Recommend other music artists to others

The world's a big place. There's lots going on. Let everyone else know about it.

Moderator: All Moderators

Postby Lynette » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:17 pm

Nigel,
I have one track a friend gave me call Laer Meg A Kjenne....it's simply beautiful.
Lynette
Addicted to Moya

Postby Niamh » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:46 pm

Lady Ryu wrote:a band i like (mostly) is ERA. the songs are in latin i think and have a good melody and rythm. but the 3rd album THE MASS i wouldn't recommend as it seems to me just like the first album ERA.
ERA and ERA 2 are wonderful!

also a great musician and songwriter is Aimee Mann. she wrote the music to the movie magnolia. just that she wrote the music before the movie existet and they made the movie because of her songs! she is really great and i love her lyrics.

it's a bit late but.. I love love Era! Especially the first two albums.. do you know if they are going to make a new album?
Ó lá go lá, mo thuras...

Niamh
Addicted to Moya

Postby cantilena91 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:02 am

Just letting you know that not all of Era's songs are in latin although they sound like Latin, namely, they ALSO use a fictitious nonsense language!! I have read this from some online source but cannot remember where... But, not everything is in Latin!

Personally I have got some of Era's albums but I listen to them seldom because of so strong guitars & drums! I am not a fan of Enigma for same reasons neither...

Suvi
"Your golden breath took darkness away, if I ask, You won't let me go..."
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Niamh » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:09 pm

Which cd's do you have, there are just three..
Ó lá go lá, mo thuras...

Niamh
Addicted to Moya

Postby cantilena91 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:13 am

I have got Era, Era 2 and Era The Mass, though there is still at leats one more CD available which is a sort of "best of" album...

Suvi
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby nessieq » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:51 pm

Sorry to interupt the convo.., but i was wondering if anyone had ever heard of/likes/hates an artist called Seth lakeman. I've been listening to some samples of his over on itunes and to me he sounds almost like a male eliza carthy.. could anyone give me some advice?
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby Niamh » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:06 pm

cantilena91 wrote:I have got Era, Era 2 and Era The Mass, though there is still at leats one more CD available which is a sort of "best of" album...

Suvi

I know that one, it's a cd with all their videoclips on it
Ó lá go lá, mo thuras...

Niamh
Addicted to Moya

Postby Nigel » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:12 pm

I recently stumbled across an artist called Emma Shapplin. Has anyone heard of her, or does anyone like her music? I looked on her site and it seems she has two albums out, Carmine Meo and Etterna.

Any info and opinions on her would be great :mrgreen:
Nigel
Addicted to Moya

Postby cantilena91 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:29 am

I once had Carmine Meo loaned from the local library, but the pop beat in the background of Emma's songs isn't just my taste! I love the melody of Spente Le Stelle for example, but alas the drumbeat...! Have seen Etterna for sale over here as well, but as I listened to it in the shop once, I just did not like it. Too Sarah Brightman-ish for me, so no thanks!

Suvi
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Anna » Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:15 pm

nessieq wrote:Sorry to interupt the convo.., but i was wondering if anyone had ever heard of/likes/hates an artist called Seth lakeman. I've been listening to some samples of his over on itunes and to me he sounds almost like a male eliza carthy.. could anyone give me some advice?

Basic info: an amazing violinist, Cara Dillon's brother-in-law, a Mercury Music Prize nominee (for Kitty Jay).

I have been a fan of his since I first heard the violin in Cara's High Tide. I had a massive Kitty Jay obsession in the summer of 2004. It may not be everybody's cup of tea, but I love it: John Lomas, The Bold Knight, The Storm, The Ballad of Josie, and, of course, the title track.

I saw him play in November - without his band, just he and his violin - I had not seen such a powerful live performance before and I don't think I will anytime soon. I talked to him after the gig, he was extremely nice.

His new album Freedom Fields was released on the 20th. It is perhaps even better than Kitty J - his singing and song-writing skills have taken a giant leap.

My favourite Seth song is Captain's Court from his album with Steve Knightley (Show of Hands) and Jenna - Western Approaches.

:o Goodness, I sound like a total maniac! But the Dillons and the Lakemans are so talented!
Anna
Enthusiastic Member

Postby nessieq » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:49 pm

LOL, not at all, youre no more a maniac about them than i am about the brennans :mrgreen: Thank you so much for the info, i had no idea cara and seth had any relation at all... I adore her music too. I bought the album 'kitty jay' at the weekend and im really enjoyin it. Thanks for the tip off!! I'm glad i asked! :D
nessieq

Postby Lady Ryu » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:28 pm

cantilena91 wrote:Just letting you know that not all of Era's songs are in latin although they sound like Latin, namely, they ALSO use a fictitious nonsense language!! I have read this from some online source but cannot remember where... But, not everything is in Latin!

Personally I have got some of Era's albums but I listen to them seldom because of so strong guitars & drums! I am not a fan of Enigma for same reasons neither...

Suvi

yeah, i also thought i read that somewhere, but it's a long long while ago, and my memory is bad :lol:. still, it's a made-up language in a latin style it seems to me.
i don't know if they have a new album coming up. and as the 3rd album sounded like the 1st album, i lost a bit interest.

but something great as well are the german "Gregorians". they sing very famous pop songs in a gregorian hymn-style. "Losing my Religion" in that way makes me shiver (not because it's bad, folks! :mrgreen: )
Matteo - always in my heart

Never ever I wished so much that heaven truly exists, and that you are waiting there for me.
Lady Ryu
Addicted to Moya

Postby cantilena91 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:25 pm

Yep, I also got a bit fed up with Era as they seemed to release albums with so "samey" music, so that's why I only have Era, Era 2 and The Mass!

Yep, the group Gregorian Masters of Chant was also very popular here for some time, and the group even performed in Helsinki, but now the interest seems to have passed! I think that people lost interest similarly than what I did with Era, too samey songs album after album! Ha, and Gregorian have also recorded "Evening Falls" by Enya, quite an interesting version that is...!

Suvi
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Anna » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:39 pm

One more thing :D

nessieq wrote:Sorry to interupt the convo.., but i was wondering if anyone had ever heard of/likes/hates an artist called Seth lakeman. I've been listening to some samples of his over on itunes and to me he sounds almost like a male eliza carthy.. could anyone give me some advice?

If there is a male Eliza Carthy, it is her Ratcatchers, John Spiers & Jon Boden. Have you heard of them? They perform as a duo and with the band Bellowhead. If you like Eliza's Rough Music, you will likely enjoy their duo stuff too.

Spiers & Boden official website
Bellowhead official website
Anna
Enthusiastic Member

Postby nessieq » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:02 pm

Anna wrote:One more thing :D

If there is a male Eliza Carthy, it is her Ratcatchers, John Spiers & Jon Boden. Have you heard of them? They perform as a duo and with the band Bellowhead. If you like Eliza's Rough Music, you will likely enjoy their duo stuff too.

Spiers & Boden official website
Bellowhead official website

Yeah- I have that album! Fantastic- I'll go check that out, thanks so much for the advice- I'm glad I asked!
nessieq

PreviousNext

Return to Rattle Bag