Annoying things

Your platform. Get to know each other (but don't forget about us!)

Moderator: All Moderators

Postby Angoid » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:48 am

I'm a kid of divorced parents .... they split and divorced when I was in my late teens. Then a year later I got Hodgkin's Disease, a form of cancer.

I'm sure it was bottled stress that did it, coupled with the feeling that I had nobody to talk to. But that's all waaaaaaaay in the past now.

It's really horrible - the constant arguing, the feeling that you're trapped somehow, the inner turmoil it creates whenever your hear them squabble, etc, etc...

You've got my deepest sympathies.

Kevinkells, my pet hate is tailgaters when it comes to driving. Some people sit just inches off your rear bumber at motorway speeds. It's so dangerous .... if an emergency was to happen right in front of me (has been known) then theyy'd have no chance.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby kevinkells » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:13 pm

Yes Angoid; tailgaters can be unnerving especially when their vehicles are a lot larger than yours...like a truck or a bus etc.
kevinkells
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Grania » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:45 pm

I'm very irritated at my lecturer at the moment.

I've got three massive assignments to do over the holidays, and not a lot of time now left. One of these assignments involves taking two contrasting tourism/heritage environments and comparing/contrasting them etc (details very boring). When we were given it to do my lecturer said we should e-mail her to check that the sites we wanted to work with were ok. In the same lecture she gave us the outline of our assessment for next semester. I e-mailed her before New Year to ask if the sites I'd chosen were ok, and she gets back to me saying that if I was thinking of the assignment for next semester I'd got totally the wrong end of the stick.
:x
Now, does it really make a lot of sense that I'd be trying to do the assessment for NEXT semester when I've got the one for this semester waiting to be done???????? She set the work for heaven's sake, she should know what I'm talking about!!!!!!
Worst of all, I e-mailed saying which one I was talking about and she STILL hasn't answered, so I can't get on with my work :x
*grumble grumble grumble*
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Luned » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:13 pm

((((((((((Grania)))))))))))) yeah, I know what you mean. I've been in a more or less similar situation over the past few days, too, only in my case it was about team-work and at some point we got a bit confused about what we were doing but I hope it will turn out fine in the end. I'd blame it on this time of the year. I mean people go away on holidays for the Christmas/New Year break and it's sometimes hard to contact them. Still, I hope your lecturer will answer you soon enough for you to still have time to do your assignment, G. Besides, you're probably not the only one to find yourself in such a situation - what about your fellow students? Have they had their websites approved yet?
Luned
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:32 pm

Teamwork: A few harmless flakes working together can cause an avalanche of destruction :lol:

Seriously. That really sucks, G. Is there any other way you can get hold of your lecturer? Such as telephone? If they've set some work for you to do and said they'd be available, then they should be on tap. That's what they're paid for.

Here's one that's annoyed me over the past few months:
As some of you know, I recently moved house. That entails advising all the companies and services with which you do business of your new address.
And then there is the handful of charities that I support as well.

The charities have been especially bad at updating their records. In November, I sent them all a letter advising of my new address and making a donation. My letter asked each of them to write back to me advising that they have updated my address on file. I also made the decision that any that did not update my details in a timely fashion would no longer receive my support - but I didn't put that in my letter.

About half of them replied thanking me for the donation, and only one advised that my details had been updated. One of them sent a thank-you letter to my new address (making no mention of my address change), and then two appeals in quick succession for money to my old address (which I received thanks to the Royal Mail redirection service).

So they didn't care, basically. Money money money - that's all they were clearly interested in.

Today I received another Royal Mail forwarded one from a cancer charity. So no word of thanks or "we've updated your details" - just another appeal sent to my old address.

That really annoys me. It's rude. It's inconsiderate. It's thoughtless and inefficient. They clearly think that their appeals are far more important than supporter appreciation.

I simply don't have the time to tell everyone that I've moved multiple times - I figure that any charities that fail to update my details in a timely way are not worth supporting any longer. Period.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby nessieq » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:03 pm

Grania wrote:I'm very irritated at my lecturer at the moment.

I've got three massive assignments to do over the holidays, and not a lot of time now left. One of these assignments involves taking two contrasting tourism/heritage environments and comparing/contrasting them etc (details very boring). When we were given it to do my lecturer said we should e-mail her to check that the sites we wanted to work with were ok. In the same lecture she gave us the outline of our assessment for next semester. I e-mailed her before New Year to ask if the sites I'd chosen were ok, and she gets back to me saying that if I was thinking of the assignment for next semester I'd got totally the wrong end of the stick.
:x
Now, does it really make a lot of sense that I'd be trying to do the assessment for NEXT semester when I've got the one for this semester waiting to be done???????? She set the work for heaven's sake, she should know what I'm talking about!!!!!!
Worst of all, I e-mailed saying which one I was talking about and she STILL hasn't answered, so I can't get on with my work :x
*grumble grumble grumble*

Aaaw G that sounds like a royal pain in the posterior. What an eejit! On the plus side, however, excellent excuse to not do your work! :mrgreen: When's it due?
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby Grania » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:07 pm

It's due on the 20th and I haven't started yet!! :shock: :shock: :shock: (well, unless you count a trip to Hampton Court Palace for a special event...all for research of course :lol:) I've also got an economics assignment for the same time and a portfolio that's about 2000 words under :shock: :shock: :shock: The economics isn't due until February but I'm only going back for 24 hours to hand them all in.

G starting to feel juuuust a bit stressed :( I was physcially shaking for quite a while yesterday evening, and it seems to have been because of this :?

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby nessieq » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:10 pm

Me too. I've decided that Cambridge is about trying to break you, and if you manage to survive it with some thread of sanity left then they reward you with a degree. Currently, I'm supposed to get my portfolio, dissertation, french essay, poetry essay, critical theory and reading list completed by the time I get back. I've done about half the portfolio, and have decided the dissertation is so bad I need to re-write most of it, and have read a few of the books on the list.
I go back on Thursday :P
But it'll be fine! Fine fine fine. What's the worst that could happen? So we don't get our portfolios done to the best of our ability. So what? It doesn't make us terrible people. THey don't hang, draw and quarter people who don't hand in essays on time (although I've heard getting deaned is probably worse...!! :lol: ) We'll get through it, G!
A big hug to anyone who feels stressed -over studies, or otherwise.
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
nessieq

Postby Grania » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:13 pm

(((((((Ness)))))))) I guess I've got nothing really to complain about :) Thing is, and forgive me for saying it, but from what I've heard you say you love what you're doing :) Me...I can't bring myself to give it up...but at the same time.................yeah, well.

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby nessieq » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:41 pm

Grania wrote:(((((((Ness)))))))) I guess I've got nothing really to complain about :)

Nonsense! Stress is stress, regardless. Hence the hug.
nessieq

Postby Luned » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:48 pm

Grania wrote:Me...I can't bring myself to give it up...but at the same time.................yeah, well.

beginnings tend to be rather hard and I hope it's only that and you will love what you're studying, too, in a while. Take good care of yourself.
Luned
Addicted to Moya

Postby koseklumpen » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:52 pm

Yay, I can join the stressed student group here :x n
(((((((ness, grania)))))))) I am with you!!!!!!!!

an Assignment that's due next monday
a poster due next monday,
an assignment to due until the 15th
a presentation due next thursday
amend the assignment until 22nd
exam on the 23rd

and oh I forgot Exam this thursday and I haven't read much yet.... :shock: But hey, congratulations to me: at least I remember all the dates (well, at least I think I do :roll: )
Take a music bath once or twice a week for a few seasons, and you will find that it is to the soul what the water bath is to the body.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
koseklumpen
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Eternal_Silence » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:55 pm

Birds who poop on the wrong moment! I was the lucky one to be their target last week (eww!).
I swear that they aim and go like: hah I hit one!
The turn of the day, when all music fools come out to play until the drunk turn of night.
http://www.singingriver.deviantart.com
Eternal_Silence
Addicted to Moya

Postby Dab051176 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:08 pm

((((((((((((Ness)))))))))))) I know this is Cambridge we're talking about, but that's a ridiculous workload by anyone's standards! :roll: Given that you're clearly going to need a separate suitcase for all your essays on the flight back, are they paying your excess baggage charge?!!! :lol: :lol: Seriously, though, Ness, "what's the worst that can happen" is probably the most sensible attitude you could have right now - why didn't I think of that when I needed it?!

(((((((((((G)))))))))))))) No course, job, or anything else is worth getting stressed, or becoming ill for. It really sounds like you need to have a good chat with someone at the University. At the end of the day, it's in their interests to make sure you're happy. If you're not, then tell them, and give them a chance to put it right.

Given the discussion we had about your marks before Christmas, you've proved that you can do what they're asking of you - and more. If you just need a little bit more support to keep that up, then any University worth its salt would want to help - if they don't, then there's something wrong with their set-up.

Whatever you do decide to do, everyone here is behind you - but you've got to make sure you look after number 1 in a situation like this!
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby nessieq » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:29 pm

Eternal_Silence wrote:Birds who poop on the wrong moment! I was the lucky one to be their target last week (eww!).
I swear that they aim and go like: hah I hit one!

Aaaaw marlies that's horrible! And how embarassing and groooooss. Yuck! You poor thing.

It did, however, remind me of a funny story... We used to have this teacher at school who had a reputation for being reaaaaally nasty. He was really big, and really strong, and reaaaally scary and everyone trembled as he walked past in the corridor. One day, we were all out in the playground, and he was patroling around the edges, just waiting for someone to pounce on. Sure enough, a boy started running (strictly forbidden in a small playground with a few hundred kids in it) and Dowdell caught him. He had him up against a wall while the rest of us, stunned, looked on in horror. Just as he was taking a huuuuuge breath so he could really lay into this poor kid, a seagull appeared as if from nowhere and dropped something large and smelly directly on Dowdell's bald patch. After a stunned silence (on his behalf as well as all the kids'), there was a huge cheer from the entire playground, and Dowdell turned, so lost for words he couldn't even yell at us.

So -I hope that might have made you laugh, despite your horrible experience!
nessieq

PreviousNext

Return to Fan space