The Wish Me Luck Club

Your platform. Get to know each other (but don't forget about us!)

Moderator: All Moderators

Postby Memory of Trees » Mon May 04, 2009 10:27 pm

Thank you A_S for the luck. I'm going to need it. Spanish is my 2nd language, but I can speak it just as well as I can English. My teacher was helping us review today, and she said all of us could get a 5 if we put our efforts at it. :lol:

About my US test on Friday, all my teacher said was, "We'll talk about it on Friday!". :?

And thank you everyone for all the wishes! I would also like to wish everyone a lot of "good luck", especially the fellow forumers who are taking exams. :)
Memory of Trees

Postby Anya » Tue May 05, 2009 8:20 pm

I also want to wish good luck to all those taking exams. :D
Anything is possible, if you believe.
Anya
Addicted to Moya

Postby A_S » Thu May 07, 2009 12:11 am

So, how is it going for everyone? I have 2 tests down, three to go. The Calculus exam today seemed like it went fairly well, but I don't know yet. My teacher was very confident in our abilities, and she doesn't give out compliments lightly, so that is a good sign. Tomorrow is English Literature!
A_S
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Grania » Thu May 07, 2009 9:30 am

Forgive my ignorance, but I've heard mention of 'Calculus' as a subject a lot recently...what exactly is it? Is is just like mathematics? :oops:
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Turlough » Thu May 07, 2009 1:49 pm

G,
The Calculus is a branch of mathematics beyond Algebra, and it deals with functions, where one variable depends on another. A teacher or professor could devise Calculus problems having to do with the strings in musical instruments, though they would be very advanced.
:wink:
"We can be children of Paradise" Justin Hayward
Turlough
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Thu May 07, 2009 6:25 pm

:shock: And that's compulsory??? My goodness, I'm glad I went to school over here :lol:

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby A_S » Thu May 07, 2009 7:25 pm

No, it's not compulsory, don't worry. It's one level above the level normally reached in high school, and three levels above what is minimally required to graduate, at least in New York State. In my school they choose who will eventually take Calculus by age ten and "track" your math sequence accordingly, because it involves essentially skipping a year. It's fairly common though and not a big deal.
As Turlough said, Calculus basically helps you get a better understanding of mathematical functions. One basic and fundamental facet of calculus is the derivative, which measures the instantaneous rate of change of a function. This is also useful in physics and other sciences, since functions are often used to model phenomena. :) And for me it's over (until next year that is)! 8)
A_S

Postby Memory of Trees » Thu May 07, 2009 7:56 pm

In my school, Calculus is taken by seniors, and it is not compulsory. :) Its a necessary math in Meterology, Physics, anything to do with the Earth Sciences. :)

I have my AP US History exam tommorow, and then next week I have my Enlgish Languge exam. The hardest one of them all for me is the one tommrow, so, Wish me luck! :D
Moving to the Pagan Sound..... :)
Memory of Trees

Postby A_S » Thu May 07, 2009 10:35 pm

Good luck with US! I have European History tomorrow... We haven't even gotten to WWII in lecture... :lol: That test doesn't matter as much for me, though, since I won't get any credit at university for it, so it is ok.

English Literature today was fairly easy, so maybe English Language will be as well. Good luck!
A_S

Postby Dab051176 » Fri May 08, 2009 8:32 am

Grania wrote::shock: And that's compulsory??? My goodness, I'm glad I went to school over here :lol:

Calculus is usually on A-level maths courses over here, G - so if (like me) you only did GCSE maths, you probably won't have come across it....

From what the others have said, I think it's just as well, too - it's definitely beyond my brain! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Eternal_Silence » Fri May 08, 2009 5:59 pm

Good luck everyone with exams!! =D I can join in the exam-group too. And my Religion-teacher decided to let us write a rather big paper with a due-date in my exam week, which is within 2 weeks. How very convenient! I have so many things to do that I don't know where to begin, aahh... I wish it was summervacation already!
The turn of the day, when all music fools come out to play until the drunk turn of night.
http://www.singingriver.deviantart.com
Eternal_Silence
Addicted to Moya

Postby the whistleplayer » Sat May 09, 2009 9:58 am

I'm having a job interview on Wednesday! It's a British school, and it would be great if I could get a job there. I have to do a lesson :shock:
I'm quite excited and nervous, but also looking forward to seeing the school.
I have no hobbies, only obsessions... :mrgreen:
the whistleplayer

Postby Grania » Sat May 09, 2009 11:29 am

I'm not taking an exam exactly, but I've got a 4000 word assignment to do...by Tuesday, and I've done about 600 words so far. It's my only assessment for this module...

Help me :shock:

I heard Your voice
Step By Step
Grania

Postby Anya » Sat May 09, 2009 6:27 pm

Good luck on your job interview.

Grania, Good luck on your assignment.
Anything is possible, if you believe.
Anya
Addicted to Moya

Postby Memory of Trees » Sat May 09, 2009 7:31 pm

Good Luck Grania on your assignment. I have two essays to write this weekend so I feel your pain. ;)

Good Luck to everyone else taking an exam. :)
Moving to the Pagan Sound..... :)
Memory of Trees

PreviousNext

Return to Fan space