Gweedore Gathering: 2006?

Your platform. Get to know each other (but don't forget about us!)

Moderator: All Moderators

Would you be interested in a Gweedore Gathering 2006?

Absolutely!!
67%
Maybe, just maybe
33%
No way!!
No votes

Total votes : 36

Postby Jim » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:49 pm

H.E.N wrote:hey Jim!

Cool that you're an Iona fan as well! No, I do not know Kansas....if they are sort of inspired by Iona, I'd love to hear that song!!!
Thanks

Hester

Actually, Kansas existed long before Iona, and Iona's instrumentation (the rock instrumentation, not the Celtic instrumentation) is very much like that of Kansas. Also, both bands tend to play long songs with rhythm and/or key changes and long (and often LOUD) instrumental breaks. However, this is a later Kansas album, and the lyrics of this song sound very Iona-like. So maybe we're talking about mutual inspiration here. :D

Anyway, if you send me your e-mail address in a private message, I'll see what I can do for you! 8)

Le gra,
Jim
http://ezfolk.com/audio/bands/894/index.php

Dieu de service, et Dieu seulement.
Jim
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Keara » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:28 pm

wonky_eggs wrote:
Keara wrote:Aw, it bites being 14. :cry: I'd SO love to go to Ireland, and with you guys even more. But, my money and parents would never allow it.

At least I have you guys here, and that's a great thing! :wink:

Stephanie

Maybe you can come along for Gweedore Gathering 2010 - there's bound to be more! :)

Brilliant! :shock:
Me and both my best friends, Danika and Sarah, are starting to plan a "Last trip" together for our graduation, which is in three years.
The down side is, I don't have all the facts I need... BUT! There's always research! And I'm planning on teaching them (as well as myself) some Gaelic to get along. What fun! :D
But we do have to raise a bunch of money each-- Crossing the ocean can be rather expensive. Plus the passport... plus the driver' liscence when we come to age. It's all so... so... exciting!

Stephanie
Last edited by Keara on Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keara
Enthusiastic Member

Postby Hester » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:47 pm

Jim wrote:
H.E.N wrote:hey Jim!

Cool that you're an Iona fan as well! No, I do not know Kansas....if they are sort of inspired by Iona, I'd love to hear that song!!!
Thanks

Hester

Actually, Kansas existed long before Iona, and Iona's instrumentation So maybe we're talking about mutual inspiration here. :D

Anyway, if you send me your e-mail address in a private message, I'll see what I can do for you! 8)

Le gra,
Jim

Oops :oops: I apologize I didn't realize that it could also have been the other way around....Iona influenced by Kansas. But yeah, mutual inspiration is very possible...I'll send you my adress although I have had people trying to send me songs through email before but somehow it didn't work out. Oh well, we'll see :D If it doesn't work out I can add you to my MSN list and you can send it to me through MSN, that sure does work!

Thanks, it is always good to meet people who are into the same kind of music as I am :D And I looooooove to hear about other bands and artists that you favour because if we have a common interest in one band.....it is very likely we also have a common interest in another band. So I am very curious....can't wait to hear the song.

Hester
Love takes off the mask we fear we cannot live without an know we cannot live within - James Baldwin
Hester
Addicted to Moya

Postby beth2 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:23 pm

i can go next year with guys yes yes but mum want to from you guys what i need and where to meet and how much money is it and time

love beth2 :wink:
beth2

Postby richard » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:03 pm

cannot wait to meet u fruit cakes in the summer :wink:
Richard.
richard
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby beth2 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:50 pm

COULDNT AGREE MORE THEY ARE FRUIT CAKES HE HE HE HE

BETH2
beth2

Postby Grania » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:54 pm

:lol: :lol: We're crazy but......I wouldn't say Fruit Cakes *looks at nessie :wink: *
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby beth 2 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:17 am

cant wait till i go next year but mum says she wants to know more about it

beth2
beth 2

Postby Angoid » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:42 am

Hi beth2,

It's understandable that your mother would like to know more about it, and I for one am glad she does (I'd also be concerned if I had a daughter wanting to go away with bunch of people from the Internet without knowing anything about it beforehand).

I think the best thing is to outline what happened this year ... others will no doubt add their reports (won't they Grania and Nessie?!?!!!??!?! :D )

We met up in Gweedore, Co. Donegal, in a place called Bunbeg and Derrybeg. Present were Mise, Nessie, Grania, AndyPandy, a friend of his called Dave, Lizzy (Lizzy1e on the forum), and me. Nessie and Grania were with family members.

We did a few basic Irish lessons on some of the mornings (which was fun!) and then went out (either as a large group, smaller groups, or as individuals) at other times.

One highlight for all of use was when we went to Leo's Tavern, which is where Clannad, Moya, and Enya all started their careers. It was a lovely evening of food, fun, and Leo himself providing some music.

On another day the girls went shopping while the men went up Mount Errigal, the highest peak in Donegal.

Then we had this lovely beach barbecue on Bunbeg beach one evening. The sun was shining through this crack in the clouds, and never disappeared for about 2 hours!

Another day we went for a drive (guided by Mise who knows the area really well), stopping off at nice little places for the views, etc. and listening to the appropriate Clannad songs (for example, listening to The Poison Glen while at The Poison Glen, and the same with the Bridge of Tears).

Other times people were alone or with their families (e.g. Nessie and Grania) and we'd meet up a bit later on, or the next day.

I'll post a link here to some of the photos I took; others will no doubt do the same then you can see the scenery, etc.

Gweedore Gathering, July 2005

Obviously what happens next year will be different - it won't be a re-run of this year's event, but there will be some similarities :)

I hope that helps ... as I say, I'm sure others will come in and do the same!
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby beth 2 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:23 pm

cheers but what she ment was what time do we meet and dates but i live in scotland and live nowhwere near ferrys that meens that someone would half to pick me up.

beth2 :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
beth 2

Postby Grania » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:55 pm

Angus said I'd add my bit...and who am I to disappoint? :lol:

My parents and I arrived at Bunbeg on the Sunday evening 24th July, and the whole gathering ran into each other (or me and nessie did anyway :lol: :wink: ) on the beach about half an hour later. We walked, and discussed what we'd do the next day.

Monday morning was Gaelic lessons :lol: and in the afternoon the boys climbed Errigal while the girls did the REALLY hard and IMPORTANT work (no, not shopping Angus! Although we did browse :lol: ) and put the Tribute Book for Moya together :D
That evening we went to Leo's, which is a story in itself ...... I'll never live that rendition of 'Two Sisters' down :lol: and got back to bed sometime during November :wink:

Tuesday was more lessons - come on everyone, sing Lisa with me! - and then our drive around the area with appropriate soundtracking and etherealness *starts rolling on floor at memory* and the BBQ - excellent craic!

Wednesday was my last day, as my parents and me were off to Co Mayo *eyes glaze over* so we had our last lesson then a farewell lunch in Leo's.

That do you all? :lol: lol, I talk too much :roll: :wink:

etherealness - is that a new werd? :mrgreen:
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby beth2 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:09 pm

well no you dont theres nothing wrong with talking too much coz i do

beth2 :) :)
beth2

Postby stephw » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:13 pm

We don't know the dates and times and so on right now. People are trying to get a feel for the interest. Closer to the summer, I am sure that someone will propose dates so that it can be negotiated. Then the interested people that are able to go will start to book their travel (airplanes, ferries, etc.). I hope that helps.

Stephanie
stephw
Enthusiastic Member

Postby beth2 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:38 pm

DID YOU SAY AIR PLANES I HATE FLIYING BUT DONT MIND FERRYS.

:shock: :shock: BETH2
beth2

Postby Angoid » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:52 pm

Hi Beth!

It's likely to be the third full week in July as it was this year. But don't hold us to that, because absolutely nothing is planned at this stage .... that won't begin to happen until into the new year realistically.

I'm not sure of the ferry routes from Scotland to Ireland, but there's still plenty of time to search for that :)

The flight would only be short .... probably no more than 1/2 to 3/4 hour or so, so unless you really hate flying it might still be possible for you to do it that way.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Fan space