Do you object.....

Your platform. Get to know each other (but don't forget about us!)

Moderator: All Moderators

Would you object to the Mods editing post that contains the Lord's name taken in vain?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:02 pm

Yes
25%
No
50%
Don't care either way
25%

Total votes : 32

Postby Turlough » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:04 pm

As long as the moderation is done by people, I think it will be reasonable. Software-based filters can have undesired consequences - that way lies Lunity :wink: :wink: :wink:

Invoking the Lord's Name outside of prayer or religious discussion is partly understandable when it is an expression of incredulous awe, but can be softened to "My word!" or the like. Careless usage beyond that merely disgusts.

BTW, what shall we do about a signature line using an antiquated Lord's-Name phrase in quoting Elizabeth I? :wink:
"We can be children of Paradise" Justin Hayward
Turlough
Addicted to Moya

Postby mise » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:07 pm

I too object to posts being modified. Changing posts to Oh goodness or gosh really imply the same thing. Goodness I would assume is directed at God as him being Goodness, Gosh is really nothing but a modification of His name. Any exclamation like this then should be taken out.

It is a very difficult matter, because in many ways offensive wordings are incorporated in our languages. Some might no longer be seen as offensive or are offensive in one language but not in another. This is the same for the religious matter that is discussed here.
Here in Holland people have no problem shouting the smelly S word, where as in English speaking countries this is almost unacceptable. That is just one difference for example.

Secondly I object because people who use the expression really do not mean any harm. I assume this is what Phantas was pointing out. For some people they are no more than a couple of words that express a certain feeling. By thinking of those who might take offence, we should also consider those who express themselves this way. They have as much right to do so as others do to take that offence. Somehow those who feel offended would be favoured here.

So there is a Yes there from me :wink:
Cherish all your happy moments: They make a fine cushion for old age
mise

Postby nessieq » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:13 pm

Woops- didnt read the poll right, and voted for the wrong one :oops: I've no objection at all.. In fact I was one of the ones that brought this up in the first place- the reason being that we mods have been editing posts which say such things and were kind of concerned people might not like that.

Speaking as an individual, I really dislike hearing people use His name in vain- I dont think it has anything to do with discrimination, but rather mere courtesy. It's your choice whether or not you want to be a Christian, but I think you should respect if other people are, it's just manners.

Just my two cents!

n.
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
-T. S. Eliot, 'Little Gidding' V
nessieq

Postby Phantas » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:56 pm

oh golly...I realize now I voted no where I should have voted "yes" *slaps himself in the face*

I read the question wrong and voted too soon I guess... :roll:

Love,
Phantas
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby nessieq » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:01 pm

Phantas wrote:oh golly...I realize now I voted no where I should have voted "yes" *slaps himself in the face*

Love,
Phantas

LOL, well, I voted 'yes' where I should have 'no', so it's even anyway :lol: We should learn to read, shouldnt we, phantas??? :wink:
nessieq

Postby the whistleplayer » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:17 pm

I would mind moderators going through my posts and editing them in a way they feel appropriate. So we start by allowing moderators editing our posts when God's name is used 'in vain', in their opinion. What's next? Are we going to be the next Enyafans forum with another Violet who blocks everyone she doesn't agree with?

Who's to decide when God's name is used in vain? I don't like other people to tell me what I can write and what I can't write. And if someone would mind what I write, I would prefer them to send me a message so I can decide for myself if I want to edit my post, instead of just editing them whenever they want to.

Secondly, I don't like other people to modify my posts in general, because it's possible that they haven't understood correctly what I've written and if they'd change my post, they could distort my message.
Anyway, I would contact the admin if I'd notice that somebody modified my messages. I don't like it when other people do things behind my back.
I have no hobbies, only obsessions... :mrgreen:
the whistleplayer
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Phantas » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:31 pm

nessieq wrote:
Phantas wrote:oh golly...I realize now I voted no where I should have voted "yes" *slaps himself in the face*

Love,
Phantas

LOL, well, I voted 'yes' where I should have 'no', so it's even anyway :lol: We should learn to read, shouldnt we, phantas??? :wink:

LOL - definitely ;)

love,
Phantas
lost in the aether, leave a message...
Phantas
Addicted to Moya

Postby Fjalladís » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:57 pm

ah, I also voted wrong. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Overread the word object and only voted "NO", but of course I meant yes (as may be coming clear from my post ;) )
what about a new poll?
Für jetzt bleiben Glaube, Hoffnung, Liebe, diese drei; doch am größten unter ihnen ist die Liebe.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Fjalladís
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby nessieq » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:43 pm

Hmm.. I wonder if there's a way of restarting it and re wording it slightly? No slight to Beth intended, but it's a little confusing if you're speed reading... Any admins help me out? I can't see a way to restart it without making a seperate poll... :?
nessieq

Postby Grania » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:39 pm

ogre wrote:
BTW, what shall we do about a signature line using an antiquated Lord's-Name phrase in quoting Elizabeth I? :wink:

Thank you ogre! I've been meaning to change that for a loooooong time! I put it up before I'd really translated the language properly :oops: Thank you for reminding me! :)

EDIT - done! Thanks again :wink:
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Macha » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:37 pm

Grania wrote:
ogre wrote:

Thank you ogre! I've been meaning to change that for a loooooong time! I put it up before I'd really translated the language properly :oops: Thank you for reminding me! :)

EDIT - done! Thanks again :wink:

No offense, Grania, but your sig seems to be so empty now without the first part of the quote from Elizabeth I.
Macha
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:44 pm

Just reading through this since I last looked here, and while I still hold that taking the Lord's name in vain should be edited, it should also be pointed out that a PM would be sent to anyone whose posts have been edited in this way advising them of the fact, and maybe including a link to the post in question.

The idea is not to cause any kind of embarrassment to people posting that sort of language, but making it clear that it is not acceptable. Again, I'm posting as me ... Angus ... a person.

mise wrote:Here in Holland people have no problem shouting the smelly S word, where as in English speaking countries this is almost unacceptable

And the "smelly S word" would be ..... ? Sorry, no offence intended, but does this not highlight the exact point? My guess is that you didn't use the word in question because you know it would cause offence to some people, even though everyone here knows exactly what word you meant. It's exactly the same with using "Oh my goodness!" or "Oh gosh!"

Therefore, to me, this emphasises that if people don't want their language moderated out, don't use language that you intuitively know will offend other people.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Beth » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:51 pm

I apologise.. I assumed that it would go without saying that a PM would be sent to the poster.

And yes, while oh my gosh is a play on the original phrase, it is still far less offensive. But still, the mod staff would like to hear everyone's opinion so please keep them coming :)
Beth
Addicted to Moya

Postby Eternal_Silence » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:59 pm

I voted the last one, because I didn't really know whether to choose yes or no. I would object, because some people are not religious or anything and don't mind using his name in vain, but I also think you must respect the people who do believe in god and find it hurting to see his name being used in vain :) So: I don't really mind, Though I would feel a bit annoyed if I used the sentence 'Oh my god' and it would be edited, because it's just a normal expression to me =P

The turn of the day, when all music fools come out to play until the drunk turn of night.
http://www.singingriver.deviantart.com
Eternal_Silence
Addicted to Moya

Postby Beth » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:25 pm

To be quite fair, Marlies, my brother's vocab consists of words that would even make a sailor blush.. yet mine does not and I'm appaled by words like that.

Beth speaking.. I take quite a bit of offense to the Lord's name taken in vain as I am a Christain and in the Bible, that is one of our commandments: 'Thou shall not take the Lord's name in vain'. I have no problem with a moderator going into my post as long as it is something that I know before hand that is what they are doing/have done.. such as sending me a PM or catching me on MSN and letting me know.
Beth
Addicted to Moya

PreviousNext

Return to Fan space