The Happy hill

Your platform. Get to know each other (but don't forget about us!)

Moderator: All Moderators

Re: The Happy hill

Postby Grania » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:21 pm

Something I've been hoping for for a long time now has just been confirmed...got a lot of work to do before I'm ready for it, but luckily the confirmation has come early enough to allow for it. Just a few details to sort now - it has seriously brightened up my January!!!! :D
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Macha » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:17 am

Wonderful news, Grania! (((((((((((((((Grania))))))))))))))))))) And nice "graduation" pic! You look great with that smile. :wink: That book, you're holding on the photo - what is that?

I'm just counting the weeks away until I see Tim again - it's so hard to wait! But I'm really looking forward to this - then I'll have him with me for about 2 weeks.
Macha
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:37 am

Thanks Macha :D I realised the other day that I haven't updated my photo here for at least four years, and my graduation pictures are the only recent ones of me that I have. The book was the order of service for the ceremony, with the lists of names etc in, hymns and everything (the ceremony took place in Winchester Cathedral).

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby cantilena91 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:28 pm

Happy again too, as next week I will be wearing my Celtic dress when I will play my tinwhistles & a couple of recorders at a short Celtic-themed "music and prayers" thing at the meeting of a local pensioner's club (the dress is the one I'm wearing in my current avatar pic)! The priestess who takes care of the speaking there will conduct a short interview with me and ask things about the tinwhistles, so I will write myself some notes very soon! Roll on Tuesday!

Suvi
"Your golden breath took darkness away, if I ask, You won't let me go..."
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Macha » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:53 pm

Grania wrote:Thanks Macha :D I realised the other day that I haven't updated my photo here for at least four years, and my graduation pictures are the only recent ones of me that I have. The book was the order of service for the ceremony, with the lists of names etc in, hymns and everything (the ceremony took place in Winchester Cathedral).

Haha, same as me, Grania! :D I also didn't update my pics here for about 4 years - the last one I used here was the pic showing Isabella and me together with Moya after her concert in Stuttgart. So you don't have to worry, dear.
Winchester Cathedral? Sorry, I don't know this location. We didn't visit it when we were in London last September - it have been wonderful days but it was too short. :( And I bought a new rucksack for me there - at a market in China town.
Last edited by Macha on Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Macha
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:13 pm

Mentioning the cathedral was really by way of explaining the strange background in the picture, although I'm not sure how visible it is at that size - the Cathedral is in the centre of the city of Winchester, in Hampshire, it's a good few hours drive from London :) no worries

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby cantilena91 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:52 pm

Have been grinning from ear to ear for the last two days... Namely, on Tuesday I had the long-awaited Celtic prayers & music moment at the local pensioners' club meeting. Before the mini-mass started, the priestess that conducted the event asked me to tell some facts both about the Celtic-style dress set that I was wearing (yes, you should know which one!) AND about the Irish tinwhistles to the audience! Well, finding the information was rather easy thanks to the internet, but the challenge was in how to take the various timelines, years and eras mentioned in various sources into account! Well, I formed some sort of generalizations and compromised with most of the timelines, so I hope that my details were accurate enough for the target audience...

Anyway, the event itself, Music And Prayers á la Celtic style, was the thing for me two days ago, and all in all, it went quite well. Once again some small hiccups with my dry lips and tinwhistles here and there, but nothing too sinister anyway. As the church was not our venue this time, the church acoustics was not there to rescue me, but still the mood there was unbelievable. After the short introduction to tinwhistles and my dress as well as a couple of words from me in Irish Gaelic ("Good day"/"Thank you very much"), the mini-mass then was conducted, and after the final applause from the audience, the priestess, me, and one of the local organists that accompanied me (on the piano) were given a pair of woolen knitted socks each as a thankyou gift, and of course we were invited to the coffee table. Many people came up to me to take a closer look at my instruments as well as my dress, to say thanks and to ask more about all things Celtic, so I had lots of things to comment and answer! And I saw some familiar faces there too, two former teachers of mine (my classteacher from the first two years at school plus another teacher who used to be a substitute for various teachers at junior high school), two additional teachers (a married couple who never taught me but whom I knew from the junior high), as well as the wife of my former senior high school history teacher! So great to see those people after so many years indeed, so needless to say, it brought many warm memories to my mind!

Suvi
"Your golden breath took darkness away, if I ask, You won't let me go..."
cantilena91
Addicted to Moya

Postby Macha » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:44 pm

My next "October Daye" books arrived today. When I've read that the series won't be continued in German - which is really pity for me :cry: - I decided to continue to read the series in English. Two days ago I ordered "Late Eclipses" ("October Daye" book 4) and "One Salt Sea" ("October Daye" book 5) on Amazon and today I got the parcel with the books. :D

And I'm really glad to have my boyfriend - we had a nice call today and I really feel better, when I can tell him about my day. And we're counting the weeks away until we meet again.
Macha
Addicted to Moya

Postby Susann » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:47 pm

cantilena91 wrote:Have been grinning from ear to ear for the last two days... Namely, on Tuesday I had the long-awaited Celtic prayers & music moment at the local pensioners' club meeting. Before the mini-mass started, the priestess that conducted the event asked me to tell some facts both about the Celtic-style dress set that I was wearing (yes, you should know which one!) AND about the Irish tinwhistles to the audience! Well, finding the information was rather easy thanks to the internet, but the challenge was in how to take the various timelines, years and eras mentioned in various sources into account! Well, I formed some sort of generalizations and compromised with most of the timelines, so I hope that my details were accurate enough for the target audience...

Anyway, the event itself, Music And Prayers á la Celtic style, was the thing for me two days ago, and all in all, it went quite well. Once again some small hiccups with my dry lips and tinwhistles here and there, but nothing too sinister anyway. As the church was not our venue this time, the church acoustics was not there to rescue me, but still the mood there was unbelievable. After the short introduction to tinwhistles and my dress as well as a couple of words from me in Irish Gaelic ("Good day"/"Thank you very much"), the mini-mass then was conducted, and after the final applause from the audience, the priestess, me, and one of the local organists that accompanied me (on the piano) were given a pair of woolen knitted socks each as a thankyou gift, and of course we were invited to the coffee table. Many people came up to me to take a closer look at my instruments as well as my dress, to say thanks and to ask more about all things Celtic, so I had lots of things to comment and answer! And I saw some familiar faces there too, two former teachers of mine (my classteacher from the first two years at school plus another teacher who used to be a substitute for various teachers at junior high school), two additional teachers (a married couple who never taught me but whom I knew from the junior high), as well as the wife of my former senior high school history teacher! So great to see those people after so many years indeed, so needless to say, it brought many warm memories to my mind!

Suvi

Hi Suvi, that sounds really, really nice. Thanks for telling us. :) :) :)
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. (Oscar Wilde)
Susann
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Dab051176 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:50 pm

Happy, because I've managed to get a ticket to see Moya in Hoofddorp in April (Just shows how fabulous my knowledge of the geography of the Netherlands is - I've only just realised it's about 10 miles from Schiphol Airport! :roll: ).

Just the small issue of flights and a hotel to sort out now.... :wink:
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:31 pm

We're happy because we now have a Bundle of Joy!!!!!!! :D

On Sunday 29th January at 01:33am, my wife Thea gave birth to Lorelai Marie weighing 6 pounds and 4 ounces (2.85KG). She had to undergo an emergency caesarian because the baby was back-to-back. Both mother and baby are doing well, and will be coming out of hospital tomorrow!

I'm off work until Monday 13th Feb to get to know my litle daughter....
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Susann » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:39 am

Congratulations on the birth of Lorelai Marie to you and your wife!!! May she bring you lots of happiness. :D :D :D

Does the name Lorelai have anything to do with the known rock on the bank of the river Rhine and the story about the mermaid who has lived there?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorelei
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. (Oscar Wilde)
Susann
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Grania » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:14 pm

CONGRATULATIONS ANGUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so pleased, that is truly wonderful news!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby mise » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:42 pm

Wonderful news! Wishing all three of you a beautiful time of bonding together
Cherish all your happy moments: They make a fine cushion for old age
mise

Postby Angoid » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:54 pm

Well done Susann ... you got it in one!
The German spelling is Lorelei, but the Anglicised version is Lorelai (-ai at the end instead of -ei) meaning "Murmuring Rock."
I have uploaded a few pics to Facebook, but you'll need to send me a friend invite to see them as I've only made them available to friends:
https://www.facebook.com/angus.cook
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Fan space