Would you want Moya to be more successful commercially?

Discuss anything about Moya and her music

Moderator: All Moderators

Would you want Moya to be more successful commercially?

Yes, I wish she'd be in the Top Ten on every release
7%
Yes, she deserves the same recognition Enya receives
30%
I'm not worried, she's done fine
56%
I'm not concerned with how much Moya sells
7%

Total votes : 86

Postby Turlough » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:41 pm

R.O. that was the most courageous post in this topic. Most of those who post in this Forum are fans of Moya and her two groups. I do not miss the absent contribution of the departed producer; I think all the post-Fuaim Clannad abums, Moya's albums, and the D&F album are all completely state-of-the-art as they are. So I would agree with anyone who posts that Moya does not suffer any inadequacy for want of Enya-related elements.
"We can be children of Paradise" Justin Hayward
Turlough
Addicted to Moya

Postby Roibeard Óg » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:53 pm

Turlough wrote:So I would agree with anyone who posts that Moya does not suffer any inadequacy for want of Enya-related elements.

I agree wholeheartedly. Moya has her own type of music and an interest in recording sounds that she hasn't tried before, I was even surprised by Molly Fair when I first heard it! Everything's different, and when I heard the new version of 'I Will Find You', I was blown away, but thought it wouldn't fit in with the rest of Signature. Now, playing the whole album through, it fits in brilliantly. :D
"Tús maith, leath na hoibre!"
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

Postby Richard Fethers » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:07 am

I'm a great Maire/ Clannad fan and always will be. Maire has a wonderful voice and has recorded great songs both on her own and with Clannad. I can say it was Maire/ Clannad that openned my appreciation for Celtic music.
So we need to recognise her for her contributions to music in general and Celtic in particular...Maire is Maire. We wish her well for her current tours and hope she will record more songs in the future.
Now to the question of Maire and Eithne...Let me start by saying they are both talented artists in their own right.
Eithne appeals to a different audience for a reason that I wasn't aware of until I talked with their Aunt Brid. Eithne has a huge following in Japan...why? Many girls there apparently like the "Enya" look facially and have surgery to look like Eithne. There is no doubt the Brennan women are all attractive but Eithne has particular appeal in Japan.
So I'd like to get beyond the Maire/ Eithne, recognise them and the Brennans more broadly for what they've done for Celtic music and beyond.
Cheers,
Richard Fethers

Postby Roibeard Óg » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:58 pm

Richard Fethers wrote:I'm a great Maire/ Clannad fan and always will be. Maire has a wonderful voice and has recorded great songs both on her own and with Clannad. I can say it was Maire/ Clannad that openned my appreciation for Celtic music.
So we need to recognise her for her contributions to music in general and Celtic in particular...Maire is Maire. We wish her well for her current tours and hope she will record more songs in the future.
Now to the question of Maire and Eithne...Let me start by saying they are both talented artists in their own right.
Eithne appeals to a different audience for a reason that I wasn't aware of until I talked with their Aunt Brid. Eithne has a huge following in Japan...why? Many girls there apparently like the "Enya" look facially and have surgery to look like Eithne. There is no doubt the Brennan women are all attractive but Eithne has particular appeal in Japan.
So I'd like to get beyond the Maire/ Eithne, recognise them and the Brennans more broadly for what they've done for Celtic music and beyond.
Cheers,

There is no doubt at all that Clanand secured the "Celtic" genre, and played the biggest role in creating it, and that is a reason why I thought Moya should be more comercially successful, although this usually means big record labels.

I was looking at an interview, posted today or yesterday on http://clannad.nl , and Moya mentioned how she loves publishing under her own record label (BEO - Gaelic for Alive/Live), and describing what it feels like to own her own record, and not another company. This is why, I changed my mind and thought, 'you know what, she's happy - music's breathtaking - I'm happy", and I think a lot of fans would agree with me.

As for the whole look thing, Moya and Enya's looks are different. Whereas Moya's photography is more themed, Enya has moved out of that (but only for 'Amarantine'). The Brennan sisters are artistic in every respect of the word. And Brídín couldn't go wrong with 'Eyes of Innocence' - she has those Brennan eyes so all she needed was a photograph of her! They each suit their looks 100%, although some didn't like 'An Irish Christmas' - I thought it was a stunning change. The whole fact that people get surgery to look like a singer though, I find quite obsessive, and I think that reduces and artist's appeal. I'm not sure it's something to be proud of at all, but thenagain people lok at things in different ways.
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

Postby BenWiganUK » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:12 pm

I think the main sadness for me is that Moya's albums aren't widely available and visible in stores. For example, I've been in HMV tonight at the Trafford Centre, Manchester and they are only selling Signature. It would be lovely to see all 7 solo albums on the shelves.

I also feel the time is right for a compilation album to consolidate her career. I don't know how it could be done with her albums being on different labels but I'd love a 'Best of' featuring tracks from all the albums.
Whisper to the wild water is Moya's masterpiece. Every track a classic.
BenWiganUK
Banned Member

Postby Roibeard Óg » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:14 pm

BenWiganUK wrote:I think the main sadness for me is that Moya's albums aren't widely available and visible in stores. For example, I've been in HMV tonight at the Trafford Centre, Manchester and they are only selling Signature. It would be lovely to see all 7 solo albums on the shelves.

I also feel the time is right for a compilation album to consolidate her career. I don't know how it could be done with her albums being on different labels but I'd love a 'Best of' featuring tracks from all the albums.

There are talks of a Moya DVD in 2008. I'm wondering is she'll be doing sort of a live compilation as well as a CD version. it may be a loophole with the whole record company problem! :]
Roibeard Óg
Addicted to Moya

Postby Richard Fethers » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:41 am

Roibeard Og,
From what I understand the Japanese women have had a fascination for Western fashion. A part of that is changing the way they look and the Brennan eyes have it...particularly Enya.
Please I don't want to come across like I know any thing about the Japanese culture.
More as you put it there are different images portrayed by Enya and Moya which appeal to different audiances and for different reasons.
I have a strong interest in Moya's music with Clannad in particular but I also enjoy listening to Enya.
Cheers,
Richard
Richard Fethers

Postby lildee293 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:25 pm

Endymion wrote:I will say that Moya deserve the same recognition than Enya,because she have entered in many others works,and for me isn't matter how much her music sells since it is always there for me to listen it.
Its sad :( that almost the popular radios only pass noises,and not real music.
Thats why hip hop has been very popular this days (yuck :? :shock: I hate hip hop,for me its a ugly music),maybe in the future will appear an artist that could put New Age and hip hop together???Maybe.We never knows.

I think that might have happend already. I could be mistaken, but didn't some hip/hop aritist sample one of Enya's songs? Could it have been Carribbean Blue? Maybe I'm just imagining it.... :oops:
lildee293

Postby Methica » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:07 pm

lildee293 wrote:
Endymion wrote:I will say that Moya deserve the same recognition than Enya,because she have entered in many others works,and for me isn't matter how much her music sells since it is always there for me to listen it.
Its sad :( that almost the popular radios only pass noises,and not real music.
Thats why hip hop has been very popular this days (yuck :? :shock: I hate hip hop,for me its a ugly music),maybe in the future will appear an artist that could put New Age and hip hop together???Maybe.We never knows.

I think that might have happend already. I could be mistaken, but didn't some hip/hop aritist sample one of Enya's songs? Could it have been Carribbean Blue? Maybe I'm just imagining it.... :oops:

The Fugees have used Boadicea in their song "Ready Or Not", and so has Mario Winans, in the song "I Don't Wanna Know"... :)
Imperfect is the new perfect
Methica
Addicted to Moya

Postby Wil_mar » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:57 pm

Moya is just the way she is, and stay's bij herself. I cannot imagine how it is when she's more in the picture.
She has earned her place already in the musicworld and i like her and her music the way it is.
She don't have to prove she's better, she already is.... in her own way....
Wil_mar

Previous

Return to General