No "Edit" button on my posts

About Moya's forum, for site-related issues. Please start your site-related issue as a new topic and one of us will come along and advise.

Moderator: All Moderators

No "Edit" button on my posts

Postby Macha » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:45 pm

Hi,

I just posted in the "Welcome/Fáilte" subforum; after posting I noticed that the "Edit" button isn't visible on my posts there - how's that possible? Does this mean I can't edit my own posts in this subforum? Or what could be the reason for this? I'm really a bit confused. :?:

I've looked in another topic - there I can see the "Edit" button on my posts.
Macha
Addicted to Moya

Postby ChrisRLG » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:20 am

yes different rooms can have different permissions - edit being one of the permissions.

I think that room has had the permission set for a very long time. long before I joined.
MS MVP 2005-6 to 2008-9

Please post the secret code: 'Shakey Lemon
ChrisRLG
Technical Administrator

Postby Macha » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:57 pm

ChrisRLG wrote:yes different rooms can have different permissions - edit being one of the permissions.

I think that room has had the permission set for a very long time. long before I joined.

Do you mean the permission to edit posts isn't no longer active in that room? Yesterday I've posted two times in a row by mistake there - is it maybe possible to delete one of these posts?
Macha
Addicted to Moya

Postby ChrisRLG » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:03 pm

I mean it probably never did have the edit permission.

One reason edit is often removed (not saying this is the reason here), is that people who edit thier posts long after others have replied can make the reply posts look silly by changing the context of thier post.

So often the edit of posts is removed for that reason.

The new software (when installed) will have the ability to allow editing of posts for a set time - say 15 minutes - rather than an all or nothing edit permission, and it is likely we will make use of that then.

Please point out your post and I (or a moderator) will move the post away out of sight - we try never to delete posts.
MS MVP 2005-6 to 2008-9

Please post the secret code: 'Shakey Lemon
ChrisRLG
Technical Administrator

Postby Angoid » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:52 pm

Dupe post already taken care of :lol:

The other thing about that Welcome room is that it's the only place where guests can post using a provided login and password. We disallow editing there also as a security measure.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Macha » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:07 pm

Thanks Angoid & Chris, now I understand the reason. First I thought it was a mistake by me or my computer had a problem. But it's good to know that now.

@ Angoid: I've just seen that the double post is deleted - thanks for doing that. It was because I wanted to send it and got an error info first - so I sent it again and then it was there two times.
Macha
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:15 pm

I've had that happen before ... sometimes the mouse button "bounces" and double-posts. However, there is a timeout that is supposed to prevent that sort of thing from happening by prevening someone from posting twice in quick succession.

Fortunately, as it only happens once in a blue moon, it's easy enough to just delete the unwanted second post.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Return to Administrator