Of This Land

News, Nostalgia, etc.

Moderators: wonky_eggs, mise, Grania, Banba Óir, All Moderators

'Of This Land' is one of Moya's best ever songs, yes or no?

Yes! I absolutely adore it
64%
Yes, I like it
24%
Grania, you're crazy, NO!
12%

Total votes : 33

Postby Killiney » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:26 pm

A_S wrote:
Grania wrote:That we DO agree on. I haven't made Killybegs yet, but I definitely think that after I heard Clannad's music in Donegal (Gweedore particularly) itself, I somehow understood it more, and got more out of it as a result :)

Killybegs was nice. That's where I stayed when I was in Donegal, so I only went up to Gweedore for a day (a very full day, though!) There are dramatic hills around there, and the ocean (not that you're ever that far from the ocean on an island...). I can post some pictures of the wedge tombs if you like. And some from the B&B I stayed at there as well.

So we are all agreed that Clannad's music is steeped in the essence of Donegal, the hills, mountains, sea, etc. Could we say, though, that Of This Land evokes those images even more than most songs? I mean, look at the title...

I'm not in agreement. I think its about the entire island of Éire. Not just Donegal.
Behind the innocent,
the last, the least and the lost
will be found in the storm

Northern Skyline - a fansite for Clannad/Moya/Enya get the latest news as soon as we get it
Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:31 pm

We're not saying it's just Donegal - just Donegal captures Clannad's music better than anywhere else :)

And yes, Moya visits the forum alright :lol: You never quite know when or where, but she does :wink: And Turlough is right, Moya will always answer a reasonable question :) She's an angel in disguise really :wink:
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Killiney » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:44 pm

Grania wrote:She's an angel in disguise really :wink:

I couldn't have put it better.
Behind the innocent,

Northern Skyline - a fansite for Clannad/Moya/Enya get the latest news as soon as we get it
Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby A_S » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:07 am

Moya is really great, yes.

I agree with you, Killiney, in that the song seems to refer to Ireland as a whole (and the whole island, not just the Republic at that), but also from my not-so-informed opinion, as far as a song evoking thoughts of a cetain landscape, Donegal's is the one that seems to come up when one thinks of Clannad.

Killiney, I wanted to ask you, do you view the flowers as a symbol of Ireland's hardships or its glories?
A_S
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Killiney » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:26 pm

I'm not sure. I think as a symbol of hope that was once lost, but has beem rekindled, or perhaps that the bloom, represents the blooming, whether it be of hardships or glory, but it is blossoming. Perhaps it means the blossoming of love?
Behind the innocent,

Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Roibeard Óg » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:31 am

When I first heard 'Of This Land', I thought of Northern Ireland for obvious reasons. I come from a massive family, and have around 60 first cousins, and there had been so many deaths on both sides, from both Protestant and Catholic members that this, like 'Let me See', really struck a chord in me.

Although, when my imagination runs wild with this song I see the troubles, and I see them in Donegal. It's weird. Donegal represents the beauty, and the meloncholy is Northern Ireland. I think that this song, although not officially, but to me, states something very dull to most, and that is evolution. To me, evolution seems like a contradiction. It means more energy, more weapons, more holes in the atmosphere and more technology that we could have lived without had we not known of its' existence.

There are so many parts in this song that are really inspiring. The verse that really, really hits me is:

How soulful those words that confuses the way
How wild the mountains' stare as they guard our every day
Take for granted noble hearts in the golden age that's flown
Between us, recall on a strong road we've known

The mountains, especially in Belfast have always been there to gaurd the people during world war two. Thinking of the ratio of defenced between the UK and Northern Ireland, NI's damages and fatality were horrifically worse. A lot of my family now live around Hannahstown and Antrim, where people were evacuated to.

But then, before WW2, and certainly after, IRA, RUC and other organisations with hate towards "the other kind" had secret meetings on the hills and plotted vulgar attacks on their enemies, usually innocent people. It's really sad stuff, and although nothing like the song, I feel it has, although not as evident, the same notion in some way as 'There Were Roses'.

Precious time, time for healing the beauty of this land

This line reminds me a lot of Northern Ireland and its' troubles, and there is a poem that sort of makes you take in the importance and validity of the words above.

First they came for the communists.
I did not speak, for I was not a communist.

Then they came for the social democrats,
And I did not speak, for I was not a social democrat.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
And I did not speak, for I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
And I did not speak, for I was not a I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the so-called "un-cureables",
And I did not speak, for I was not a I wasn't a mentally ill.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

by Friedrich Martin Niemöller

It sort of preaches, along with the last line I quoted from 'Of This Land', that we all need to come together and buckle down to fix these problems.

End of terribly long post.
"Tús maith, leath na hoibre!"
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

Postby Killiney » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:23 am

I am astounded by your explanation to it. I'm also astounded by the fact that you like 'There Were Roses' by Cara Dillon. Its so enchanting, as is 'Of This Land' and 'Let Me See'. My favourite line from this is 'Let me be wizened with my eyes', I really like it, I think that if we all took the time to look around us, we could fix these problems, I think my signature says it all. (Please stop the Catholic-Protestant war in Nothern Ireland)

We must stop fighting amongst friends, for that is the war we lose. If we took the time and noticed what we were doing instead of being caught up in revenge, we might be able to save what we have. 'An eye for another eye, until everybody was blind'.
Behind the innocent,

Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby Nigel » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:26 am

I voted 'Yes! I absolutely adore it' because its definitely one of Clannad's best!! And Clannad do have some best, in my opinion probably about six whole albums of best... :mrgreen:
Nigel
Addicted to Moya

Postby Killiney » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:13 am

Its a lovely song. I feel like I'm not here when I listen to it. I love it. Such beauty. Máire's voice is so enchanting.
Behind the innocent,

Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby hermeyjdi » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:51 pm

I voted yes because Of This Land is my favorite Clannad song! My second favorite is Na Laethe Bhi from the Banba album.
My understanding is that the song Of This Land was about the whole island of Ireland but I really have no idea. I also thought that the album Landmarks was about Ireland. It is such an awesome album.
Jesus said to Peter, "feed my sheep not experiment on my rats" -C S Lewis
hermeyjdi
Addicted to Moya

Postby Killiney » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:05 pm

hermeyjdi wrote:I voted yes because Of This Land is my favorite Clannad song! My second favorite is Na Laethe Bhi from the Banba album.
My understanding is that the song Of This Land was about the whole island of Ireland but I really have no idea. I also thought that the album Landmarks was about Ireland. It is such an awesome album.

I think 'Clannad' is about their heritage and family. The band name 'Clannad' was derived from the Gaelic word 'Chlannad' meaning family. (Still pronounced 'Clannad')
Behind the innocent,

Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby hermeyjdi » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:17 pm

Killiney wrote:
hermeyjdi wrote:I voted yes because Of This Land is my favorite Clannad song! My second favorite is Na Laethe Bhi from the Banba album.

I think 'Clannad' is about their heritage and family. The band name 'Clannad' was derived from the Gaelic word 'Chlannad' meaning family. (Still pronounced 'Clannad')

I did know that about the Clannad name. I think I read that in Moya's book. Thanks for sharing though!!
hermeyjdi
Addicted to Moya

Postby Killiney » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:26 pm

hermeyjdi wrote:
Killiney wrote:

I did know that about the Clannad name. I think I read that in Moya's book. Thanks for sharing though!!

It came to me the other day, I saw the word 'Chlannad' and then I don't remember how I came up with the conclusion.

Thanks for reminding me, when I have a little more money, I shall get the book.
Behind the innocent,

Killiney
Addicted to Moya

Postby hermeyjdi » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:28 pm

It is so good. After my Mom and I traveled to Holland to see Moya, I had her read it and she also really enjoyed it.
hermeyjdi
Addicted to Moya

Postby Killiney » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:33 pm

hermeyjdi wrote:It is so good. After my Mom and I traveled to Holland to see Moya, I had her read it and she also really enjoyed it.

hmmmmm. Anticipation isn't always best for me.
Behind the innocent,

Killiney
Addicted to Moya

PreviousNext

Return to Clannad