Irish Spelling Rules

The world's a big place. There's lots going on. Let everyone else know about it.

Moderator: All Moderators

Have you ever heard the Irish Alphabet?

Yes!
47%
Not Sure! Might have!
7%
No!
47%

Total votes : 15

Irish Spelling Rules

Postby Roibeard Óg » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:00 am

A lot of members asked me to make a topic with the Irish Spelling Rules. Ok!

1st we'll start off with the alphabet. Is some places, even in Donegal the Irish Speakers don't use the Irish Alphabet. Note that the Irish don't use a few letters often and are not considered part of the Irish alphabet:
I've written the letter how it is pronounced in Irish in small writting.

A - a
Á - aa
B - bay
C - cay
D - day
E - ay
É - ay (twice as long as 'E')
F - if
G - ga-ee
H - hay-sh
I - ee
Í - ee (twice as long as 'I')
L - ill
M - im
N - in
O - o
Ó - o (twice as long as 'O')
P - pay
R - our
S - is
T - tay
U - oo
Ú - oo (twice as long as 'U')

The letters that are not used in everyday life if you were speaking in Irish are:

J - zyee
K - Kaa
Q - Koo
V - Vay
W - Way
X - ex
Y - Yay
Z - Zaid
"Tús maith, leath na hoibre!"
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

Postby mise » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:42 am

I appreciate your efforts Roibeart, but there are loads of forums that actually deal with learning Irish. If you have a wee look around with Google you'll be amazed what you can come up with. Maybe accurate translations of Irish songs as sung by Moya would be more appropriate? What do you say, can it inspire you?! :lol:
Cherish all your happy moments: They make a fine cushion for old age
mise

Postby Roibeard Óg » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:51 am

I've had a few comlpaints about this thread.
I hope ths helps (for all you that asked):
http://www.phrasebase.com/learn/irish.php

Soz :cry:
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

Postby lizzy1e » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:04 pm

Well, I'm strangly attempting to learn Gaelic... much to the amusement of those around me. But anyway, here's a tool that you all may find useful if you're interested in doing the same:

http://www.tldownload.com

It's a free program that you an use to build up your vocabulary in any of 13 languages, including Irish! All you need to do is sign up to download the main program (I suggest entering a web-based email address to avoid any spam they MAY send your way... I'm not sure) and then download and install the languages you wish to learn. It uses a flashcard type of system to teach you and so far I have learned animals, colours, days of the week, office items and vegetable names. Sadly it does not help with your pronounciation, but it is a big step towards learning Irish words.

Here's another great resource:

http://www.erinsweb.com/gae_index.html

Erin's web. I've gotten to lesson 4 so far and can now complain about the cold, ask if someone is here... or state that someone is here! :mrgreen: Lol, well, the lessons are good, and the pronounciation is written within brackets to help things along.

I know there are other sites that offer sound clips too, but sadly I can't really think of any right now.

Hope some of you find these useful...
lizzy1e
Addicted to Moya

Postby Roibeard Óg » Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:08 pm

Go Raibh Maith Agat, that would be a great help to me. I can speak Irish but it's my other languages!
Thanx, :D
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

Postby Phantas » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:56 pm

First and foremost, I have to say that the Irish Alphabet has MANY similarities in pronounciation to the Dutch Alphabet.

And I for one appreciate what Roibeard is trying to do - I am aware of the many sites out there but It's nice if people we know and meet often here can help us along the way....I applaud the idea!

Love,
Phantas
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby mise » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:08 pm

I wasn't complaining, far from it. I am devoted to the Irish language. It is just that this forum doesn't really seem like the right place for teaching. As I said there is already so many of those forums out on the net. Links I think are great though so maybe we can use this little corner to supply people with useful links??? :wink:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland/bl ... ndex.shtml (my personal favourite, with audiofiles!!!)
Cherish all your happy moments: They make a fine cushion for old age
mise

Postby AndyPandy » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:43 pm

I like that BBC one too mise, its very good at teaching from a beginner level (which is where I am!). At least if anyone asks if I speak gaelic while i'm over there I can reply: Giota Beag. :lol:

The music is quite jolly too! :mrgreen:
Music is food for the soul.
AndyPandy
Addicted to Moya

Postby Eternal_Silence » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:50 pm

Phantas wrote:First and foremost, I have to say that the Irish Alphabet has MANY similarities in pronounciation to the Dutch Alphabet.

And I for one appreciate what Roibeard is trying to do - I am aware of the many sites out there but It's nice if people we know and meet often here can help us along the way....I applaud the idea!

Love,
Phantas

I also noticed that :) ^^

And i also like the idea. No complains!

Marlies
The turn of the day, when all music fools come out to play until the drunk turn of night.
http://www.singingriver.deviantart.com
Eternal_Silence
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:24 pm

Anything anyone can provide on here is more than fine by me! I'll have to investigate those sites when I'm the only one around so I can do some out-loud pronunciating, and not drive anyone mad :D

I might also suggest using tape to learn. That's what I did over the summer, so I picked up a little. Only trouble is, it doesn't help with reading it - do these sites help you do that?

Slan - Grania
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Phantas » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:29 pm

just a thought...Wouldn't it be fun if you'd step up to Moya one day (at a signing or any kind of event) and spoke to her in Gaelic instead of English? Now that would be a laugh... :lol:

it would take me ages to get to a reasonable level...Oh and Mise, for the sake of it: I simply never take the time to learn from any of those sites. I like picking up bits and pieces from places like these (which does not mean I would like to join any other forum - I have enough that I don't visit regularly already :roll: )...that's my reasoning anyway.

I'm sure I'm one of the lonely ones in this :|

Love,
Phantas
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby Roibeard Óg » Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:46 pm

I did speak to her in Gaeilge though. She hasn't really forgotten much, and, people over-exargerate that she has lost it or forgotten it :)
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:01 pm

I wouldn't expect her to have!!

*Giggle* I read an interview with her somewhere on the internet, and she said that she still speaks to her family in Irish and (and here I quote as best I can remember from months back) 'you can have the best arguements in Irish'
:mrgreen: :lol: :roll: 8)
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Roibeard Óg » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:04 pm

lol...that's very true! I go to céilís and I always argue with someone in Irish, It's hilarious.
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

Postby lizzy1e » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:20 am

I don't think Moya would forget Irish just like that... my dad has been here for about 30 years and still phones home regularly speaking Faroese. He's never lost his accent and still throws a few Faroese words in when he speaks Afrikaans - very cute! :mrgreen: So I doubt a person can lose their first language...
lizzy1e
Addicted to Moya

Next

Return to Rattle Bag