A Question?

Ancient meeting place of the High Kings

Moderators: wonky_eggs, nessieq, gregoing, Grania, All Moderators

A Question?

Postby kevinkells » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:43 pm

I'm wondering if anyone else on this forum have been getting notifications in their email inbox from 'me {@@} cjwdavis.co.uk' regarding the topic THE HILL OF TARA.? I've had a few of these over the last month or so telling me that I've been following this topic and to click on this link to view it, and I've ended up at a forum like this with a different set-up.

It looks Russian to me I think lol...not sure !, so I can't understand all thats been written...there are some posts in English talking about irrelevant matters with the names of some participants in this forum...I thought I'd put this address into the address-bar and click and see what happened....nothing!.

...had to login to view this notification also, with this forum you don't have to do that unless you want to contribute.

Edit: Munge email address .
kevinkells
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Angoid » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:12 am

Hi Kevinkells,

That email address is for Chris Davis, who helped us out when we had a hacking incident a few years ago.

If the emails are spammy in nature, then please let me know and I'll forward on to him for consideration.

As a protection for Chris, I've edited your post slightly to munge his email address, otherwise it'll be harvested by spambots and he'll be spammed mercilessly - not sure if he's still using it, but better safe than sorry I think.

Can you PM the link you had in that email to me please? Don't post it, because that'll create a "backlink" and if it's nasty, we don't want to encourage the practice.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby kevinkells » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:59 pm

Hi Angoid, I've copied and pasted the notification & links in a PM to you...thanks for your reply!.
kevinkells

Postby Angoid » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:43 am

Hi Kevin kells, I've sent you the following in a PM. There's nothing sensitive or personal in it, and I think it's something others could benefit from as well.

At one stage, we set up a test-bed for phpBB3 and migrated the database to it.

It looks like you have subscribed to the topic "Saving Tara"

A spammer has come along, been able to register at the phpBB3 test set-up, and post junk into the thread.

You received the email as a result of your subscription to your topic.

Are you subscribed to that topic in this forum, and have you been subscribed for a significant amount of time?

The upgrade to phpBB3 is something that's been bubbling up for me again, and I'm looking to do something in the near future.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby kevinkells » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:18 am

Hi Angus, thanks for your interest!...don't know how long I've been subscribed to it lol...I just get notifications from various topics I've recently posted in- I don't know anything about subscribing on this forum as you must on others!
kevinkells

Re: A Question?

Postby kevinkells » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:32 am

Hmmmm just got a notification in my inbox that there was a reply to this topic....clearly there wasn't!. :roll:
kevinkells

Postby Angoid » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:44 pm

Hi kevinkells, we had a spammer come on board and post junk into this thread, so I deleted it.
By the time you got here, I'd already dealt with it.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby kevinkells » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:46 am

Cheers Angus! :D
kevinkells

Postby kevinkells » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:49 pm

Just got a notification that there'd been a reply to this topic, but when I visited here there was none..
kevinkells

Postby Angoid » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:14 pm

Hi Kevinkells, we've had a number of spammers recently and some of them post into old topics, thereby resurrecting them.
Chances are a spammer posted into this thread, which triggered your notification email.
Then along came a moderator, who dealt with the spam .... but there's no way to 'unsend' an email.
So by the time you got here, there was no post to see.

Sorry for any inconvenience, but there's not a lot we can do about that because once sent, an email cannot be recalled.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby kevinkells » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:52 am

Thanks Angus...good theres someone around keeping a check on things.
kevinkells

Postby Angoid » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:16 pm

You're welcome :)

We're currently discussing spammers off the back end of an old thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3559

If you're interested or have any thoughts on the matter, then please feel free to chime in!
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby kevinkells » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:56 am

Whoops just got another one! ( notification ) lol....does it help if I let you know Angus ?, or will I just ignore them if they're not legit.
kevinkells

Postby Angoid » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:12 pm

There were a couple of spammers that came on board over the weekend, and I zapped them before anyone else could post afterwards.

I normally just zap them without remembering the topics they spam.

Usually, I'll ban them if someone has posted after the spammer because the legit post after the spam can look silly if the spam is just deleted but if the final post in any thread is spam and that's the spammer's only post, I'll delete both the spam and the spammer.

It would seem that there's something about this topic that attracts the spam posts; definitely not your fault Kevinkells so please don't take that the wrong way but they seem to be attracted to topics maybe with certain words in the titles or OP text.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Return to The Hill of Tara