Chat Room?

About Moya's forum, for site-related issues. Please start your site-related issue as a new topic and one of us will come along and advise.

Moderator: All Moderators

Chat Room?

Postby Killiney » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:21 pm

I've been thinking for several months now, and I recall speaking to Charlotte about this briefly, but, I would just like to see what people think.

I feel that this forum could benefit from a 'chat room', similar to the one at Unity, though I don't know how they have their moderating powers on it.

It would be a good idea to have a chat room as we can meet new people, and just generally get to know each other a bit more than the normal forum in a sense.

Take the example of the Unity chat, (not that I'm suggesting we do it like that, no, I suggest that if we do one, we make it better :D), on Unity, you can join in to the chat room, however, you must be a registered, and logged in user to use this facility, which I think is good, it keeps things away from prying eyes, on the other hand, we can organise things, say like forum meetings, or trips somewhere, in real time, that way people can say what they think, and it means that people aren't left out in a sense, as the forum threads stay on for about a year, and if things are done in a chat room, then people know that is happening now, or is going to happen in the near future, and not be disappointed that it has already happened, like the Moya Book thread, it happened in 2005, yet a year after that, a few members found it, not realising that it had already been done.

Anyway,

just my thoughts.
Behind the innocent,
the last, the least and the lost
will be found in the storm

Northern Skyline - a fansite for Clannad/Moya/Enya get the latest news as soon as we get it
Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Macha » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:19 pm

Hi Killiney,

this has been discussed a while ago; and Beth (who left the forum) and Grania said, that there are actually no plans to install a chat room here. Sorry.
Macha
Addicted to Moya

Postby Killiney » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:22 pm

Macha wrote:Hi Killiney,

this has been discussed a while ago; and Beth (who left the forum) and Grania said, that there are actually no plans to install a chat room here. Sorry.

I know that there are no plans to install one, I'm just seeing what people think, and perhaps, our views may be able to change the decision.
Behind the innocent,

Northern Skyline - a fansite for Clannad/Moya/Enya get the latest news as soon as we get it
Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Methica » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:34 pm

I agree it might be a good idea, but I'm not so sure if we really need a chatroom... One can send PM's to conctact, and I think most of us have MSN...
Imperfect is the new perfect
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby Killiney » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:45 pm

Methica wrote:I agree it might be a good idea, but I'm not so sure if we really need a chatroom... One can send PM's to conctact, and I think most of us have MSN...

Yes, I'm in agreement with that.

But I think that there may be a few members out there that are unsure about giving their addresses to other members.

And besides, if there was a chat room in place, then Máire could talk to all of us at once, instead of missing a few people out because of the delays in recieving e-mail notifications.

I'm not suggesting we have a chat room once a year, just for Máire to talk to us, far from it, I think it should be a permanent feature, that anyone can use.
Behind the innocent,

Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby hermeyjdi » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:13 am

Killiney wrote:
Methica wrote:I agree it might be a good idea, but I'm not so sure if we really need a chatroom... One can send PM's to conctact, and I think most of us have MSN...

Yes, I'm in agreement with that.

But I think that there may be a few members out there that are unsure about giving their addresses to other members.

And besides, if there was a chat room in place, then Máire could talk to all of us at once, instead of missing a few people out because of the delays in recieving e-mail notifications.

I'm not suggesting we have a chat room once a year, just for Máire to talk to us, far from it, I think it should be a permanent feature, that anyone can use.

I am confussed. Isn't this forum a chat room?? If not then I guess I don't know what a chat room is. :?
Jesus said to Peter, "feed my sheep not experiment on my rats" -C S Lewis
hermeyjdi
Addicted to Moya

Postby A_S » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:55 am

While it would be fun to have a chatroom, I'm not sure we really need it around here. First of all, unlike Unity, which has thousands of members, this is a small community. That would mean that often there aren't tons of members on at the same time to chat with. Also, it seems like with the current arrangement, members have taken it upon themselves to make chatting or messaging possible through MSN or with PMs and e-mail and do so regularly, which makes for a lot of close relationships within the forum already. The members here are also really good at using the forum threads as true open forums for planning events and getting to know each other, so realtime chat isn't needed so much for that. These events take time to plan, as well, and putting together something as complex as the book for Moya can't be accomplished just in a chat session. In fact, real time chatting might be more exclusionary, since not all members are able to be around at the same time, especially in an international community like this one, which would cause some to miss discussions. As for the problem of coming across threads that are old, the only real solution is checking the dates. We probably have more people lamenting the loss of a "classic" thread because disuse than we do people mistaking the dates, so... :| Also, I think you'll find that the chats with Moya do take place in real time, even without a chatroom. They're a bit crazy, and I don't envy Moya's job of responding to our questions for hours at a time (Thank you so much for doing that for us, Moya!), but they work and are lots of fun.

Just my thoughts. I do think a chatroom would be fun, though. I merely question the necessity of such an addition to the forum.
A_S
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Killiney » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:48 am

A_S wrote:I do think a chatroom would be fun, though. I merely question the necessity of such an addition to the forum.

That's a valid point A_S, true, there are nigh on 5 1/2 thousand members over at unity, but we only have about 800 or so, so it would be a little pointless to have a chat room at the moment, but, perhaps as time goes on and out membership increases, perhaps we could have a chat room then.

And hermeyjdi, what I mean by a chat room is one that is in effect, a closed room, that only members can join, and, to make things easier, its like MSN and group chats, just on a larger scale, and on the forum.
Behind the innocent,

Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby mise » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:17 pm

This topic will be moved to the administrator section. If you scroll down that section you will find that there is already a topic on this item. It might be a good idea to read that too! Though I will (to stop confusion) lock that topic. :wink:
Cherish all your happy moments: They make a fine cushion for old age
mise

Postby Killiney » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:46 pm

mise wrote:This topic will be moved to the administrator section. If you scroll down that section you will find that there is already a topic on this item. It might be a good idea to read that too! Though I will (to stop confusion) lock that topic. :wink:

Thanks mise
Behind the innocent,

Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby hermeyjdi » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:06 am

Killiney wrote:And hermeyjdi, what I mean by a chat room is one that is in effect, a closed room, that only members can join, and, to make things easier, its like MSN and group chats, just on a larger scale, and on the forum.

I guess I have never been a part of anything like that so I am not sure how they work. If we do ever get one then I will have to figure it out.
Oh and about your point of having over 800 members. Not all those members are active. I wonder what % are and if you are a member and don't chat with in a certin time then you are deleted. I doubt that happens but maybe it does. I don't know what I am rambaling about but anyway.
Jesus said to Peter, "feed my sheep not experiment on my rats" -C S Lewis
hermeyjdi
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:43 pm

I think with any forum, you find lots of members but only a small handful remain active a lot of the time. Plus people come, and people go.

Some join up to ask just one or two questions, and once they have their answer(s), they're of, never to be seen again.

Others move on for different reasons.

The same is true of any chat system, be it one attached to a forum or a general one such as MSN (now Windows Live Messenger).

At one time we did experiment with a chat system using what's called IRC, but from memory there were one or two violent objections thus the plan got shelved.

I'm not going to say whether we will or won't, but it's food for thought to see whether we can come up with a system and whether it's both workable and worthwhile.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Killiney » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:26 pm

Angoid wrote:I think with any forum, you find lots of members but only a small handful remain active a lot of the time. Plus people come, and people go.

Some join up to ask just one or two questions, and once they have their answer(s), they're of, never to be seen again.

Others move on for different reasons.

The same is true of any chat system, be it one attached to a forum or a general one such as MSN (now Windows Live Messenger).

At one time we did experiment with a chat system using what's called IRC, but from memory there were one or two violent objections thus the plan got shelved.

I'm not going to say whether we will or won't, but it's food for thought to see whether we can come up with a system and whether it's both workable and worthwhile.

Its going to be hard trying to add that to the forum, as well as manage it
Behind the innocent,

Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:01 pm

Technically speaking, adding it is the easy part. There are IRC and Flash Chat systems out there you can effectively just pick off the shelf and customise as requred.

It's how we manage it and moderate it that's the main concern.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Killiney » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:38 pm

Angoid wrote:Technically speaking, adding it is the easy part. There are IRC and Flash Chat systems out there you can effectively just pick off the shelf and customise as requred.

It's how we manage it and moderate it that's the main concern.

I didn't know adding it was that easy. But as for moderating, hmmm tough one. I think that to make things easier, only registered and logged in members can use it, but as for keeping your moderating powers, I'm not too sure.
Last edited by Killiney on Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Behind the innocent,

Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Next

Return to Administrator