange Land' and I also like the upbeat nature of 'Ancient Forest', but 'Scarlet Inside' is one of my least favourite clannad songs
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Piotr Cú Chulainn » Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:20 pm

Legend is the most popular Clannad album in Poland. It's because of the film that was very popular in my country some time ago. This was my first Clannad album that I bought and remains one of my favourites. Actually I like all albums like most of us, I think :) This album is unique. It's not just an ordinary album. It's a journey that you take to another world. When you listen to the tunes It's like you were there, I mean in Sherwood.... I need to visit Sherwood and Nottingham some day.... And I hope to hear some beautiful missing tunes that didn't appear on the Legend album which e.g. you can hear on Clannad in Concert...
"Follow your dreams"
Piotr Cú Chulainn
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Phantas » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:43 pm

Oh my, Scarlet Inside IMHO is one of the strongest songs Clannad ever did! When I listen to it, I'm there, I'm inside the man's heart behind the cynical exterior. To be honest, Will Scarlet was one of my fav characters of the show because he was so 'real' ... opposed to Robin's mythical epic proportions. Will was the common man of them all, who had to witness and go through all the horrors of it.

That said, I also enjoy Strange Land, Ancient Forest (lovely to sing along) and almost every song on the album (hence it is one of my favourites), but my favourite track is Herne. That song captures the series for me, besides it being my favourite sequences (we don't see that much of Herne in the series unfortunately).

I never cared too much for the title track though I still believe it's a good track. Love the instrumental Lady Marian, Battles is a bit weird. They could have done more with that experimental piece of music. Just wish Moya would have been more included on the experimenting, but after reading her book I kinda understand she didn't feel a big part of the band apart from the vocals and the occasional harp playing.

Love,
Phantas
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby Dab051176 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:25 pm

"Legend" served as my introduction to Clannad's music, so I daren't be too harsh on it! :mrgreen:

There's some good stuff on it ("Lady Marian" stands out, but it's even better live!!! :wink: ), and some not so good stuff (not keen on "Battles", and I have to say I prefer "The Hunter" from PastPresent, to "Herne"). Having said that, I guess the same thing could be said of most albums....

OK, it's not Clannad's finest hour, but without it, I probably wouldn't be the "Moya/Clannad addict" I am now!!! :lol:
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Scienceman » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:04 pm

Its how i got to know Clannad when i was 6 years old. I still like the series a lot.

I was very surprised moya did strange land on her last tour. I hope she'll do it again in november. :)

Harm
Scienceman
Enthusiastic Member

Next

Return to Clannad