Page 2 of 3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:35 pm
by nessieq
i think moya say she's forgotten her language not because she has but because it sounds like that from the way she speaks. in interviews i've seen in irish, she always seems to be thinking more about what she's going to say, not about how she's going to say it. she thinks about the answers, not about the irish and i think it's a common mistake people make, albeit an unfortunate one.
that's just my opinion, though,i have no evidence.
nq.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:11 pm
by Grania
Could anyone do me a favour? I need a word in Irish and it's pronunciation and I can't find it anywhere.

The word is 'friend'

Thanks - Grania

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:55 pm
by the whistleplayer
It's cara. If you write a letter, you usually start with 'A chara', which is something like 'dear...'
Pronunciation is easy: just as it is written (sort of).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:22 pm
by Grania
Thanks :D :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:52 pm
by nessieq
hey there,
whilst we're on this subject, can i ask all roper irish speakers how you spell the word "fine"? i know how to say it, a long with a whole load of others, cause i got a tape teaching me loads of vocab, but i haven't a clue how you spell any of them. anywho, the word "fine" sounds really cool and i'd love to know the spelling out of interest..
thanks in advance,
nessa.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:19 am
by Lady Ryu
nessieq wrote:i think moya say she's forgotten her language not because she has but because it sounds like that from the way she speaks. in interviews i've seen in irish, she always seems to be thinking more about what she's going to say, not about how she's going to say it. she thinks about the answers, not about the irish and i think it's a common mistake people make, albeit an unfortunate one.
that's just my opinion, though,i have no evidence.
nq.


i can tell, that no-one is really forgetting his first language. but when i was for 2 years in geneva, i realized that i had difficulties with some words or speakings in german. i went nearly every weekend at home, i talked swissgerman to the other swissgermans, but still there were some words i wasn't used to anymore. we swissgermans had then a way to mix languages while talking to each other. phrases like "are you d'accord?" or "you have to got to the guichet quattre" just that the english part was in german.
so i think that is what's happening to anyone who talks and hears always a foreign language. you may forget some words but only for an instant. after you thought of it, you'll find it. and if you're some weeks back at home, all the words and so on will become naturally again.

@topic
how come then that you spell máire like moya? only with the alphabet i don't get that...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:50 pm
by nessieq
hello there,
"maire2 is the irish spelling for a name which, phontecially is spelt "moya". the two names sound the same, but i think moya had some bother with mispronunciations as Gaelic isn't the most widely used language, so it was easier as "moya".
hope that helps!
nq.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:09 pm
by Lady Ryu
nessieq wrote:hello there,
"maire2 is the irish spelling for a name which, phontecially is spelt "moya". the two names sound the same, but i think moya had some bother with mispronunciations as Gaelic isn't the most widely used language, so it was easier as "moya".
hope that helps!
nq.


yes, i know this. my question actually was, why it was spelled like this. i mean i know the italian spelling rules. so i know why spaghetti is spelled as (in german writings) spagetti. but only with the gaelic alphabet i do not understand why máire is spelled as moya or why eithne is enya. which is/are the rules? is "áire" always "oya" or is there something else?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:13 pm
by nessieq
eeeerm, well i know that TH is silent in irish, hence eithnne becmes enya, but i don't know the rules as to why maire is moya.. i ahevn't got that far on my course yet! :oops: :D
sorry i acn't be of more help.
nq.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:16 pm
by Lady Ryu
no prob. when i have more time to spare i'll try out 1 of the links. maybe there i will find my answer.

by the way, i like your dress. great work!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:09 pm
by Roibeard Óg
I think that it's because she is in an English speaking area. Máire will neveer loose her Gaeilge. Maybe she will be a bit slow thinking of the word, but it's impossible to learn the language she spoke natively for over thirty years.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:27 pm
by nessieq
Lady Ryu wrote:no prob. when i have more time to spare i'll try out 1 of the links. maybe there i will find my answer.

by the way, i like your dress. great work!


Hope you find what you're looking for - but i'm sure some of the irish speaking forum members could help you more than i could. and thanks- i'm glad you like the dress!
nq.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:22 pm
by Roibeard Óg
hello there,
"maire" is the irish spelling for a name which, phontecially is spelt "moya". the two names sound the same, but i think moya had some bother with mispronunciations as Gaelic isn't the most widely used language, so it was easier as "moya".
hope that helps!
nq.


Máire and Moya sound the same only in Donegal. In the six Counties we pronounce it M-why-ra, in Dublin it's pronounced 'Moira'. It just depends on the area and dialect. There are many different pronouncetions of Máire.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:29 pm
by Phantas
Roibeard Óg wrote:
hello there,
"maire" is the irish spelling for a name which, phontecially is spelt "moya". the two names sound the same, but i think moya had some bother with mispronunciations as Gaelic isn't the most widely used language, so it was easier as "moya".
hope that helps!
nq.


Máire and Moya sound the same only in Donegal. In the six Counties we pronounce it M-why-ra, in Dublin it's pronounced 'Moira'. It just depends on the area and dialect. There are many different pronouncetions of Máire.



So infact the Scottish "Moira" is the same as the Dublin "Maire" (with or without the á???)

Does the 'á' make a difference for the pronounciation of any word, like for example Máire or Maire? I mean, I know Máire is now pronounced as Moya, but does that mean that Maire is just pronounced as Mary or something like that?

Love,
Phantas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:32 pm
by Phantas
nessieq wrote:eeeerm, well i know that TH is silent in irish, hence eithnne becmes enya, but i don't know the rules as to why maire is moya.. i ahevn't got that far on my course yet! :oops: :D
sorry i acn't be of more help.
nq.


Actually, if you want to get it exactly right, Eithne is then pronounced as Eine, or vocally Enûh...(ûh pronounced as in yup, hope this makes sense).
I guess the Irish write that ûh sound as an 'a'. ;)

yes, nitpicking again *slaps forehead*

Love,
Phantas