Save the planet, listen to Brennan music whilst driving!

Got a forum-game you'd like to play or a story you'd like to create or share? This is the place for it! Please do check to make sure we're not already playing the game you have in mind before starting a new thread for it.

Moderator: All Moderators

Does music affect your driving style?

Yes
47%
No
12%
No idea
41%
You nutter!
No votes

Total votes : 17

Save the planet, listen to Brennan music whilst driving!

Postby AndyPandy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:20 am

Whilst driving the other day, I noticed the fuel economy meter on my car giving different readings depending on what I listened to. We all know how music can affect your mood so I was intregued as to the effect different artists would have on driving style and consequently MPG readings.....

I think you can all see where this is going..... :wink:

So I put enya on the other morning on the way to work and I got 66.2mpg, then the next day I tried Orbital, same journey but I only got 60mpg....
(yes I am nuts before you ask!)

I shall keep updating this list with different results, would be interested to hear if other forum folk have experienced the same thing?

=================================

Artist MPG

enya 66.2
Orbital 60.0
Mr. Scruff 61.0
Last edited by AndyPandy on Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Music is food for the soul.
AndyPandy
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:24 pm

:lol: Very interesting topic Andy!

I think music does affect my driving style, but then again, maybe it's just that my mood affects my driving and my music depends on my mood....not sure. Unfortunately I don't have anything on my car to say what fuel consumption is, so I can't say :(
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Maya85 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:35 pm

Oops no driving licence here :oops: but I enjoy the ride more when the driver plays music close to my heart :)but sometimes it is very far from my taste.
Make my heart a better place
Maya85
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Methica » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:50 pm

I don't drive a car, I will next year... :P But I'm pretty sure music effects a persons driving style... ;)
Imperfect is the new perfect
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby Ardens » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:44 pm

I like concentrating on the music, so I rather take the bus instead of driving myself. I don't like driving, anyway.
Ardens
Addicted to Moya

Postby Eternal_Silence » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:06 pm

I have no idea if it affects my driving style. I don't have my licence yet, so I'm still learning and far too concentrated on the road to pay attention to the music, let alone pay attention to which music affects my driving :P. But I'm sure it has some effect. Could someone explain to me what MPG is though? (A)
The turn of the day, when all music fools come out to play until the drunk turn of night.
http://www.singingriver.deviantart.com
Eternal_Silence
Addicted to Moya

Postby dids » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:40 pm

I have to recognize that I listen a lot to Moya, Enya or Bridin while in car, so my driving is always calmed down... :wink:
The real goal should be to permanently progress, to be better than yourself rather than being better than others (Albert Jacquard).
dids
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Angoid » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:25 am

I have to say, I've got no idea!!!!! But there are other factors to consider, even assuming the same journey:

1. The speed at which you're driving - beyond about 60mph wind resistance becomes a real factor so high-speed motorway driving will be less efficient than being stuck on a main road behind someone doing 55mph that you cannot get round.

2. Traffic conditions. If there's a lot of traffic about so you're having to crawl for any length of time, that'll make a difference. Also, traffic lights. It may make a difference if every set turns red just as you get there!

3. Other electrical things switched on in the car. For instance, air conditioning takes a fuel economy hit and even having lights and radio on, etc. draw power from the battery which is replaced from the alternator, which is having to work slightly harder to recharge the battery - that extra power is coming from the fuel. But I'd expect that extra hit (all bar aircon) to be fairly minimal.

4. The wind. If you drive with a tailwind most of the way, you're going to get better economy than if you have a head wind. Or different strengths of wind each time you make the same journey.

But I think the music does affect one's overall mood while driving. I'm a bit more finnicky to what's playing when I'm driving, and music I can normally tolerate will be unbearable when driving, especially if in an unfamiliar area. For me, the music will usually be Moya, Clannad, Enya, worship, Christian celtic, and sometimes regular pop (especially if I'm with Thea).
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby irish at heart » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:56 am

I have no idea since I don't drive.
Follow the word
Follow the hope
Follow the dream..
irish at heart
Addicted to Moya

Postby Siobhan » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:20 pm

I don`t have my own license, but when I travel with my Dad, I see the difference in his driving, depending on the music.
And yes, he does have a Clannad CD in his car. :lol: But he goes really crazy while listening to Pink Floyd. The problem is, that`s his favourite band. ;)
And so - this is where I should be now
Days and nights falling by...
Siobhan
Addicted to Moya

Postby MáireRhiannon » Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:19 pm

Siobhan wrote:I don`t have my own license, but when I travel with my Dad, I see the difference in his driving, depending on the music.

i see the same thing with my mom, her driving is impacted somewhat by the music :D . my dad however doesn't listen to music in the car, :shock: he prefers talk radio stations.
MáireRhiannon
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Dab051176 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:46 pm

I think the music I listen to does affect my driving style, but as I have to drive up and down one of the largest main roads in Wales to get to most places from where I live, what music I listen to has to be turned up loud, just to be heard over assorted lorries, 4x4s, coaches etc.! :lol:

Must admit, I haven't worked out my fuel consumption, although my car does have a "gizmo" to do it without me having to do difficult maths..... :mrgreen:

Must Andy's theory out sometime!
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Killiney » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:34 pm

In all honesty, I don't listen to music while I drive, and I don't think I can get my helmet on with earphones in :lol: but when I'm with people who drive, the music they listen to affects their speed, but others generally drive at the same speed no matter what music.

Oh, by the way Marlies, MPG means 'miles per gallon', a gallon is approximately 4 and a half litres, or in the US, 4L

I think I should try Andy's theory, see if music does affect my driving :lol:
Behind the innocent,
the last, the least and the lost
will be found in the storm

Northern Skyline - a fansite for Clannad/Moya/Enya get the latest news as soon as we get it
Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Dubhy63 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:55 pm

I believe that music can affect one's driving,the major factor is the kind of music in my opinion. I live on a busy road and often see cars ' flying ' past my house with the volume of the music almost on maximum.On 9 out of 10 occasions it's house,techno or similar that can be heard,this seems to bring the drivers of these cars in the mood for some ( serious ) speeding.
Personally I play a wide variety of music while I'm driving (this doesns't include the genres mentioned above ),but always keep an eye on the speed. :)
* No man ever wore a scarf as warm as his daughter’s arm around his neck.*
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby lilly » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:01 am

Interesting! I have not been driving long, and I'm only allowed to drive with parents at this point, so I don't normally listen to music in the car since I'm still learning. But, I did notice that when I had a Loreena McKennitt CD on low in the background, it made me less stressed while driving. :)
"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien
lilly
Addicted to Moya

Next

Return to Games and Stories