The Unhappy hill :/

Your platform. Get to know each other (but don't forget about us!)

Moderator: All Moderators

Postby dids » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:46 am

I understand what you mean, G. Same kind of problem in many part of France, a bit of snow and it's the whole mess!
The real goal should be to permanently progress, to be better than yourself rather than being better than others (Albert Jacquard).
dids
Really Enthusiastic Member

Postby Grania » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:02 am

Don't get me wrong, I know I'm not the only one, and not the worst off by a long way. It just makes me so cross that people have to make so much fuss! As you say Dubhy, a few inches is nothing compared to so many other places, and get people just can't (or won't?) deal with it. Even my Dad turned around to me last night and said 'well, we just don't know when it's going to hit, unlike other places' - but what difference should that make really? Yes, a little, but the fact is winter will come and some point, and although the UK isn't badly hit every year, it costs so much when it does happen that you'd think they would want to have as much in place as possible to prevent the disruption...I'm afraid I just don't understand it, but then maybe I'm just being unreasonable in the eyes of the authorities...no idea.

I hope everyone is ok anyway? - Dave, stay in touch!
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Angoid » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:15 pm

Yeah, I agree also. Snow does look beautiful, but it does make it treacherous to get around.

On Tuesday evening, my half-an-hour drive home from work took 2.5 hours. I needed a bit of time to do various things then, and of course it didn't happen.

Since Wednesday, I've been using public transport because we couldn't get the car out of the drive. That means 1.5 hours each way each day.

No, I'm not trying to blow my own trumpet here as I'm only doing what's required of me to get to work and back, but you accommodate.

The buses and trams here seem to be running pretty much to normal - clearly if they weren't, I'd be goosed.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Purveyor of fine sarcasm since 1966.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Dab051176 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:22 pm

((((((((((Angus))))))))) Good to see you around, mate!

((((((((((G)))))))))) It's started raining here, albeit only the light stuff. Think positive, it might get rid of at least some of the white stuff if it does get as far as your part of the world. Having said that, it still ain't quite shorts and t-shirt weather still round here!!!! :mrgreen:
Dave

From Wales...via Birmingham!!!!
Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Grania » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:45 am

Hey Angus! :D

Yeah it rained here last night too - but I have to say that's worrying me more than the snow, because if that freezes :? :? :?

Ah well, shopping time anyway. Mum and me now have time to do emergency alterations to 18th century clothing :mrgreen: (it's nuts, I'm more interested in the fashionable style of my sleeves - for 1740 - than in anything 'fashionable' in the shops :lol: )
Music and friendship - the answer to life's problems.

I heard Your voice
Whisper to the wild water
Step By Step
Slowly I turn - Máire Brennan
Grania

Postby Dubhy63 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:56 pm

It's raining here too,I'm getting my skates ready because the forecast for tonight is -4 ° c :mrgreen:
* No man ever wore a scarf as warm as his daughter’s arm around his neck.*
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:19 pm

Thanks folks :)

Problem is, we now have ice beneath the snow here.

When it freezes 24/7, that's actually better than having a slight thaw during the day and then another hard overnight frost, because then you get a thin film of water over the snow which then freezes rock hard.

The forecasters are giving us a couple of 'days off' at the end of the week ... hopefully it'll be enough to get rid of it all, especially on the roads and paths, because it's so treacherous that it's jjust crazy.
If you don't know what eschatology is then don't worry; it's not the end of the world.
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Dab051176 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:12 pm

With a bit of luck, respite is on its way!!! It's still sub-zero here tonight, but only just!!!

Treacherous is an understatement for the ice around here, though. For reasons unfathomable, my employer has decided not to grit the car park at work for the last couple of days, which meant that I've had to skate around on the ice to get to my wheelchair in the car boot - which I'm using to *ahem* stop me from skating around on the ice!!!! :P :lol: :lol: :lol: That aside, anybody could slip and injure themselves on ice - I'm just a bit more practised at it! :mrgreen:

Who makes the decisions on these things, I know not - but frankly if they had brains, they'd be a danger to themselves!!!! :roll:
Dave

Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Dubhy63 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:25 pm

The same here regarding the ice ,it's lethal at the moment.We got snow during the night,followed by sleet and rain and temperatures not higher than 1°.Add to this the current temperature of -5° and it will not be hard to guess the state of the roads and paths :shock:
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:55 am

Yeah ... they're currently forecasting a positively balmy 7 degrees C for Saturday.

Get your shorts, T-shirts and swimwear out - it may be the only opportunity you get!
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Dab051176 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:48 pm

Angoid wrote:Yeah ... they're currently forecasting a positively balmy 7 degrees C for Saturday.

Get your shorts, T-shirts and swimwear out - it may be the only opportunity you get!

At this rate, I think I'm more likely to need WD-40 than sun tan lotion, Angus - I think I've started to seize up!!!! :wink: :mrgreen:
Dave

Dab051176
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:09 pm

Temperatures for the next day of 1C and 3C have been described by the freezing forecasters as "mild".

I'm just wondering what they're going to call it when, in the middle of the year, it's 13C with horizontal rain and a Force 9 Westerly driving it hard into our faces.

Perhaps that'll be called "Tropical" 8)
Angoid
Technical Administrator

Postby Dubhy63 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:51 pm

I'm typing this on the balcony while I'm enjoying a cool drink on this warm winter's evening of 3° :mrgreen:
Dubhy63
Addicted to Moya

Postby Turlough » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:16 am

My car needed a new ignition coil last month, then it failed emissions inspection because the on-board computer had been reset and it needed 100 miles of driving, which never satified the computer. Next, it put on a Service Engine light, and after not finding the trouble my mechanic sent me to the nearest dealer, who found the valves needed adjusting. Now it's back to needing 100 miles or more of driving, a month of the grace period gone, one month remaining, to get the car's on-board computer to a "ready" state. After that, who knows what I'll have to do?

Who wants a 2007 Honda Misfit? :?
"We can be children of Paradise" Justin Hayward
Turlough
Addicted to Moya

Postby Angoid » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:11 pm

After that, who knows what I'll have to do?

Replace the computer? :mrgreen:
Angoid
Technical Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Fan space