Chat Room?

About Moya's forum, for site-related issues. Please start your site-related issue as a new topic and one of us will come along and advise.

Moderator: All Moderators

Postby Angoid » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:15 pm

The moderating team is in discussion regarding this, and here is a little "inside info" for you.

The main problem we have is that we don't have moderators in every time zone of the world. Unity does. For instance, we don't have anyone in the Australasia part of the world - so if some trouble brewed up while we in the UK are all nicely tucked up in bed, then it would be the next morning before any of us knew about it.

And then, we've got things to do such as getting ready to go to work or college, and not have time to do this properly.

Added to that, do we really want to get up to a barrage of emails, private messages, or forum posts from folk complaining that they were attacked in the chatroom, and can we review the logs?

OK, that is a worst-case scenario, but it illustrates what we potentially open ourselves up to by setting up a chatroom when we're under-resourced.

In the meantime, there is always MSN. Yes, it's not forum-specific, but many of us are on MSN and do chat on that from time to time, so maybe if we said that there would be no official chatroom but feel free to use MSN, that might work.

Bear in mind you can set up an email address for use with MSN that is not your main correspondence address: as long as it's capable of receiving email you'll be fine. That's what I do.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Killiney » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:28 pm

Angoid wrote:The moderating team is in discussion regarding this, and here is a little "inside info" for you.

The main problem we have is that we don't have moderators in every time zone of the world. Unity does. For instance, we don't have anyone in the Australasia part of the world - so if some trouble brewed up while we in the UK are all nicely tucked up in bed, then it would be the next morning before any of us knew about it.

And then, we've got things to do such as getting ready to go to work or college, and not have time to do this properly.

Added to that, do we really want to get up to a barrage of emails, private messages, or forum posts from folk complaining that they were attacked in the chatroom, and can we review the logs?

OK, that is a worst-case scenario, but it illustrates what we potentially open ourselves up to by setting up a chatroom when we're under-resourced.

In the meantime, there is always MSN. Yes, it's not forum-specific, but many of us are on MSN and do chat on that from time to time, so maybe if we said that there would be no official chatroom but feel free to use MSN, that might work.

Bear in mind you can set up an email address for use with MSN that is not your main correspondence address: as long as it's capable of receiving email you'll be fine. That's what I do.

I see.

I did think that there may be difficulties, as I said earlier, perhaps its best to say no until we get a lot more users.
Behind the innocent,
the last, the least and the lost
will be found in the storm

Northern Skyline - a fansite for Clannad/Moya/Enya get the latest news as soon as we get it
Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:45 pm

Dear members

The moderators have discussed this idea at length and have decided that for the time being at least setting up a chat room for this forum is not a practical option for moderation as well as other reasons. Those members who wish to have real-time discussions might perhaps make use of instant messaging programs such as MSN, as many of us here do use MSN and it's always proved a good tool for live chats with each other.

I'm locking this topic now, so please don't start another one to ask the same question :)
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Previous

Return to Administrator