Popups

About Moya's forum, for site-related issues. Please start your site-related issue as a new topic and one of us will come along and advise.

Moderator: All Moderators

Postby Turlough » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:54 pm

That one about an iminent hard drive failure looks a bit strange to me. How would that be detected?
Image
"We can be children of Paradise" Justin Hayward
User avatar
Turlough
Addicted to Moya
 
Posts: 1097
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:55 am
Location: The Cradle of Watches

Postby Killiney » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:00 pm

Turlough wrote:That one about an iminent hard drive failure looks a bit strange to me. How would that be detected?


I don't know...

Hmmmm. T, you've got me thinking now.

You know when you get an error when you've got a non-responsive program such as Internet explor and the like, it was like that, it just flashed up on the screen, filling it entirely with blue background and white text, and then went off in an instant while restarting the laptop.

I honestly don't know what its about

Thanks though
Behind the innocent,
the last, the least and the lost
will be found in the storm

Northern Skyline - a fansite for Clannad/Moya/Enya get the latest news as soon as we get it
User avatar
Killiney
Addicted to Moya
 
Posts: 1986
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:45 am
Location: Dover, England

Postby Killiney » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:37 pm

ARGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Dramatically throws laptop against wall*

:@P!"(%*&£"$

Not bleeping happy now.

Angus, Chris, do you know what this is about?

It wasn't the one about imminent hardrive failure, but the other one, and quite frankly, one is most certainly not amused.

Sorry, that was rather inappropriate
Behind the innocent,
the last, the least and the lost
will be found in the storm

Northern Skyline - a fansite for Clannad/Moya/Enya get the latest news as soon as we get it
User avatar
Killiney
Addicted to Moya
 
Posts: 1986
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:45 am
Location: Dover, England

Postby Angoid » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:24 am

OK, let's regroup and see what is really going on here ......

Killiney, the Enter key is either marked with the word 'Enter', or is that upside-down L-shaped key on your picture with the arrow formed by a short line going straight down, then at the bottom going off to the left, and ending in an arrowhead. On some computers, it'll have both. It's usually the equivalent to pressing a highlighted OK button, but in the command prompt you don't have an OK button; you have to use the keyboard for literally everything.

Do you have a more computer-literate friend who could visit you (or to whom you could give your laptop to to receive assistance for a few days) and follow these instructions? Having to describe the keys on the keyboard is extremely basic stuff, and the malicious software you have on board is requiring some very complex fix procedures to be followed.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not in the least unwilling to help, but my greatest fear is that you're going to inadvertently do something I don't ask for, with the result that your computer ends up even more damaged.

I think you've got what we call a 'rootkit' - that's something that works its way into the guts of your computer and then hides itself before doing anything else, to make its activities as undetectable as possible.

There's probably a tool to fix it, but given that you're having difficulty following the most basic of instructions (sorry, not trying to be rude), getting you to run some of them might be a very scary experience.

Let me know how you want to proceed......
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator
 
Posts: 3674
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: In the cave

Postby Killiney » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:12 am

Angoid wrote:OK, let's regroup and see what is really going on here ......

Killiney, the Enter key is either marked with the word 'Enter', or is that upside-down L-shaped key on your picture with the arrow formed by a short line going straight down, then at the bottom going off to the left, and ending in an arrowhead. On some computers, it'll have both. It's usually the equivalent to pressing a highlighted OK button, but in the command prompt you don't have an OK button; you have to use the keyboard for literally everything.

Do you have a more computer-literate friend who could visit you (or to whom you could give your laptop to to receive assistance for a few days) and follow these instructions? Having to describe the keys on the keyboard is extremely basic stuff, and the malicious software you have on board is requiring some very complex fix procedures to be followed.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not in the least unwilling to help, but my greatest fear is that you're going to inadvertently do something I don't ask for, with the result that your computer ends up even more damaged.

I think you've got what we call a 'rootkit' - that's something that works its way into the guts of your computer and then hides itself before doing anything else, to make its activities as undetectable as possible.

There's probably a tool to fix it, but given that you're having difficulty following the most basic of instructions (sorry, not trying to be rude), getting you to run some of them might be a very scary experience.

Let me know how you want to proceed......


Angus, I'm afraid I don't have someone who is more technically minded, which is rather unfortunate, as one might expect, but given clear instruction, I should be fine, it just takes me a while to get things right, hold on... I do know of someone who is more computer friendly, but I don't know how much tho, I'll try to find out.

But that thing with the hard drive failure seems to have stopped, and I know this is common knowledge, but you need stuff to protect your computer, and I frequently nagged my dad to get me an antivirus software thingy from PC world and the like, but he said its all in the router, its not, you need it on the computer, I'm sure you know that... :oops:

But, the biggest problem I have is that I need the computer every day, I'm sure you don't believe that, but I have loads of assignments to do for college, and this is a Diploma course, so I need a load of stuff I've so far only been able to find online, and the facilities at college are rather crap to be perfectly honest, and the library shuts early, so I only get like an hour on monday and wednesday after I finish college, then on Friday, the library shuts before I finish, I'm only on a 3 day (full time) course, so its rather annoying, and they don't like you booking PCs for the entire day :roll:

But given clear instruction, I should be fine, but I do agree with you, I would probably do more damage tho :oops: :roll:
Behind the innocent,
the last, the least and the lost
will be found in the storm

Northern Skyline - a fansite for Clannad/Moya/Enya get the latest news as soon as we get it
User avatar
Killiney
Addicted to Moya
 
Posts: 1986
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:45 am
Location: Dover, England

Postby mise » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:25 am

Perhaps it's worthwhile then to find a forum where they can help you with computer issues. I know Angoid is our technical administrator and he loves computers and the like, but it's not really fair to ask him to put in all this time to solve your problems. He is (like everyone else) here because of Moya and her music, not to solve member's computer problems.

So can anyone recommend a good forum to Killiney?
Cherish all your happy moments: They make a fine cushion for old age
User avatar
mise
Moderator
 
Posts: 2336
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:29 pm

Postby Killiney » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:34 am

mise wrote:Perhaps it's worthwhile then to find a forum where they can help you with computer issues. I know Angoid is our technical administrator and he loves computers and the like, but it's not really fair to ask him to put in all this time to solve your problems. He is (like everyone else) here because of Moya and her music, not to solve member's computer problems.

So can anyone recommend a good forum to Killiney?


Sorry, I didn't realise that it'd be like this
Behind the innocent,
the last, the least and the lost
will be found in the storm

Northern Skyline - a fansite for Clannad/Moya/Enya get the latest news as soon as we get it
User avatar
Killiney
Addicted to Moya
 
Posts: 1986
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:45 am
Location: Dover, England

Postby Angoid » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

It might be worth taking this over to ChrisRLG's own forum:

http://www.malwareremoval.com

You'll need to join that forum and then start a new topic in the Malware Removal section.

There are a lot of helpers there who patrol the forums all the while looking for problems exactly like this one.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator
 
Posts: 3674
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: In the cave

Postby Turlough » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:37 pm

(((( Mise )))) considerate and caring as ever ----- Killiney, I've heard of another forum where Angus works, called Suggest A Fix. It might be the kind of forum Mise has in mind. Let's see if Angus agrees. :?:
Image
"We can be children of Paradise" Justin Hayward
User avatar
Turlough
Addicted to Moya
 
Posts: 1097
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:55 am
Location: The Cradle of Watches

Postby Killiney » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:13 pm

Turlough wrote:(((( Mise )))) considerate and caring as ever ----- Killiney, I've heard of another forum where Angus works, called Suggest A Fix. It might be the kind of forum Mise has in mind. Let's see if Angus agrees. :?:


I shouldn't have troubled the forum
Behind the innocent,
the last, the least and the lost
will be found in the storm

Northern Skyline - a fansite for Clannad/Moya/Enya get the latest news as soon as we get it
User avatar
Killiney
Addicted to Moya
 
Posts: 1986
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:45 am
Location: Dover, England

Postby ChrisRLG » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:06 pm

Killiney

Is more than one reason, I too would have prefered you to find help at a speciallist forum.

When you are at a speciallist forum, the one posting the help, is not the only one reading your topic.

If the helper posts something even slightly likely to case harm, more people would have the knowledge to be able to step in and make sure you got correct advice.

This is not to say that Angoid would not have provided 1st class assistance to you, but like they say 2 heads, even cod heads, are better than one.

Most of the speciallist forums are overwhelmed with victims of malware, so which ever one you go to, be patient as it could take up to a week to get an expert who is free to help you.

Angoid mentioned my own forum, and you have had "suggest a fix" also mentioned to you. My own forums waiting time is over a week

Here are 2 lists of such forums.
http://asap.maddoktor2.com/
http://www.malwarecomplaints.info/viewtopic.php?t=63

All of those forums (on both lists) are manned by speciallists in removal of malware.
MS MVP 2005-6 to 2008-9

Please post the secret code: 'Shakey Lemon
User avatar
ChrisRLG
Technical Administrator
 
Posts: 837
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:53 pm

Postby Killiney » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:36 pm

ChrisRLG wrote:Killiney

Is more than one reason, I too would have prefered you to find help at a speciallist forum.

When you are at a speciallist forum, the one posting the help, is not the only one reading your topic.

If the helper posts something even slightly likely to case harm, more people would have the knowledge to be able to step in and make sure you got correct advice.

This is not to say that Angoid would not have provided 1st class assistance to you, but like they say 2 heads, even cod heads, are better than one.

Most of the speciallist forums are overwhelmed with victims of malware, so which ever one you go to, be patient as it could take up to a week to get an expert who is free to help you.

Angoid mentioned my own forum, and you have had "suggest a fix" also mentioned to you. My own forums waiting time is over a week

Here are 2 lists of such forums.
http://asap.maddoktor2.com/
http://www.malwarecomplaints.info/viewtopic.php?t=63

All of those forums (on both lists) are manned by speciallists in removal of malware.


I used the one Angus gave me above, is that ok?
Behind the innocent,
the last, the least and the lost
will be found in the storm

Northern Skyline - a fansite for Clannad/Moya/Enya get the latest news as soon as we get it
User avatar
Killiney
Addicted to Moya
 
Posts: 1986
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:45 am
Location: Dover, England

Postby Angoid » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:17 pm

Good forums to use include:

http://asap.maddoktor2.com/
http://www.malwareremoval.com/
http://www.suggestafix.com/

That last one is the one that's been referenced ..... I think this is better progressed on a specialist forum now, Killiney. This isn't the sort of thing we're about here, so I think it's right that it's progressed elsewhere as there will be more than one head available.

Unfortunately, with the rise of this sort of thing, there WILL be a waiting time at most of the decent forums as there are more infected computers than helpers out there, and helpers are overstretched wherever you go. However, you will get 1st-class help.

Please don't take this personally - it's simply because it's not what this forum is about - it's about Moya Brennan and her music.

I'll lock this topic now to stop it continuing here.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator
 
Posts: 3674
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:08 pm
Location: In the cave

Previous

Return to Administrator

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron